Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Roll Cage...  (Read 2572 times)

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Cage...
« Reply #15 on: 16 December 2010, 19:21:56 »

Thanks Lizzie, I meant to add "on 'A' class roads" but forgot in a moment of madness, genuinely caused by the thought of someone driving at 80+ with a caravan.

I have seen first hand what happens due to speed while towing, so this is a subject that causes me much distress.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 December 2010, 19:22:02 »

The maximum legal speed for towing a trailer/caravan on UK roads is 50mph not 60.

You need to brush up on your highway code  ;). When towing you're limited to 50 in a NSL and 60 on a dual carriageways & motorways. It's been a long time since the limit was increased to 60  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 December 2010, 19:24:43 »

Thanks Lizzie, I meant to add "on 'A' class roads" but forgot in a moment of madness, genuinely caused by the thought of someone driving at 80+ with a caravan.

I have seen first hand what happens due to speed while towing, so this is a subject that causes me much distress.

Certain circumstances ie weight ratios in Europe allow you to tow at similar speeds though.  ;)

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 December 2010, 19:26:15 »

A roll cage for the caravan would stop it disintergrating and spreading crap all over the road. In fact, it should be a legal requirement come to think of it :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #19 on: 16 December 2010, 19:26:16 »

You are right there, and only someone who frankly is lacking would consider doing that!  But if Bill Oddie does decide to then he can not only be prosecuted for speeding with a caravan, but also done for reckless, even dangerous, driving dependant on the circumstances.  If he kills someone in the process the charge will escallate to death by dangerous driving, to even manslaughter.

His desire for a roll cage will become insignificant :( :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 December 2010, 19:27:06 »

Certain circumstances ie weight ratios in Europe allow you to tow at similar speeds though.  ;)
110kph I seem to recall.

If you get a wiggle on, I'd suggest the van is too heavy for car, or poorly loaded...
Grumpy old man

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 December 2010, 19:28:27 »

Aye well that may be the case in europe, but Id Like to think we can drive better and safer than them.

and I corrected my speed limit mistake in the post above yours,  :y

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 December 2010, 19:31:19 »

A roll cage for the caravan would stop it disintergrating and spreading crap all over the road. In fact, it should be a legal requirement come to think of it :y

there is atually some sense in that, as caravans involved in accidents fold like soggy recyled cornflakes boxes, a simple timber frame isnt sufficient. altho i realise its purely for weight reasons.

:)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 December 2010, 19:34:36 »

....and I corrected my speed limit mistake in the post above yours,  :y

So I saw, I think Jamie must've been stoking the fire up in the server as I was posting ..... it was taking aaaaages.  ;)

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 December 2010, 19:40:59 »

there is atually some sense in that, as caravans involved in accidents fold like soggy recyled cornflakes boxes, a simple timber frame isnt sufficient. altho i realise its purely for weight reasons.

:)
Caravan makers should be forced to fit lightweight titanium roll cages from now on  :y Write to your MP and demand it!!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 December 2010, 20:09:50 »

The national speed limit on the motorway is 70mph.

Not when towing :y

albitz

« Reply #26 on: 16 December 2010, 20:23:35 »

Save up all your toilet roll cardboard centres , cut and join them to shape as required,spray the finished article matt black - job done. :y :D ;D ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2010, 20:27:18 »

.... one with bars on the windows  :)

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 December 2010, 20:27:52 »

Save up all your toilet roll cardboard centres , cut and join them to shape as required,spray the finished article matt black - job done. :y :D ;D ;D
How would you join them? would you use a mig welder with cardboard wire :D

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 December 2010, 20:29:51 »

there is a sticky substance that could be used, its a tad smelly, but im guessing theres no shortage of it  ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.