Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: correct lowering spring for my model?  (Read 1250 times)

mr carl

• View Profile
correct lowering spring for my model?
« on: 03 June 2011, 12:33:56 »

searching ebay and found a set of 40mm lowering springs, i just want conformation as to wether these will fit my x plate 2.5 saloon?

i tried to contact the seller but it said something about them being to busy and would not let me "ask the seller a question"

thanks for helping

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-6cyl-94-GMAX-LOWERING-SPRINGS-40MM-/300547566027?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D381921944694910690

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: correct lowering spring for my model?
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2011, 14:51:10 »

I think the seller's attitude says it all, and one to avoid.

40mm is probably too much, and remember, the shock plays an important part as well
Grumpy old man

SJKOO01

« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2011, 14:53:46 »

Think you may have already answered your own question.

If they can't be bothered to help or let you ask a question, perhaps that's telling you should shop elsewhere.  ::)

If this is the service they are giving before you buy the item, what sort of level of after sales service would you might get if you had to make a complaint or it was the wrong item!  :-?

Damn it TB......., I must type faster !!!!!!!!!!  ;D

You can get away with using standard shocks down to -30mm, anymore than that you're better off getting shocks made with less than standard ride height in mind.

As for what springs and shocks, it's a personal choice!  :y
« Last Edit: 03 June 2011, 14:56:56 by SJKOO01 »

mr carl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2011, 16:55:41 »

I'm not changing the shocks till late July.

It was a ebay pop up that said something about the high demand of questions means I can not ask the seller a question.

Think I may have to find a different seller :(

mr carl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2011, 19:00:46 »

how about right from the gmax website..
they only list two types of spring, one for the 4 cylinder and one set for the 6 cylinder, are all 6 cylinder springs the same?

http://www.gmaxsuspension.co.uk/gmax-vauxhall-omega-saloon-6-cylinder--51994-spring-kit-lowers-by-40mm-30-va-41_p1250435.htm

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2011, 00:27:30 »

never heard of gmax to be fair i would go for eibach for piece of mind, don't get pissed around by ebay sellers i've been there and it aint friendly!
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

mr carl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2011, 05:10:35 »

Lol how have you never heard of gmax?

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2011, 09:49:23 »

I'd  Like to see the end coils of the rear springs before deciding on any spring set. They need to be progressively wound rather than constant diameter IMO.

40 mill is too much with anything other than an empty car, and then the rear can become choppy. Also consider the boot space being massive and extra load lowering further still the potential to get caught out without some sort of level control is increased.

Further Still, there are those on here in the know that suggest lowering beyond the designed standard ride hight is detrimental to handling, so lowering beyond 15mill from stock to match lowered sports chassis on the mv6 is not recommended by them.
   Shocks need to be able to account for the drop in ride hight or they'll bottom out. See how well it handles then.

Plus, on a personal level, I don't like the rear wheels to disappear up into wheel arch on overly lowered cars. Reminds me of certain citroens of old. Yuk.

mr carl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2011, 10:10:20 »

I am sure it will be fine, other cars manage okay and I have seen a few proper low omegas

If I had found 60mm springs I would be fitting them instead.

I only drive 35 miles a week mainly with just me in the car. Anyway with lowered suspension comes a stiffer suspension so it should not bottom out at all at 40mm with 225/45/16

I think that will be the size tyre I go for. But it totally depends on how it looks.

The car is a nice cruiser and I don't need the sportiness to drive like a mainiac, I am purely going for looks..... a euro look if you will :)

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2011, 10:14:42 »

Looks at the expense of all else is idiotic frankly, but it's your car mate, if you want the "failed citroen suspension" look fire away.  ;D

mr carl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2011, 10:33:41 »

I'm going to fire away, don't worry about that. I don't know why anyone would not want it low...it drives like a boat and looks like a tractor the standard springs are that high.

:P

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2011, 10:49:31 »

So why ask? In answer to your title question, there are no "correct" lowering springs for you'd model beyond lowered sports chassis. Anything else is "wrong"!   ;)

mr carl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2011, 11:06:38 »

What?

I wanted to know if these will fit the car, I don't understand what you are on about, Ford fiesta springs would be "wrong" omega estate I am guessing would be wrong...?

My question was if I buy these springs then would they fit...the reason I ask is because this is a omega forum and the parts I am looking to fit are for a omega, however my confusion is more between the facelifts for example would springs from a 1994 omega fit my 2000 plate.

So if they do fit, how would anything other than sports chassis be wrong?

mr carl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2011, 11:17:32 »

This is how I am trying to get it to look, I have measured the gap on the wheel arch and a 40mm drop should bring the arch just above the tyre on the front and slightly higher still on the rear.

And mildly tinted windows. I am finding it hard deciding if I should change the wheels or not, I really like the std wheels and can't find a set I feel suits the car...so I will probably buy some slightly smaller profile tyres for it....however i am a little worried that they won't fill the arches very well after shelling out on new rubber :(

« Last Edit: 04 June 2011, 11:19:23 by mrcarlxx »

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2011, 13:59:32 »

What?

I wanted to know if these will fit the car, I don't understand what you are on about, Ford fiesta springs would be "wrong" omega estate I am guessing would be wrong...?

My question was if I buy these springs then would they fit...the reason I ask is because this is a omega forum and the parts I am looking to fit are for a omega, however my confusion is more between the facelifts for example would springs from a 1994 omega fit my 2000 plate.

So if they do fit, how would anything other than sports chassis be wrong?
Any omega spring will physically fit on the car provided they are for saloon or estate. Vx never designed the car to work with anything lower than standard less 15mill with lsc. So therefor anything else is wrong. Lower than that your altering contact patch distribution(usually accounted for by increased camber), suspension arm ride hight which on the front can give odd results as the roll centre will be different to the designed pivot points. The geometry will be altered beyond that of full geo set up.
  Now that's a rather fussy view granted, but you'll get away with it down to 30mill. More than that and your looking at lateral forces affecting pivot points and potential adverse affect on suspension movement as a result.

Now, if all your going to do is look at the car, why bother with suspension at all? Just bolt a threaded adjuster in place of the struts and adjust it to suit. If your actually going to drive it then the only point in lowering is for performance, and you'll need to drive it to a level that exceeds the current set up, hence the improvements.

However your posts suggest otherwise and that your driving it just for looks with no intention or concern over reaching a level of performance. At which point I'm going to have to apologize in advance for my opinion, that that's the most idiotic wanky approach I have ever heard. Sorry. I fully expect your lowering project to take priority over cam belt life, oil and water levels and the motor to seize solid fairly soon. But that's ok "koz" at least it looks cool init! It's a poverty spec CD FFS.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.