Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Main cooling fan  (Read 677 times)

chrisr2025

• View Profile
Main cooling fan
« on: 23 June 2010, 17:40:41 »

Hi,
I've had the air con on my 2002 Omega re-gassed today and the system checked for leaks etc. This was the only work carried out. However, when I now start the engine the main cooling fan kicks in straight away and runs constantly while driving. It is relatively rare for it to come on at all in general use other than when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day. It wasn't doing this up to this morning when I dropped the car off. It's obviously making the engine noisy and I'm concerned that it's not really designed to be running like this all the time.
Any thoughts on why this should be connected in any way to the air con work that's been carried out and what the problem might be?
Thanks

same #same#

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorks
  • dont blame me im dyslexic
    • View Profile
Re: Main cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2010, 18:25:27 »

sounds like the thermal switch is shorting out, making the fan start straight away.

chrisr2025

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2010, 18:43:14 »

Thanks for that. Am I looking at a repair or a replacement part? Is this something that might have been disturbed by the technician doing the air con job?
Thanks

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2010, 18:55:35 »

Hi,
I've had the air con on my 2002 Omega re-gassed today and the system checked for leaks etc. This was the only work carried out. However, when I now start the engine the main cooling fan kicks in straight away and runs constantly while driving. It is relatively rare for it to come on at all in general use other than when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day. It wasn't doing this up to this morning when I dropped the car off. It's obviously making the engine noisy and I'm concerned that it's not really designed to be running like this all the time.
Any thoughts on why this should be connected in any way to the air con work that's been carried out and what the problem might be?
Thanks

Sorry for asking this, but do you mean you have had your air con regassed?
If so and you put your air con on the two front fans should come on....
Or do I have this wrong :-?
Daz :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

chrisr2025

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2010, 19:05:49 »

Air con is working fine now and as far as I'm aware so are the fans associated with it. It's the fan that normally cuts in when the engine gets hot (quite noisily and obviously) that seems to be running all the time all of a sudden. It's a bit of a coincidence that this has only happened since the air con was done so I was wondering if there might be something really obvious that the technician has disturbed and can be easily rectified.
Thanks for your time.

Just an update to this: left the car overnight and drove 17 miles to work this morning and fan did not come on. Six hours later & 200 yards up the drive it came on again for a while. Went off on main road but arriving at home came on again almost as soon as I was stationary. Been off and on like a yo yo ever since while driving locally. I know the weather is a bit warmer than usual but temperature guage is not reading much more than normal most of the time.
Any ideas please? I'm not good with cars!
Thanks
« Last Edit: 24 June 2010, 13:59:24 by chrisr2025 »

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2010, 13:20:35 »

you have three fans on the car......

two fans are placed in front of the cooling pack and are run whenever the air-con is working

the single large fan is at the rear of the cooling pack, adjacent to the engine. This is switched on in two stages according to the switch in the side tank.

firstly, I'd make sure its the single main fan that's running.

secondly, as the main fan switch is immediately adjacent to the air-con pipework, I'd make sure that the aircon technician hasn't disturbed it

chrisr2025

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2010, 21:54:35 »

Thanks for the comments. Problem appears to be solved. I took the car back to the air con technician who diagnosed that he'd overfilled the system. It's been done again and the problem seems to be sorted. I'm not sure about hte relationship between this and the high speed fan cutting in!?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2010, 22:40:09 »

you have three fans on the car......

two fans are placed in front of the cooling pack and are run whenever the air-con is working

the single large fan is at the rear of the cooling pack, adjacent to the engine. This is switched on in two stages according to the switch in the side tank.

firstly, I'd make sure its the single main fan that's running.

secondly, as the main fan switch is immediately adjacent to the air-con pipework, I'd make sure that the aircon technician hasn't disturbed it
Not on a 4-pot. 2 only, rad fan & aircon fan
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

zvi

• Intermediate Member
  • IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2010, 09:26:18 »

Thanks for the comments. Problem appears to be solved. I took the car back to the air con technician who diagnosed that he'd overfilled the system. It's been done again and the problem seems to be sorted. I'm not sure about hte relationship between this and the high speed fan cutting in!?
overfill Cause over heat to AC matrix that over heat main matrix and fun works more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.