Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.5td chip....no help required! lol  (Read 5432 times)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2.5td chip....no help required! lol
« Reply #45 on: 12 March 2011, 08:01:53 »

hMM,
I think Mark could be on to something here!! reason being im fairly suire the dmf on me new motor is fubar!!! its definetly out of balance and a couple of times ive had it chatter on me, obviously i wont know for certain till i strip it and change it ,
but that could explain why mine is so heavyily felt throughout the car!!! shame is got a 1600 mile drive tomorrow just hope i dont get cvaught in to much traffic!!! :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12 March 2011, 11:19:35 »

hMM,
I think Mark could be on to something here!! reason being im fairly suire the dmf on me new motor is fubar!!! its definetly out of balance and a couple of times ive had it chatter on me, obviously i wont know for certain till i strip it and change it ,
but that could explain why mine is so heavyily felt throughout the car!!! shame is got a 1600 mile drive tomorrow just hope i dont get cvaught in to much traffic!!! :'(
workaround is to drop a peg ;)
Grumpy old man

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 12 March 2011, 12:42:58 »

hMM,

Nothing better to do that sought of trip in :y

Did you get those other niggles sorted?  hope you have a safe journey ;)

Mick

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 12 March 2011, 13:26:33 »

hMM,

Nothing better to do that sought of trip in :y

Did you get those other niggles sorted?  hope you have a safe journey ;)

Mick
yep all done Mick thanks, wheel bearing was a idiot to do, not so much the job but trying to press the old one out was a bit of a herculean effort! over 3000 psi before it shifted the hub, straange noise at front is definetly not aircon compressor, i have a feeling its realted to the dmf, fully serviced, all the wy through now, all fluids and filters changed including brake fluid, new wipers and a host of other bits and peices ddone!!! will post up how the journey whent when i get there!!

o-meg-a

• south wales
  • avatar disabled meantime as its mahoosive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 15 March 2011, 23:50:27 »

Seems i'm switching to the +5 chip ASAP!

Here's a summary why:
Before chip i did a 70mph 300mile run on m4 to london and back, and got 42mpg....AND, no smoke.

WITH chip (+10), i get SMOKE with very little throttle at all and on a 120mile run at GRANNY pace, literally driving as economically as i know how to (i've done well in the past with chipped diesels and MPG) at 55-60mph very smooth little stop start, i only achieved 37mpg....

Literally could not have driven any more economically.

So i figure the overfuelling (black smoke) is excessive, and as such is causing inefficiency in general fueling at normal speeds (but still gives good power up top of course)

Going to see if the +5 will lessen the smoke and hopefully pull the mpg back up.

I was expecting to see an increase in MPG tbh. And i know it is reliant on driving to the new style of the chip and using the extra torque to change earlier etc, but believe me i was trying, HARD! lol

so will keep you informed, if you care at all lol ::)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 16 March 2011, 07:39:51 »

Got here safely!!! 007 chip fitted and it averaged 43.4 to the gallon!! however i only need to take it to 2.5krpm through every gear it pulls beautifully through the gears,
owing to the new speed limits of 110k here, i set the cruise at 113 when i got to a boring motorway, which was 76mph or thereabouts,got here in ther same time as i normally do although i must confess, didnt stop for as long or as often?
perhaps owing to the lower speeds requiring less mental concentration?,
all in all chuffed with it!! :y

o-meg-a

• south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 16 March 2011, 13:03:32 »

Got here safely!!! 007 chip fitted and it averaged 43.4 to the gallon!! however i only need to take it to 2.5krpm through every gear it pulls beautifully through the gears,
owing to the new speed limits of 110k here, i set the cruise at 113 when i got to a boring motorway, which was 76mph or thereabouts,got here in ther same time as i normally do although i must confess, didnt stop for as long or as often?
perhaps owing to the lower speeds requiring less mental concentration?,
all in all chuffed with it!! :y

Exactly, 43.4mpg at 76mph wth cruise on and your changing gear 2500!!

And. I'm 37mpg at 60mph without cruise, and changing gear at 2000!

Something is not right.
You're not taking that reading from the MID are you? Lol.

I've not been offered 007 chip from chip guy, so will have to make do with the "+5" and hope I see the right results

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16 March 2011, 18:58:22 »

Hmm, possibly but i completed a full service everything i.e oil and filter, air filter, new wheel bearing, topped up the diff and gearbox, full stripdown check free off rebuild brakes, tyre pressures set exactly,tweaked turbo wastegate a little ::)etc etc,so with everything frsh and free it may have made the difference?
and cannot remember but i think 007 chip is actually a plus 5 its around 10 horses down on the full fat chip, thoroughly recommend it, :y

o-meg-a

• south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16 March 2011, 20:25:24 »

Yeah,
Well most of the things on that list have been done on mine recently too..
Tyres are defo set right, had oil and filter change 1000 miles ago.
Not sure bout gearbox oil, will check.
Brakes are free and not sticking at all.

If u don't mind me asking, what adjustment have you made to the wastegate? Did you tighten it to increase boost? This would help burn off extra fuel and hence produce better power.

