Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbo omega? Auto box?  (Read 893 times)

simon allen

• View Profile
Turbo omega? Auto box?
« on: 02 January 2010, 22:40:05 »

Hi guys,
I have a z20let exhaust manifold and turbo. I know the turbo ecotec has been done many times with a low pressure setup so I know that bit works etc. What I would like to know is, when I ditch the standard ecu, is the auto box going to still work? IE is it controlled by the engine ecu? my guess is it's connected in some way...
If it is connected and going to cause problems, is the simtec remappable? or I guess I could get a 5th injector kit?

Just seeing if it has been done in an auto omega - probably not the most usual choice of car to turbo i guess, but I need an auto, and the miggy would be a lot better with a small power increase IMO...
omega cdx auto - the daily driver
lada niva 2.9v6 auto - the nutty underdog

"though this be madness - there be method in it"

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo omega? Auto box?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2010, 08:59:49 »

Gearbox has its own ECU so should still work fine, but i really don't see the point in a 2.0 Turbo Omega, its not very suitable, high-reving small 4 pots are better off in something like an Astra.

With the weight and size of the Omega you need torque, you better off buying a 3.0/3.2 V6 if you want performance

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2010, 09:27:38 »

A turbo will give you torque (not sure how much though).

Did the 20LET ever get matched to an auto in an FWD car? If it did the chances are that that it would have had an AF series gearbox (AF25/AF28) and Im guessing that the ECU could be transplanted to control an AR28.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

simon allen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2010, 09:41:17 »

I'm not after all that much. probably 8psi at most, unless I coul find a good (read cheap without bodging too much) way of lowering the compression ratio.
Also not sure on the rwd auto either, but judging by your response I guess he box is ecu controlled. Bummer!

One other solution that has been brought to my attention, is an lpg emulator to fool the ecu into thinking it's running the injectors still, then something like a megasquirt to run the fuelling. Would just mean possibly that there would still be detonation from too much advance? although probably not with optimax and a CR drop?

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2010, 09:46:08 »

IIRC, there are sump issues associated with this conversion moving a transverse engine into a rear wheel drive (Unless you're using a saab lump). You are also going to loose most of the puff with the autobox because it'll be changing just as the turbo gets on song. With regards to torque,no turbo four banger is going to match a v6 for creamy delivery. I'd say 3.2 all the way but if you are really brave and want massive power,a chevy 5.7 crate engine can be had for £1600 with four bolt mains and £250 stright out the box. You can quite easily find a camaro,firebird Vette set up with 400 bhp and it'll be a lot more exciting! Trust me.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2010, 10:07:05 »

If you were going for a small increase in performance then the standard MAF & ECU should calculate the additional fuel required (assuming that the standard injectors are big enough and that the standard fuel map doesn't impose an arbitary limit). The knock sensors should retard the ignition when knock occurs (but might not retard aggresively enough).

It strikes me that adding a turbo to an engine that wasn't built to cope with it (forged pistons, uprated radiator, heat shielding round turbo, larger fuel injectors, ECU mapping,  ECU boost control............) leads you to a whole lot of expense and pain.

If I was you I would sell the manifold on eBay & get an Omega with a bigger engine :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

sexydaz

« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2010, 14:37:04 »

after reading this i thought you wouldnt get an xr2 engine mess about putting a turbo on it then slap it in a granada youd buy the scorpio to start with :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2010, 16:07:55 »

other problem is insurance, your going to pay big bucks for engine modifications. When a 3.2 will be cheaper to insure and faster....

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2010, 16:14:28 »

Hi guys,
I have a z20let exhaust manifold and turbo. I know the turbo ecotec has been done many times with a low pressure setup so I know that bit works etc. What I would like to know is, when I ditch the standard ecu, is the auto box going to still work? IE is it controlled by the engine ecu? my guess is it's connected in some way...
If it is connected and going to cause problems, is the simtec remappable? or I guess I could get a 5th injector kit?

Just seeing if it has been done in an auto omega - probably not the most usual choice of car to turbo i guess, but I need an auto, and the miggy would be a lot better with a small power increase IMO...
The trouble with turbo charged cars is that the engine relies on the turbo for all its power,and without that your chugging along.Cant beat a thumping straight 6 pot mate. :y
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

simon allen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2010, 19:32:35 »

cheers guys, but I already have my v6 toy. see here (its a pdf)
http://nnoc.co.uk/web/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=28&Itemid=37
i converted that myself :) if ever there was a project "not worth doing" then that would be it... but to me it was.. and still worth the year and a half it took me.

granted the auto would sap a lot of the power, but disability forces me to keep it... i guess the general feeling is not to bother. maybe it would be best reserved for a different project  :-/

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2010, 19:46:11 »

Try it and see

May need a AR35

Will need to try to keep to standard ECU due to automatic

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2010, 23:11:01 »

cheers guys, but I already have my v6 toy. see here (its a pdf)
http://nnoc.co.uk/web/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=28&Itemid=37
i converted that myself :) if ever there was a project "not worth doing" then that would be it... but to me it was.. and still worth the year and a half it took me.

granted the auto would sap a lot of the power, but disability forces me to keep it... i guess the general feeling is not to bother. maybe it would be best reserved for a different project  :-/

Reckon you're right.I could see it in a lightweight sports car but not a heavy weight bruiser. Sell the engine and get a v8 (You can tell I like V8s can't you!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.