Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaking Current  (Read 1165 times)

Ryan Hegarty

• Kesh, County Fermanagh, N.I.
    • View Profile
Leaking Current
« on: 16 July 2010, 00:01:20 »

Hi all, I have a very annoying problem with the 3.2 Omega in that the battery is totally flat after a few days and as I mainly use the car at the weekend this is a regular occurance - I have checked to see if any current is being drawn when the doors are locked and have found that fuse 7 (Courtesy Lamp) is drawing about 0.25 Amps also under the bonnet fuse 1 above the battery is drawing about 1 Amp; anyone have any ideas on this one or have found a similar problem to this before?
Thanks in advance.  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: Leaking Current
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2010, 09:00:01 »

Some have posted on here that the boot light does not always go out, but my favourite would be to unplug the alarm powersounder under the scuttle and see what that does to your current readings.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2010, 09:49:17 »

The accessory delay relay has also been known to fail. Wouldn't be drawing an amp unless something's connected to the lighter socket, though.

It's mounted up under the dash on the driver's side IIRC. Tell tale sign is often that the lighting on the electric window switches doesn't go out after a delay.

I agree that the power sounder needs eliminating too. :y

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

martch310

• lancashire
    • omega cdx estate 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2010, 16:08:19 »

had the same problem on my cdx estate fault could not be found after two visits to auto electricians, so i fitted a product called the battery brain and no problems ever since.
         www.batterybrain.co.uk
hope this helps
    martyn   :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2010, 16:44:17 »

had the same problem on my cdx estate fault could not be found after two visits to auto electricians, so i fitted a product called the battery brain and no problems ever since.
         www.batterybrain.co.uk
hope this helps
    martyn   :y

Unfortunately, that's masking the symptom not fixing the problem, and if the car has a serviceable alarm it will sound as soon as the battery is disconnected.

It is worth the effort of diagnosing these problems as they can (in the case of a faulty power sounder, for example) get a lot worse, resulting in a fire if not rectified.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ryan Hegarty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2010, 01:39:44 »

Thanks guys, I have already disconnected the  powersounder and have remained in the car after I took out the key and locked the doors - all the lights go out (including the boot) and all else seems to be off, when I check fuse 7 in this scenario it is consuming about 0.25 amps and also I can here the green relay behind the fuse box clicking when I reinsert the fuse - according to the handbook fuse 7 is for the courtesy lights, I note that as these dim down and go out the current drops to this amperage.
What is connected to fuse 1 under the bonnet above the battery as this is drawing about 1 Amp, I have checked the rest of the circuits in the fuse boxes and they are drawing very little if any current milliamps at most.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2010, 11:00:49 »

I will have to have a look at the wiring diagrams. That relay behind the fuse box does sound like the accessory relay to me...

Kevin

Ryan Hegarty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2010, 23:49:32 »

Thanks Kevin.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.