Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel prices.  (Read 1539 times)

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
Diesel prices.
« on: 10 January 2012, 19:35:06 »

Filled up @ the yard yesterday morning (400 litres) in the "new" truck, (gone from an 06 TGA M.A.N common rail engine to a 57 euro London friendly engine) Left Immingham, over to Hull to load the box, tip @ Melton Mowbray, reload Thetford & park up @ Doncaster, still adjusting to running on a digi card!! This morning back to Hull to swap over to tip another Melton Mowbray, no reload, empty back to Immingham. By the time i left Hull this morning i was down to just over quarter of a tank & decided i'd top up on the A1 before coming off on the A607 for Melton but being on auto pilot i forgot by which time the fuel gauge was nearly on the empty & the display was flashing a little petrol pump & telling me to refuel. No truck friendly fuel til i'd tipped Melton & got back to the A1!!! I could'nt dip the tank as it's an anti syphon jobbie. I tipped & made it back to Grantham services where i slung £50 in just to get home. That only gave me 33 litres, the gauge hardly moved although the flashing fuel pump stopped until i was between Lincoln & Scunny where it came on again. I made it back to the yard where i got 410 litres in a 400 litre tank...they allow a bit more!

Point is it gave me a long overdue reminder how much it costs our Gaffer to keep it all rolling. Still no pay rise but we all got a £50 Christmas card this year. What with the repairs/maintanace/tests on the trucks & skellys we own & the rental on those we don't he must be one hell of a juggler & i would'nt swap places with him. At least i can switch off when i park up/get home.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2012, 19:38:11 by Amigo MX5 »
Curry makes the world go round!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel prices.
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2012, 19:38:46 »

Where do you drop in Melton?

ZacVegas

• Southampton
  • Beer, nothing else matters
    • 2000 'X' Omega 2.5CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2012, 19:45:06 »

The company I drive for are cutting the speed down to 52 to save fuel, A few container haulage firms out of Southampton have run at 52 for years now.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2012, 20:04:47 »

The company I drive for are cutting the speed down to 52 to save fuel, A few container haulage firms out of Southampton have run at 52 for years now.

Hence the level of snail-racing heading up the A34, I guess. ;)

Still, fuel prices are bad enough running a car. You don't often give hauliers a second thought. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2012, 20:25:47 »

the co-op on all there truck have implemented a 55 mph top speed :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2012, 20:27:46 »

A good friend is doing great business at the moment fitting LPG to diesel trucks for Hardstaffs

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2012, 20:38:19 »

Where do you drop in Melton?
  Evening matey! Ashfordby storage on the A676 saxilby rd? If you come in off the A1/A607, through the pretty little villages & get to the first set of lights it's turn left, keep left then on the left. Quite a big place. We are usually empty back so back same way. If we have a reload south then we turn left out of thier yard on the A676? which takes you to A1 Colsterworth or the next takes you further down the A1 via Oakham. Nice neck of the woods.

Sorry if it's a bit vague but i know where i mean!!! :y
Curry makes the world go round!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2012, 20:47:00 »

AH yes, I know it, thats the old Asfordby Superpit site.

I currently work in the only Melton towerblock!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2012, 20:49:09 »

AH yes, scratch that, thier in Asfordby on Main Street  :y

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2012, 21:20:38 »

I don't know if it's an urban myth but it's said that every time diesel goes up 1p per litre the annual fuel bill of the Eddie Stobbart company increases by 100K if it is true it shows how sensitive to the profits of haulage companys are to the cost of fuel.
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2012, 22:36:24 »

wouldnt suprise me he as quite a few trucks,trains and planes  :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2012, 06:35:19 »

Try following a supermarket lorry.....there all set to 50mph...

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2012, 08:07:57 »

Although I'm not making light of the cost of fuel to haulage firms etc, they don't usually pay the forecourt listed price. My local coach firm uses a "trade" card and the diesel costs them £1 p/ltr, where as the garage we use list Diesel at £1.45 p/ltr.   ::)
AKA - Mr Bracket

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2012, 12:14:30 »

I've just bought a diesel vehicle and the vendor took me to a "garage" that was selling diesel only. It was doing a roaring trade. Turned out to be a coach depot. It was 10 cents a litre (maybe 6% cheaper than anywhere else.) The last time I paid for fuel in a garage that didn't have ANYTHING they were trying to get impulse purchased (sweets, papers, sandwiches etc) was when I was a youth. Pleasant change. I will use it again if I ever need to fill the tank again.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2012, 19:47:19 »

I've just bought a diesel vehicle and the vendor took me to a "garage" that was selling diesel only. It was doing a roaring trade. Turned out to be a coach depot. It was 10 cents a litre (maybe 6% cheaper than anywhere else.) The last time I paid for fuel in a garage that didn't have ANYTHING they were trying to get impulse purchased (sweets, papers, sandwiches etc) was when I was a youth. Pleasant change. I will use it again if I ever need to fill the tank again.

sounds interesting?
went to lidl yesterday in velez malaga, spent 32euro, on paying the till operator showed us a bit on the bottom of our reciept, spend over 30 euros and get 3 cents a litre off the price of diesel in the garage next door, so the tank is now full,lol
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.