Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Tyre Choice  (Read 3854 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Winter Tyre Choice
« on: 31 October 2011, 08:33:59 »

Now I know we have had numerous posts on this subject but really just wanted to get my head around the size implications. ;D :y

Standard Elite M/F is fitted with 225/55/16  and the spare is 205/65/15 as per book :y

If buying winter tyres 225/55/16 are noticeably more expensive than 205/65/15 but others options are 205/55/16 and 215/55/16.

Given the fact they will probably be used between mid november and mid march and cover around 10k after which they will be regarded as well worn and have little value what is regarded as the best option for cost/comfort/safety. ;D

Go with a narrower tyre or stay with the standard 225.....very confussing subjet this especially as costs can be very noticeable for 4 tyres.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Tyre Choice
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2011, 09:36:00 »

If your going for 4 tyres and using 16 inch wheels, i'd go for the 205/55/16's  :y

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2011, 11:46:36 »

I was in the same position as you and I went for 205 55 16.

Will be fitting mine next week I think.
Budget tyres, false economy.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2011, 12:04:17 »

Car currently has 17 Irmscher wheels fitted but also have the original 16 Softstar alloys in storage. :y

Both front tyres are due replacing and backs are only few months behind  :-[so my plan is to buy 4 Winter tyres and fit them to the 16,s and run them until next spring when will buy new 17,s and fit the Irmschers back on.Put the 16,s back in storage with part worn winter tyres for hopefully next year. :y :y :y

Just unsure what is best/most cost effective etc etc 16 inch winter tyre to invest in ;D also what would be considered the best size choice  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2011, 12:06:03 »

if you drop it down a size to 15's winter tyres are dirt cheap, thats my plan, 4x steelies with winter tyres stacked up for when weather gets bad (funds allowing!)

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2011, 12:12:05 »

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2011, 12:15:41 »

if you drop it down a size to 15's winter tyres are dirt cheap, thats my plan, 4x steelies with winter tyres stacked up for when weather gets bad (funds allowing!)

I did just that - ordered a set of four on four steel wheels from mytyres.co.uk..

'course I'm still waiting for them, two weeks on. They'll probably arrive in March..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2011, 12:16:36 »

I did just that - ordered a set of four on four steel wheels from mytyres.co.uk..

'course I'm still waiting for them, two weeks on. They'll probably arrive in March..

Out of interest, how much?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2011, 12:43:45 »

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2011, 13:12:18 »

These new Dunlop's are very good for the money:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m96b0s629p73551/DUNLOP_TYRES_WINTER_SNOW_CAR_DUNLOP_SP_WINTERSPORT_4D_DUNLOP_SP_WINTER_SPORT_4D_-_205_55R16_91H_TL_

Here's a winter tyre test reviewing them, also compares against some Summer CS2's.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259435/winter_tyre_test.html

4 of them is more then my car is worth  :D ;D ;D

Same price if not cheaper than my Summer tyres.

I also value my safety higher than to rely on cheap rubber.

I realise your comment was tongue in cheek though.  ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2011, 13:23:35 »

£431 in total inc. delivery & VAT - I went for Marangoni Meteo (far from the most expensive, but also not a cheap no name) 195/65R15

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2011, 13:39:23 »

£431 in total inc. delivery & VAT - I went for Marangoni Meteo (far from the most expensive, but also not a cheap no name) 195/65R15

You spent ~£200 on 15" steelies?

Would be better off getting some old rims from here and some better rubber IMO.

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2011, 13:46:12 »

The tyres I bought work out at just over £240 inc VAT, delivered (from the same place), plus another ~£50 for fitting at my local tyre plate makes them £300 near as damnit.. so I spent £100 on a new set of steel wheels..

If you mean another set of alloys, then you're talking more money on the tyres as they won't be that narrow or 15's.. In standard Elite sizes (no idea what other size alloys came on the Omega) you're talking more like £150 per tyre for a branded make.

Marangoni get good reviews btw (both their summer and winter tyres)..

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2011, 13:47:10 »

So from the information and advise of others  :y :y :y the best sizes would seem to be either  :)...205/55/16  or 195/65/15.? :y

Will no do some price comparisons and see how good a deal I can get  ;D

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2011, 13:57:05 »

The tyres I bought work out at just over £240 inc VAT, delivered (from the same place), plus another ~£50 for fitting at my local tyre plate makes them £300 near as damnit.. so I spent £100 on a new set of steel wheels..

If you mean another set of alloys, then you're talking more money on the tyres as they won't be that narrow or 15's.. In standard Elite sizes (no idea what other size alloys came on the Omega) you're talking more like £150 per tyre for a branded make.

Marangoni get good reviews btw (both their summer and winter tyres)..

Can't say I've ever heard about Marangoni, but as you say with the wheels you paid £430 inc?  And tyres alone they are £240.

These seem like a better deal including steelies from the same site:

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.