Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m.o.t ?  (Read 1075 times)

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • Go faster Black MV6 Man
    • View Profile
m.o.t ?
« on: 26 November 2011, 00:03:12 »

Hi guys,can anyone tell me are there any legal requirements,regarding allowing your mot to expire,but leaving the car parked in off road private car park. It is fully insured to next Aug and taxed until April,i.e will I receive any fines in the post  >:(well your might just say mot it.Well between the tyres,wishbones,new mv6 front spring and shocks,exhaust and all the other bits and pieces thats gonna costs lots of ££  :o.Just like to know am i breaking any rules.  ;D
Cheers John..

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: m.o.t ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2011, 00:06:03 »

As long as it's on priivate property, then there is no requiement for MOT....

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2011, 00:08:18 »

dont know the legal bits but if it isnt on public road i would have thought it would be ok, nagging feeling though if there is other cars in the private carpark what would happen if yours rolled into another one or someone hit yours ?? without an mot your insurance would be invalid ???

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • Go faster Black MV6 Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2011, 00:35:45 »

Good point mate,but theres a young guy next door whos into jap motors,right beside the mig he got an old susuki swift gti H reg parked,never moves,then my van is parked in such a way,it should get hit first :D :D..

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2011, 00:40:33 »

Yes, I would agree provided its not on a public road, MOT/TAX/Insurance rules don't apply, however if you are on private land it can get messy.
ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2011, 13:58:12 »

Cars parked on private land with no MOT should be no problem, cars parked on private land with no insurance or no tax have to SORN.
I think if you SORN a vehicle with no Insurance you now have to hand the tax disc back.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2011, 14:28:47 »

Yes, I would agree provided its not on a public road, MOT/TAX/Insurance rules don't apply, however if you are on private land it can get messy.
ken

I would check the first part of your post there Ken, as far as I read it any vehicle needs to be taxed, insured and have a current MOT certificate to be used or kept on public roads.  If a vehicle is not used on public roads but is used or kept on private lands/property then it must be taxed and insured unless, as 32E rightly says, a SORN has been made in respect of it.

In the case of a vehicle having a period of tax and insurance still in force but no MOT and is kept off the public road, it may be argued that, in fact, it may have no insurance as I would imagine that any insurance company would invalidate cover in the absence of a valid MOT being in force for the vehicle.

I would think it would be wise to check with the insurers concerned as it seems to me that in Tooleaters case - irrespective of the current tax and insurance - a SORN will be needed. 

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2011, 10:15:06 »

Your not breaking any rules if its off road...as said only if its taxed but not insured...how long before you are planning to do the work though...why pay for tax and potentially invalid insurance if you are not panning to fix it for 3 or 4 months?? Put them all back in force when its sorted??
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.