I think the 007 chip is the +5 too. Spoke to chip guy about it today.
Ideally I'm looking to maintain reasonable mpg. So we'll see how things go with the new chip.
Otherwise it back to no chip and driving everywhere at 56mph in the hope of achieving the 50mpg book figure lol! ::) ::)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 March 2011, 20:35:48 »

yeah tweaked it a little in an effort to reduce the 1500rpm shudder helps a little as the boost comes in earlier, going to wrap the boost hoses next to stop them expanding so it comes in even earlier,
however do not just wind it in a few turns!!! max  and i mean max half a turn and try it if you dont have a tech1 or tech 2 to see the boost!! all to easy to overboost it and cause BIG problems!! takes time to get it exactly how you want it this way but much safer!! my other one is tweaked the same way and is full fat chip makes no smoke now,
 but drove very slowly onto a extremely steep (car grounds out at the start of it so slowly does it onto drive)driveway today left twin black streaks for 7 paces(mate is 6ft 4 so his paces may be a little larger than most,lol :y

p.s dont forget you will get extra boost only until the wastegate catches up!!
« Last Edit: 16 March 2011, 20:36:53 by Omegatoy »

o-meg-a

• south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16 March 2011, 21:16:09 »

Hmm, thats interesting about tweaking the wastegate to increase pressure.
Its actually something i am quite familiar with.

I tightened the wastegate on my tuned rover TD, bringing boost from 16psi, up to 19psi. This was the recommended maximum for that car.

Do you know what sort of Mpg you get from your other full fat omega? As i would like to keep the full fat chip if i can, as i like the power, but ideally i would still be able to get the mpg i want under economical driving conditions.

I have a boost gauge and the feed hose from my old car still, could i fit this is an easy way to measure the effect of the wastegate adjustment?

And when you say about the black streaks, are you saying that it was smoking?
and when you say "get the boost exactly how you want it", do you mean a specific level of boost eg. a certain psi, or do you just mean to a level of reduced smoke using a visual measuement....?

thanks

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16 March 2011, 21:36:23 »

Hmm, thats interesting about tweaking the wastegate to increase pressure.
Its actually something i am quite familiar with.

I tightened the wastegate on my tuned rover TD, bringing boost from 16psi, up to 19psi. This was the recommended maximum for that car.

Do you know what sort of Mpg you get from your other full fat omega? As i would like to keep the full fat chip if i can, as i like the power, but ideally i would still be able to get the mpg i want under economical driving conditions.

I have a boost gauge and the feed hose from my old car still, could i fit this is an easy way to measure the effect of the wastegate adjustment?

And when you say about the black streaks, are you saying that it was smoking?
and when you say "get the boost exactly how you want it", do you mean a specific level of boost eg. a certain psi, or do you just mean to a level of reduced smoke using a visual measuement....?

thanks

lol yep always has given me 35/36 running about and 42/43 on runs(spain to uk and uk to spain) however its an early one with no maf, and it has been tweaked with turbo pressure etc etc (see post damn good car in general car chat)
boost guage is a good one?wouldnt like to say use it, it could go wrong so easily, i did my old one with tech 1 connected up so i didnt overboost it, like a mate who just screwed the wastegate in TO WHERE HE THOUGHT IT WAS GOOD, then  wondered why it blew up!!!
 i DID have it boosting at 2.4bar at one time but it was to high,boost pipes were expanding hugely,
ran strong but just spun the wheels up and gave severe axle tramp when it did it,(dry roads) also made the prop shudder on the centre bearing backed it off to around 2.1 i think and it seemed pretty good there smoke wise, just a little at high rpm,
twin black streaks were from the tyres!! oops but it is a concrete drive so pretty easy to spin them up.
each car is different bud, so personally i would do it a little(half a turn max) test it then do it a little more if you thought it needed it? alternatively you can try searching the tinterweb and see if anyone knows an exact figure to boost it to, ? just be careful with it!!

o-meg-a

• south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16 March 2011, 21:46:48 »

hmm,
I'm torn now.

not sure if i should fiddle and keep the +10.....
or swap to the +5....

choices choices :-/

o-meg-a

• south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 17 March 2011, 23:47:54 »

Just been having a read over on bimmerforums.co.uk
They have a chip guy too, who deals with m51 chips (the omega 2.5td, which i'm sure you know).

He reckons there are 2 chips that should be done...
i am aware there are two chips in the ECU, and i'm aware that one of them (the one i have replaced), is for the fueling. But he always replaces both, and the 2nd one is changed slightly too.

I'm intrigued for 2 reasons, 1 being, why is it different for the omega
and 2 being, they map to 170bhp ish easily and with little effect on mpg....

why is the chip we have (full fat) only around 155-160bhp at a guess.

ALSO, lol,
they reckon that on some of the later 525tds models, the turbo was controlled by the ecu, and earlier ones manually.
What is it on the omega engine.

I really want to keep the +10 chip if i can....REALLY REALLY lol.
But i just dont get the fuel drop i had.
I'm running it now with the original chip for a while as i removed the +10 to send back, and i'll see how it does on fuel now around town and on some journeys. So far it seems good again...who knows.

Discuss... lol :D

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18 March 2011, 07:17:14 »

there are a couple of differences between bmw installation and vaux installation!! agree with the 2nd chip probably needing doing we changed mine for an earlier one that doesent suffer the dreaded stutter, it made no difference!!!
bnw has a larger intercooler and there isnt room to put the bmw one n the omega especially if you have aircon, the turbo is in a different place, and rumour has it that it is a smaller output on the omega, this i havent confirmed,
however on my old one i wired the intercooler fan to a manual switch, when i wanted extra power i could switch it on and the nlet temps would plummet, and the power or throttle response is much better, havent done it on the later one yet but i do know the fan is seized >:( which is normal, as ecu dont switch it on till 100degrees(stupid) so may play with that later on, :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.