Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I look for...?  (Read 1093 times)

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
What should I look for...?
« on: 16 September 2009, 18:34:54 »

I'm intending to look at a 53reg CDX 2.2i on Sunday advertised for £1.4k. It's done 112k and looks in good nick throughout. The only downer is no service history and the seller has admitted the service light is on so a service is due.

What should I look for in particular common faults? I know that rocker gaskets can fail and should I buy it a service including cambelt kit and gaskets would be first on my list but should I look anywhere else - and is it possible to check condition of said gaskets?

I don't know much about engines - my level expertise streches to changing plugs, leads and dis packs but that's about it! All other work would be done by my usual family run garage.

Thanks all
« Last Edit: 16 September 2009, 18:45:25 by cmeonthemove »
Chris
------
2.5 Elite

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: What should I look for...?
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2009, 19:01:26 »

There is no such thing as a service light on an Omega, so that would alarm me straight away. Any dash warning light that is illuminated with the engine running is a concern. Cambelt and tensioners is the most important thing to worry about IMO. The full camblet kit MUST be changed every 40,000 or 4 years without fail. If the current owner can't tell you when it was last done then you've got to get it done as soon as possible, without fail. I used to have a 2.2, and they're pretty good. Mine only had 36,000 but they can cope with high mileages, change the oil every 3k and look at the condition of the coolant. But if you're having the cambelt changed you'll need a new water pump so the coolant would have to be changed at that stage anyway. Gaskets only go from poor maintenance. PM JamesV6Elite who I think is called 'jamesholeinblock' now or 'Loo-Knee' or another mechanic on here to get prices for cambelt change. All of those guys know what they're doing, you getting a much better service than a garage for a mere fraction of the cost.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2010, 13:27:47 by TheBoy »

Stevie-blunder

• Omega Knight
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2009, 19:20:58 »

There is no such thing as a service light on an Omega, so that would alarm me straight away. Any dash warning light that is illuminated with the engine running is a concern. Cambelt and tensioners is the most important thing to worry about IMO. The full camblet kit MUST be changed every 40,000 or 4 years without fail. If the current owner can't tell you when it was last done then you've got to get it done as soon as possible, without fail. I used to have a 2.2, and they're pretty good. Mine only had 36,000 but they can cope with high mileages, change the oil every 3k and look at the condition of the coolant. But if you're having the cambelt changed you'll need a new water pump so the coolant would have to be changed at that stage anyway. Gaskets only go from poor maintenance. PM JamesV6Elite who I think is called 'jamesholeinblock' now or 'Loo-Knee' or another mechanic on here to get prices for cambelt change. All of those guys know what they're doing, you getting a much better service than a garage for a mere fraction of the cost.

Good words  :y I bet the "service light" is the engine management light, in which case I'd get an expert to check it over  :y
« Last Edit: 27 September 2010, 13:28:09 by TheBoy »

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2009, 19:25:44 »

The light that's a car with a spanner through it means a problem with the transmission if it's an auto, or engine electronics, or an immobiliser problem if it is flashing - 100% not a service light  :y
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2009, 19:49:41 »

The manuals description of the dash light:

Engine electronics, transmission
electronics, immobilizer
Control indicator lights up for a few seconds
when ignition is switched on.
If it lights up when the engine is running:
Fault in the engine electronics or transmission
electronics system. The electronic system
switches to an emergency running
programme. Fuel consumption may be
increased and the driveability of the vehicle
may be impaired; see page 150. If there is a
fault in the transmission electronics system,
switch to manual gears; see page 138.
Consult a Vauxhall Dealership.
If it flashes when the ignition is on:
Fault in the electronic immobilizer system; the
engine cannot be started
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2009, 20:17:44 »

Take a look at this posting which has the Omega users manual....
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1232026151

...will give you an idea of how things should be  :y
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2009, 22:33:27 »

Judging from the mileage I bet the cam sensor is the cause of the light.
On 2.2 cam you need to clean the breathers otherwise cam cover gasket very easily goes away.
And from info on the net 2.2 seems to be the engine with least problems of all migs engines.
Several drawbacks only are the cam sensor (this needs replacing with original part and not aftermarket cause it doesn't work) Regular breathers cleaning, paperclip teest doesn't work on this engiine, relatively high consumption in town driving

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2009, 13:33:58 »

Thanks for the advice all. It's an auto so looks like transmission issues. I'll pass on it and carry on looking elsewhere...
Chris
------
2.5 Elite

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2009, 13:37:26 »

Thanks for the advice all. It's an auto so looks like transmission issues. I'll pass on it and carry on looking elsewhere...
On a CDX, if its transmission related, you will get AUTOGEARBOX appear on MID during a test drive.

There's a few things it could be - cam sensor being likely candidate - but it will cost you money to get it diagnosed.

Now if you can get the car for under a grand....... ;)
Grumpy old man

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2009, 13:40:26 »

[/quote]
Now if you can get the car for under a grand....... ;)[/quote]

Hmmm food for thought!  ;)
Chris
------
2.5 Elite

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2009, 16:49:44 »

Ok I'm looking at a 2.5 Elite on a 98-S plate tomorrow instead which is being sold locally. Price £795. It's done 118k and MoT/Tax until Feb. I'll have a look at service history tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2009, 16:50:00 by cmeonthemove »
Chris
------
2.5 Elite
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.