Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 oil change help  (Read 1898 times)

V55ASH

• Sutton in Ashfield (notts)
    • View Profile
MV6 oil change help
« on: 12 December 2011, 18:05:23 »

Hi peeps, with it being winter I thought I'd treat the omega to an oil and filter change, bit of advice needed though as to which oil would be best (semi or fully synthetic?) and how much I'd need?

I've always had a mate of mine do my oil changes but he's away or always busy so thought I'd get my hands dirty for a change :y could someone point me in the right place for the drain hole location and any tools needed as its along time since I've done it myself, cheers peeps.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: MV6 oil change help
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2011, 18:12:03 »

A regular question and easliy one of the most debated on here if you want to search!

General concensus is to use GM semi syth, purchased from a dealer with the benefit of a Trade Club Card (search for this, think theres a link in the maint/FAQ area) available via Autobahnstormers website for an annual £20 or so fee.

Other oils (big names too) can and do cause excess emulsification in the V6 engine by all accounts.

Best bet is 3-4k mile changes with GM semi skimmed.

And clean out the engine breathers. - there is a guide for that too!   :y

noel

• Omega Knight
  • frome somerset
  • i feel the need for speed
    • 02 omega 2.6 v6 cdx auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2011, 18:30:01 »

you dont say which engine you have fitted but i can only speak from oil changes on my v6.
drain plug is located on base of sump,(usually a torque type plug) if you have an internal paper oil filter as opposed to a canister type one, then a socket drive handle will suffice.
as for oil gm 10/40 semi synthetic.   5.75 ltrs of oil.  hth  :y
« Last Edit: 12 December 2011, 18:34:25 by noel »
oh well that's another day done

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2011, 18:32:14 »

As title says its an MV6, guessing its a V6 - but thanks for the extra assist.  Was trying to get the OP to search for the info as a lot of time by many members has gone to creating a really comprehensive help/howtoo section for the Omega....   :)   :y

noel

• Omega Knight
  • frome somerset
  • i feel the need for speed
    • 02 omega 2.6 v6 cdx auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2011, 18:32:26 »

sorry didnt read heading its an mv6  :-[
oh well that's another day done

V55ASH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2011, 18:38:41 »

As title says its an MV6, guessing its a V6 - but thanks for the extra assist.  Was trying to get the OP to search for the info as a lot of time by many members has gone to creating a really comprehensive help/howtoo section for the Omega....   :)   :y

Yes it's the 2.6 mv6 and I tried using the search function which is pants when on the iPhone lol.

Just been reading up on it now from someone who wrote a how 2 but it was the actual oil used and quantity that I was most intrested in finding out. Thanks anyway.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2011, 18:56:43 »

GM Semi Synth, esp if you have access to Trade Club, as it works out about £45 for 4 x 5l cans. Filter about £5 on Trade Club.

Any Semi should do, but Castrol GTX and Magnatec are known to be problematic, so best avoided.
Grumpy old man

V55ASH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2011, 19:15:55 »

GM Semi Synth, esp if you have access to Trade Club, as it works out about £45 for 4 x 5l cans. Filter about £5 on Trade Club.

Any Semi should do, but Castrol GTX and Magnatec are known to be problematic, so best avoided.

Cheers mate, no trade club but there's a Vauxhall dealers about 2 miles from me, I'll ask them how much for 2x5l gm stuff.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2011, 19:55:44 »

Cheers mate, no trade club but there's a Vauxhall dealers about 2 miles from me, I'll ask them how much for 2x5l gm stuff.
Ooooh, without TC, rather expensive.  Not sure if any local members could get you stuff at TC prices
Grumpy old man

V55ASH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2011, 20:00:08 »

Ooooh, without TC, rather expensive.  Not sure if any local members could get you stuff at TC prices

How expensive is expensive lol?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2011, 20:03:12 »

How expensive is expensive lol?
Bet around £30 for each 5l of oil.

If you can team up with another member and get the Trade Club 4 for 3 offer, its about £45 for 4 x 5l cans, and maybe go halves, if you understand what I mean :)
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2011, 20:45:56 »

Retail is £31+VAT for 5L, trade club is £12.75+VAT for 5l, usually buy 3 get one free as TB says - for the semi syn. Fully syn is only slightly more.

V55ASH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2011, 20:54:07 »

Retail is £31+VAT for 5L, trade club is £12.75+VAT for 5l, usually buy 3 get one free as TB says - for the semi syn. Fully syn is only slightly more.

That's madness, nearly £20 different!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2011, 20:56:25 »

That's madness, nearly £20 different!
Yup, Trade Club defo worthwhile ;)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2011, 21:10:17 »

Trade club linky below  :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.