Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: engine oil extractors  (Read 1016 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
engine oil extractors
« on: 15 August 2011, 22:10:26 »

Has anybody any experiences of using one of these for the removal and replacement  of the gearbox or diff oil.

Seems to be a usefull tool saving the added costs in labour and materials.

Just curious on their merits.

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
Re: engine oil extractors
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2011, 22:18:14 »

I am afraid not used one on the car but have one for the boat, small tube goes down the dipstick tube connect to a the battery and outlet into an old oil can and turn it on, works well 7 llitres in about 4 mins or so, can't remember where I got it from, ebay a good few years back.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2011, 22:21:25 »

They seem to be a usefull bit of kit with the gearbox especially as saves all that messing about with oil going everywhere and  renewing gaskets.

Agree they don,t clean the filter but new oil would be a simple job.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2011, 22:44:58 »

Sounds a goiod idea but I can't see how you would get the tube into the sump(s) to extract the crud.

They are a better idea for cars where the engine sump plug is tatered.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2011, 22:53:25 »

Although I have not used it for draining engine oil (prefer to use the sump plug) I have used a Pela vacuum pump to sucessfuly drain oil from my rear axle and autobox plus the radiator on my wife's Vectra.  I bought it from machine Mart several years ago and it has been extremely useful for many other jobs such as draining my central heating header tank for cleaning and emptying a blocked external drain trap on the bathroom etc.  Highly recommended piece of kit.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2011, 22:54:02 »

I have been using one for the last few changes, I think they are brilliant. Regarding the crud in the sump, it doesnt come out with the plug removed either, the only sure way is to drop the sump. I checked mine the first time I used it, by removing the plug afterwards, all I got out was a few drips. :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2011, 22:59:13 »

Sounds good. :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2011, 23:02:47 »

I have been using one for the last few changes, I think they are brilliant. Regarding the crud in the sump, it doesnt come out with the plug removed either, the only sure way is to drop the sump. I checked mine the first time I used it, by removing the plug afterwards, all I got out was a few drips. :y

I have to use one to do oil changes on SWMBO's car. You don't have the option of using a sump plug cos there isn't one. I'd to remove the sump pan for a job so could see how much oil was left after using the Pela, there was very very little left in it, maybe  tablespoon full.  :y :y
« Last Edit: 15 August 2011, 23:09:58 by Andy_B »

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2011, 23:30:11 »

I have a Pela 6000,(6Ltr capacity)Don't use it for the engine but its great for the autobox,I can get 4Ltr out I then use a B@Q garden pressure pump to fill up,very easy with no mess, my intention is to do this every time I change the engine oil untill I've refreshed the whole autobox+ TC (capacity about 8 Ltr) I've already done it twice since sump removal and a filter change, hopefully I'll know how far to go by the colour of the T/Fluid.I'm about to use it to change the diff oil.Might seem a little over the top but I hate mechanical noise and being retired do a fair bit of caravan touring.I got my Pela from Machine Mart,as have some other members.    

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2011, 00:39:40 »

:-/ I can see it being useful to stop some of the mess on auto box changes, but still need to drop the sumps to clean them out. Clean or replace the auto box filter, and clean the silt off the magnet. Also if there's any bits of thrust washer or nastyness in there...?  ;D ok maybe it's best not to see it, head in sand style  ;D

As for engine sump, non the slury in the sump will be washed out by the draining oil. Nah, not for me. Ok if your sump plug is fubar yes, better then nout. But otherwise, no, do the job properly IMO.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2011, 07:52:07 »

You can make a "sump plug" to the diff by removing the lowest bolt from diff rear casing and drill a 5-6mm hole to the bottom of the bolt hole. All the oil will come out, pour in new and when new fresh oil runs from the newly drilled hole put the bolt back.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.