Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Tyre Choice  (Read 3607 times)

aaronjb

Re: Winter Tyre Choice
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2011, 14:13:34 »

If you choose an Estate ('caravan') you don't get the option of the lower load rating Contis, and the Contis with a higher load rating are (much) more expensive..

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2011, 14:20:52 »

Load rating of 91 is nearly 2.5 tonnes, that's plenty for me.

And apart from that the tyre and size is exactly the same!

£300 more so you can carry 2760kg in stead of 2460kg, jeebus!  :D

The Conti tyres are rated #1 too in the winter tyre test.
Budget tyres, false economy.

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2011, 14:26:16 »

Ok, well.. other people are free to buy those ;)

I just picked my car from the drop down - I didn't go hunting through other models of Omega  :y

Given everything is in German, I suspect it's built off the 'allowable' tyres if you lived in Germany (i.e. if you fitted 91 load rating tyres to an estate, that would be illegal as not TÜV approved).. anyway like I say, I just picked my car in the list.

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2011, 14:27:44 »

Mind you .. it's been a fortnight and they haven't shipped yet like I say, so I might not end up with them at all at this rate ..  :D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2011, 14:36:56 »

You spent ~£200 on 15" steelies?

Would be better off getting some old rims from here and some better rubber IMO.

The tyres I bought work out at just over £240 inc VAT, delivered (from the same place), plus another ~£50 for fitting at my local tyre plate makes them £300 near as damnit.. so I spent £100 on a new set of steel wheels..

If you mean another set of alloys, then you're talking more money on the tyres as they won't be that narrow or 15's.. In standard Elite sizes (no idea what other size alloys came on the Omega) you're talking more like £150 per tyre for a branded make.

Marangoni get good reviews btw (both their summer and winter tyres)..

£25 a corner aint bad....  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2011, 14:41:19 »

£25 a corner aint bad....  :)

Only if they turn up..  ;D

I guess I need to call them and chase it up - I'm expecting to be told they're all out of stock when I do, mind, the mytyres website doesn't seem to have any 'fancy' features like stock levels :(

I do rather wish I'd noticed I had more choice if I selected the non-estate car, though.. (damnit Shimmy.. ;) ;D)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2011, 17:38:44 »

Now I know we have had numerous posts on this subject but really just wanted to get my head around the size implications. ;D :y

Standard Elite M/F is fitted with 225/55/16  and the spare is 205/65/15 as per book :y

If buying winter tyres 225/55/16 are noticeably more expensive than 205/65/15 but others options are 205/55/16 and 215/55/16.

Given the fact they will probably be used between mid november and mid march and cover around 10k after which they will be regarded as well worn and have little value what is regarded as the best option for cost/comfort/safety. ;D

Go with a narrower tyre or stay with the standard 225.....very confussing subjet this especially as costs can be very noticeable for 4 tyres.
Remember, changing width but not profile will bugger up your speedo reading.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 October 2011, 18:32:46 »

Kwikfit had boards out today promoting 25% off all tyres, including winter tyres.....

Seems to me though that winter tyres are starting to be seen as a necessity and I know that we've had couple of hard winters, but are they?  :-\ or is it just a good wheeze by the tyre companys to boost profits!!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 October 2011, 18:36:18 »

My MV6 only got (almost) stuck once last year, and was 100% driver stupidity (aka arsing).  Those that know Brackley will understand turning into the roads that run parallel to the high street in 12" of snow will never work. But was immense fun ::)
Grumpy old man

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 October 2011, 18:39:50 »

Kwikfit had boards out today promoting 25% off all tyres, including winter tyres.....

Seems to me though that winter tyres are starting to be seen as a necessity and I know that we've had couple of hard winters, but are they?  :-\ or is it just a good wheeze by the tyre companys to boost profits!!  ::)

Necessity?  Probably not, but does depend on where you live and your uses.

Worthwhile?  IMO, yes.

I posted this earlier, but here it is again if anyone missed it.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259435/winter_tyre_test.html

It compares all the premium winter tyres, some cheaper ones and a premium summer tyre for comparison.  Not just in snow, but in the wet, dry, subjective feel etc...

The summer tyre came bottom by some margin, the winter tyres outperform the summer ones in the wet during the winter months not just the snow.
Budget tyres, false economy.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 31 October 2011, 18:49:53 »

best snow tires are conti 830, good year ug 7+

kumho kw19 is also a very good tire.. I have used all of them and can recommend..

however as I said before if you will try them on a high-long incline with ice , you will need studs..

205 profile , even 195 is enough.. snow doesnt care for sexy profiles ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 October 2011, 18:53:56 »

What worrys me about winter tyres, is that there will be numpties out there who won't adjust their driving style in bad weather, because they think they'll be OK with their winter tyres.....  :-\ 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 October 2011, 19:19:56 »

What worrys me about winter tyres, is that there will be numpties out there who won't adjust their driving style in bad weather, because they think they'll be OK with their winter tyres.....  :-\

Agree, but you also get plenty of numpties who have no idea on how to drive in snow or icy conditions on any tyre.  :( IMHO they should stay at home. (I would say or catch a bus or train, but on the first flake of snow they won't be running  ::) )
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

smithpa7

« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2011, 07:29:26 »

I have just had Kuhmo KW27 225/55 16 fitted to the BMW. Hometyres fitted and balanced all 4 for £495. A couple of friends swear by them.
One thing to remember, if you are changing tyre sizes inform your insurance company :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 November 2011, 08:06:11 »

Understand about insurance company implications  :y ,but if the owners manual states either..225/55/16 or 205/55/16 as being standard fitting why would it still not be an original specification car  ;D....also would that make any difference to speed registered and by what ?? :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.