Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Worse economy in cold weather?  (Read 1455 times)

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
Worse economy in cold weather?
« on: 07 January 2010, 13:53:38 »

Hi Guys,

Don't know if anyone else has noticed any sort of drop in economy during this cold spell, but I seem to have lost quite a few miles per tank based upon the same sort of driving. Rather than getting 550 from a tank, I am barely seeing 450 an equivalent drop of about 6mpg.

I am assuming this is mainly down to the car being on choke for longer when started from cold - any other factors?

Anyone else notice such a difference?

Abiton

Re: Worse economy in cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2010, 14:02:13 »

Mainly due to extended warm-up, but also possibly slightly affected by the air that you're driving through being denser, and so harder to push out of the way.

Wouldn't like to try and quantify the latter.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2010, 14:38:30 »

heated seats, heated screen, heaters, all take a hit on the mpg, mines dropped by about 5-6 mpg

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2010, 15:20:25 »

i'll agree too all that  :(
waiting for the car to defrost and the oil to warm through / lots of stop / start in the snow  :(
only getting about 25mpg at the moment  :'(

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2010, 15:27:43 »

Every single electronic powered device will cause a drop in mpg.
Driving with aircon on will cause an increase of 1 or even 2 litres per 100 km.
Driving with heating (eco) will also increase consumption but not so much.
Even lights cause an increase of 0.2 to 0.5 litres by some estimates.
Also the car takes longer to warm up, and usually speed is worse in the cold, wet cause of more breaking, acceleration etc.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2010, 16:37:07 »

As they have already said, if the motor is working harder by having to take longer to warm up, generate more power for all the extra electrical gadgets in use, use more fuel by ticking over in traffic queues etc all have an impact on mpg. Nothing is ever cut and dried and the so called 'average' figures that are repeadly quoted have no validity. We all drive totally differently and even if we all drove the same car over the same distance and route the mpg would be radically different between us all. Fact of life I am afraid.
I currently get around 21 in town and 39 on a run. Usually it is 25/27and 43/48.
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2010, 18:03:26 »

there was an intresting thread in the gallery by cateramv6 a couple of weeks back re warm air induction, he basicly fitted a cone filter directly over the exhaust manifold, warmer air means bigger air molecules, which means less air molecules can get in to the engine which means less fuel injected to match the air flow. Means less power but who cares when you just want to get out of your drive to work...

basicly cold air means more fuel and more power. Ever noticed an engine run better in cold air? certainly notice it on a bike.

Abiton

« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2010, 18:29:19 »

Yeah, but the MAF has temperature compensation for just this reason doesn't it?
Should keep the fuelling in proportion to the mass of air going in, irrespective of density???

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2010, 18:31:05 »

Should keep the fuelling in proportion to the mass of air going in, irrespective of density???
all in here
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1261325703

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2010, 18:32:17 »

Yes, it does. However, if you're not actually using the full power it is very slightly more efficient to have less dense air and open the throttle a bit wider to compensate. I'm not convinced it makes enough difference to be worth bothering, which is borne out by the fact that the car doesn't have its' own hot/cold air valve driven by the ECU.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Abiton

« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2010, 18:41:06 »

Aha, I didn't think about reduced pumping losses.   :y

I certainly need warm (well 20°C) air for my Golf to work well, as it has one of those quaint carburettor things.  ;D
VW use a vacuum motor to move a flap on most of their older engines.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2010, 18:42:22 by Abiton »

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2010, 19:21:34 »

I certainly need warm (well 20°C) air for my Golf to work well, as it has one of those quaint carburettor things.  ;D
yours may have a warm air flap then, my Mrs polo has one as said in that thread.
 :y

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2010, 19:27:00 »

yours may have a warm air flap then, my Mrs polo has one as said in that thread.
 :y
although maybr not if its carb?

Abiton

« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2010, 19:35:12 »

Yep, airbox has a (bimetallic) thermostat that controls the vac motor, which moves the flap between cold and warm air feeds to try to maintain 20C.  More or less essential with carbs, and used instead of coolant heating of the TB on injected dubs (dunno about recent ones). Your missus's will be the same, I'd say.   :)

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2010, 21:38:09 »

there was an intresting thread in the gallery by cateramv6 a couple of weeks back re warm air induction, he basicly fitted a cone filter directly over the exhaust manifold, warmer air means bigger air molecules, which means less air molecules can get in to the engine which means less fuel injected to match the air flow. Means less power but who cares when you just want to get out of your drive to work...

basicly cold air means more fuel and more power. Ever noticed an engine run better in cold air? certainly notice it on a bike.

I have to agree - my Saab 900 Turbo was always much better in the cold - much nicer power delivery  :y
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.