Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stubby car phone aerial replacement  (Read 1451 times)

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
Stubby car phone aerial replacement
« on: 01 September 2010, 17:48:29 »

HI

I am replacing the aerial in the roof with a dab one, does anybody know the size of the hole so I ensure I get the right bolt size to go through. Also has anybody else fitted a dab aerial, I have been looking at the JVC HAL 3, Hirshmann and Kinetic antennas all have different through body hole sizes.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Stubby car phone aerial replacement
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2010, 20:52:52 »

I could be wrong, but the general consensus on the forum is that DAB is a complete waste of time (It is my opinion also).  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2010, 22:39:08 »

Doesn`t really matter, as the Omega aerial hole is larger than 99% of the DAB ones anyway.

Pioneer Aerial was always my preferred choice, just make sure its compatable with your DAB receiver.

Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2010, 00:20:57 »

All the UK's national radio stations and many local services will stop broadcasting on analogue by the end of 2015, according to ambitious switch-off targets unveiled by the government today.

I didn't bother reading the whole article, it's from the Guardian so too many big words...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/16/digital-britain-analogue-radio-switchoff

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2010, 00:39:14 »

All the UK's national radio stations and many local services will stop broadcasting on analogue by the end of 2015, according to ambitious switch-off targets unveiled by the government today.

I didn't bother reading the whole article, it's from the Guardian so too many big words...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/16/digital-britain-analogue-radio-switchoff

I'll have a friendly tenner that it doesn't happen by 2020?  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2010, 08:53:06 »

Interesting that after the powers that be mentioned a new format of DAB+ or DAB2 that would be launched within the next few years, virtually all of the in-car manufacturers pulled out of DAB supply and the price crashed in the shops for the home receivers as everybody desperately tries to get rid of their stocks.

Reason? The new format is NOT going to be backwards compatable with existing DAB and you will be expected to buy new equipment yet again.

Its because of these rumours that most retailers have now dropped any support for DAB as the backlash from the customers is not worth it.

>:(
www.dndservices.co.uk

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2010, 09:27:12 »

Interesting that after the powers that be mentioned a new format of DAB+ or DAB2 that would be launched within the next few years, virtually all of the in-car manufacturers pulled out of DAB supply and the price crashed in the shops for the home receivers as everybody desperately tries to get rid of their stocks.

Reason? The new format is NOT going to be backwards compatable with existing DAB and you will be expected to buy new equipment yet again.
Its because of these rumours that most retailers have now dropped any support for DAB as the backlash from the customers is not worth it.

Rip-off Britain is still alive and kicking............recently bought a DAB converter for the miggy........this obviously means I have wasted my hard-earned money AGAIN on something that will cease to work sometime soon............... >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 02 September 2010, 09:27:46 by Sixstring »
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2010, 10:02:21 »

Rip-off Britain is still alive and kicking............recently bought a DAB converter for the miggy........this obviously means I have wasted my hard-earned money AGAIN on something that will cease to work sometime soon............... >:( >:( >:(

More the case that DAB has been pushed by the political classes who didn't listen to the engineering classes when they said it was a white elephant. "Oh, but it's digital" and this is "digital britain" after all.

DAB as a standard probably wasn't a bad effort in the 1980's when it was conceived but by today's terms it's like listening to a radio wireless with valves glowing away in the back.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2010, 10:21:56 »

Not necessarily . . . .

With the political coffers at an all time low, maybe, just maybe, your DAB unit will have worn out by the time the new system comes to fruition . . .

Surely there must be more important things on the monitary agenda, and this announcement was made BEFORE the country hit finiancial meltdown.

But whilst waiting, at least you can listen to your DAB

;D
www.dndservices.co.uk

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2010, 10:31:34 »

True...........

PLANET ROCK rules!!!
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2010, 13:29:15 »

The reason for putting in DAB is so I can listen to Planet Rock, got a cheapo add on for £26.00, aerial is costing more than the unit. I have recentlly replaced the head unit with a Blaupunkt so input is going to be by the rear aux in, with the controller hidden away.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2010, 11:34:22 »

It's not too bad to get to the back of the antenna hole, Just unclip the panel that runs across the back of the roof headlining and ease it out from between the two panels that cover the side pillars.

Wire to the antenna runs down the driver's side sill and up the rear side pillar just by the rear seat belt spool on that side. You can use the old wire to pull a new wire through from the antenna down the pillar.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.