Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Arse! MOT Failed.  (Read 1931 times)

toller

• Mirfield, West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Arse! MOT Failed.
« on: 25 November 2009, 18:19:43 »

Took it for it's MOT today and it failed on two fairly piddly items.  First being the handbrake is binding slightly on one wheel (at least thats a free and easy fix) and second they said the O/S headlight lens is degraded to a point it's affecting the beam image, also got an advisory for the same thing on the N/S lens.  Not too bad but I really was hoping to have it back on the road today, all this motorcycling everywhere in hurricane force winds and torrential rain is starting to wear me down.

I now need to source an O/S headlight as i'm presuming it's a sealed unit and you can't just replace the lens.  Only planning on changing the failed light at the mo as funds are a bit tight and it's crimbo a month from today  :'(

At least it's not as piddly a fail as last year when they rejected it because a clip was missing from one of the brake flexi hoses - I was rather furious then :)

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Xbox gamertag MagicGinjaninja
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
Re: Arse! MOT Failed.
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2009, 18:20:59 »

bad luck mate, but as you say, at least they're not too serious or expensive to fix
07 Volvo V70 T5 SE ex police

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2009, 18:24:53 »

So, service the handbrake properly (as per the guide) and strip the headlights and clean them up.

Zero cost

toller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2009, 18:28:02 »

Handbrake is easy enough but what would you recommend for the headlights?   Am I looking at a tube of rubbing compound and lots of elbow grease or this there an easier way.

Cookie Monster

• Andover Hampshire
    • 2000 W reg 2.5 v6 CD auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2009, 18:29:25 »

Maybe i`m being a bit of an old woman or prudish but... i know it must be frustrating to say the least but is the f ...ing etc really needed on here ?
I can swear with the best of them but everything has its place.. sorry if people think i`m being too prudish its just my feelings

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2009, 18:31:42 »

Handbrake is easy enough but what would you recommend for the headlights?   Am I looking at a tube of rubbing compound and lots of elbow grease or this there an easier way.

1200 wet and dry (wet) followed by a good cutting compound to finish.

I assume they looked clouded

toller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2009, 18:33:58 »

The one he failed it on definately looks clouded and is ever so slightly yellow,  the other looks a little hazy but is still fairly clear and not yellow.

Looks like i'll be giving my arms a workout this weekend.

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2009, 18:38:13 »

1200 wet and dry (wet) followed by a good cutting compound to finish.

I assume they looked clouded

What he said! :y I used to do these on fiat coupe headlights. What's faded in usually a laquer. I went for 1200 grit to 1500 grit, coarse compound and then fine compound (Like G3 and G6) they'll come out like new.

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2009, 00:33:35 »

Guess you cant get the car to York? Would offer to buff them up for you! Would be like new in 20/30 mins!
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

toller

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2009, 07:17:26 »

Guess you cant get the car to York? Would offer to buff them up for you! Would be like new in 20/30 mins!

Unfortunatley not, it's out of MOT so sods law says i'd go past about 50 ANPR's if I as much as took it to the end of my road.

Out of interest, would it be feasible for me to remove the lights in order to polish them on a very soft buffing wheel stuck on a lathe at work,  only ever polished metal before, not plastic and don't want to make them any worse than they already are.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2009, 08:53:03 »

I might take you up on that offer if we manage to swing by... Mine are a little cloudy ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2009, 10:53:24 »

Out of interest, would it be feasible for me to remove the lights in order to polish them on a very soft buffing wheel stuck on a lathe at work,  only ever polished metal before, not plastic and don't want to make them any worse than they already are.
Has anyone tried doing this?

I would be worried about overheating the plastic. Presumably if you keep it moving it shouldn't be a problem?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

toller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2009, 13:05:41 »

Has anyone tried doing this?

I would be worried about overheating the plastic. Presumably if you keep it moving it shouldn't be a problem?

I've had a go on some bits of scrap plastic today and the results look promising.  You have to keep moving it around and use a very very soft mop on a fairly low speed but it did take out the scratches i put in with some 80 grit sandpaper.

I reckon with the addition of some fine wet and dry they should come up quite good, i'll be bringing my headlights into work tomorrow to have a proper go.

Radiomarko

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunny Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2009, 16:27:31 »

There are a few threads about this. My lenses which are plastic were very yellowed and scratched, MOT was due so I used "Greygate plastic polish" and 1 hour of elbow grease, worked a treat, MOT = sailed through.

Buy on FleaBay or probably the suggested rubbing compound will do the same job. I did not remove the units only masked off the nearby paintwork.
I hate seagulls.   

Goonybird

• Northampton
  • Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2009, 18:23:17 »

Try T-cut. It is excellent as a plastic polish although you do need a bit of elbow grease.
Have owned: Opel Manta A 1900 Auto Berlinetta, Opel Manta B 2.0 Auto Berlinetta, Vx Royale Coupe 2.8 Auto, various non Vx, Skoda Superb 130tdi currently Omega 2.5CDX - now Octavia vRS WRC
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.