Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: car wont start  (Read 2405 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: car wont start
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2009, 21:31:18 »

done the pedal test , nothing happens dosent flash :-[

Does it light up on start up? ie is the lamp OK?

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2009, 21:34:37 »

Has any work been done on the car recently? When did this start?

pedal trick should work. Check the drive by wire plug is plugged in on the throttle under the drop nose bit on the plenum. This caused mine not flash. Also i guess you should check the throttle position sensor on the pedal too.

steven b

• liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2009, 21:37:27 »

the lamp is ok it comes on briefly when car starts (battery flat)

steven b

• liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2009, 21:41:18 »

had new plugs thats about it , were is the drive by wire located

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 23 October 2009, 21:54:21 »

the lamp is ok it comes on briefly when car starts (battery flat)
Yep, but think of the pedal trick process, your pressing the throttle pedal to the floor,assuming your doing it correctly, (and pressing the brake) the throttle circuit must be complete for the car to know your doing the pedal trick for fault codes when you turn the key to position 2. Otherwise it thinks your just starting the car normally with foot on brake, as you would an auto.

The car must know your pressing the throttle pedal as well, to know what to do. If their is an issue with the drive by wire circuit(your car does not have a throttle cable) it wont know your reading fault codes. Hence will come on at ignition but will not flash for codes as the video.

The fact it will only rev another 100 rpm when you press the pedal makes me think its a drive by wire issue. Mine was exactly the same when i left the plug off by mistake. But without the starting/battery issue. May also be that the drive by wire throttle is faulty.

Not saying its definately that as would need tech 2 to confirm but does sound possible IME

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 23 October 2009, 22:11:31 »

had new plugs thats about it , were is the drive by wire located
2 throttle position sensors, one on the pedal in the footwell above the cardboard cover with 3  quarter turn clips, not likely to be unplugged by mistake but could fail.
Other is the plug on the throttle butterflys in the engine bay. Look at engine, plenum ( big silver grey lump on top with eco tech on it) has 2 inlets nearest you. Between the 2 plastic tubes with jubilee clips and plenum is the throttle body (with throttle butterflys inside) on the throttle body drivers side is a plastic half moon shape, that is the drive by wire actuated throttle, under neith there is the connecter plug which feeds from the cable tray running down passenger side by oil filler iirc. If thats left unplugged after the plenum has been off, or what ever reason, or fails i guess, it will not respond to the pedal, bar 100 rpm or so as you say.

steven b

• liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 October 2009, 16:20:11 »

checked were you said, all pluged in and intact,starting to think maybe i would be better off scraping it as there is a good chance its gonna cost more than its worth to get it fixed,  :'(

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 24 October 2009, 17:00:00 »

checked were you said, all pluged in and intact,starting to think maybe i would be better off scraping it as there is a good chance its gonna cost more than its worth to get it fixed,  :'(

No no no, just needs diagnosing properly by someone more experienced than the likes of me is all, can be done cheaply via the forum trouble is your in Liverpool, not sure if there is a tech 2 near you thats not a dealer.

Can anyone help near Liverpool?

When did this start by the way? Directly after plugs changed maybe? Or did it just start playing up out of the blue?

« Last Edit: 24 October 2009, 17:04:10 by chrisgixer »

steven b

• liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2009, 18:28:16 »

was day after plug change it started , it ran fine all day after the change though, still ive checked and double checked in case i disturbed something when changing  them, all looks fine,

steven b

• liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 October 2009, 18:36:03 »

just thought to check fuel pressure and there is none at all , although there is fuel its not jeting like it was when i removed pipe for plug change, what could this mean ?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 October 2009, 20:54:03 »

Firstly, there are 2 engine management lights. One with a picture of an engine and one with a picture of a spanner (IIRC). Can't remember which one the pedal test flashes but if there are no codes stored the light should flash constantly. If you are not seeing this the light is faulty.

You won't see fuel pressure unless the ECU can see the engine cranking. Given that it's not starting no fuel pressure might not be such a clue. I would say crank sensor is a suspect. Drive by wire system could also be stopping it revving but getting the fault codes will be key.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 24 October 2009, 21:15:39 »

its the car symbol with the spanner through it that flashes the codes out....

steven b

• liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2009, 22:34:51 »

auto spark has told me the ecu is fried, didnt know the car can still run with a fried ecu,  but he knows more than me i suppose . thanx for the help anyway guys , apreciated, im off to try an find a cheap ecu  :-?.   thanks again, ste

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 October 2009, 00:06:58 »

How did he come by his diagnosis, Tech2, "My Naff Code Reader", crystal ball or just guesswork?
I'd be wanting a bit more than a quick it's the ecu before I replaced one.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 October 2009, 06:34:51 »

How did he come by his diagnosis, Tech2, "My Naff Code Reader",crystal ball or just guesswork?
I'd be wanting a bit more than a quick it's the ecu before I replaced one.
PMSL  ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.