Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this anything to worry about?  (Read 2045 times)

feeutfo

Re: Is this anything to worry about?
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2009, 15:42:47 »

oil carrys exhaust gas as it lubes the cylinder wall and piston blow by will be in the crank case. When the oil gets in the coolent so does exhaust gas.

You said the oil is ok, which is a far better pointer if it has no mayo/water deposits(as you would expect on filler cap, looks similar) would expect hg to be fine. Thats not to say they havent changed the oil recently to possibly hide this, though a check after a good long test drive should reveal any mayo or emulsified oil.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2009, 18:36:32 »

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o
If you take the cap off ANY car, whether it has a header tank or whether it'a radiator cap, it's going to spill/spew coolant out! It says so on the cap doesn't it? [size=14]High pressure - Open slowly[/size] It's a pressurised system cos the coolant gets hot hence the cap having a relief valve, generally around 13/15 psi.

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • Jaguar. WTF have I done?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2009, 19:24:15 »

Thinking about this I figure if it should have no pressure cold. Then, if I get it nice and hot with the cap off and then screw the cap down and wait a bit, if I take the cap off again it shouldn't be too pressurised as it will have expanded all it could getting hot. Assuming all well there and he has the receipts for the oil cooler (which he says he does) then I should be OK, I think. Possibly!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes (Oscar Wilde)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2009, 19:30:54 »

Thinking about this I figure if it should have no pressure cold. Then, if I get it nice and hot with the cap off and then screw the cap down and wait a bit, if I take the cap off again it shouldn't be too pressurised as it will have expanded all it could getting hot. Assuming all well there and he has the receipts for the oil cooler (which he says he does) then I should be OK, I think. Possibly!

Take the cap off your car when it's all cold. Start your car and get it warming up nicely on tick over. Eventually your coolant will gush out of the tank as your stat opens & allows all the hot water/coolant from the block around the rest of the  system.
Do have some burns gell in your 1st aid kit .... sounds like you might be needing some!  :-?  :-?  ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2009, 19:40:15 »

You need to move on from the water bottle pressure mate. Its not relevant. Firstly your plan is flawed. When hot their will be pressure. The cap is sealed to 13psi to stop the fluid boiling and hence expanding. When you take the cap off the water will boil/expand. It just does. Forget the pressure.

What are you trying to test by doing this? Maybe we can get you on the right path?

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2009, 21:27:08 »

Sure there's something wrong here but bought it anyway!

Cannot smell any exhaust fumes but regardless of how many times I release the pressure it keeps building up. Temperature holds steady though. Wonder if there's a slight blockage caused by oil not being flushed out of the coolant properly.

Either way, the investigation starts. Let's get the old girl in top tip condition! Starting with flushing out that oil from the coolant!

Thanks for the tips guys!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2009, 21:36:58 »

Sure there's something wrong here but bought it anyway!

Cannot smell any exhaust fumes but regardless of how many times I release the pressure it keeps building up. Temperature holds steady though.  .......

Listen to Chris above (apart from using Copper slip  ;)  ;)) Your engine & any other engine builds up pressure in the coolant system when it's running , cos it's getting hot!!
[size=16]Stop taking the header tank cap off before you scald yourself![/size]

Put a decent coolant flush in, follow the instructions on the can/bottle but you say your temp is staying steady, so there can't be much of a blockage.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2009, 00:10:45 »

Just changed an oil cooler on the Estate as it had failed.  Takes ages to clear oil from cooling system - found best way was to drain, flush, refill with water + wash up liquid and run for a couple of days. Clean out plastic tank as most seems to find its way there.  Repeat all above until water flushes clean and no oil residue in plastic tank.  Took about 6 - 7 goes to clear.  Then refill with 5 lits Vx pink antifreeze and top up if required with water.  Job done :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2010, 22:23:07 »

Forgot to tell you all what the problem was: the guy had been topping up his radiator with screenwash from the local garage! So, the alcohol or whatever it is was bursting to get out.

Flushed system several times and topped up with correct antifreeze. Six months later and still no problems.

Relief!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.