Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good News, Bad News, Help Please  (Read 1077 times)

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
Good News, Bad News, Help Please
« on: 26 November 2007, 17:53:22 »

Good News:

Had the day off to try to rectify the wife's Astra idleing problem, it was very up and down and seemed like it wanted to stall so it kept revving up and then falling away, if you see what I mean. Went to the Vx dealer for a new throttle body gasket and to the local motor factors for a new air filter. As I was working on the car I wore a boiler suit and didn't change to go for the bits, both of them gave me trade discount without even asking. The moral of the story I guess is to look the part and they don't question you.

Bad news:

The throttle body was a lot more complicated to do than the Omega, lots of pipes and sensors and a throttle cable thingy, what's that for?  ;)

Anyway, I lost my bottle at the last minute and didn't take the whole thing out although I had disconnected practically everything and I did give it a wipe around with a rag and changed the gasket and air filter. Reconnected everything and tightened and torqued everthing properly.

The car still idles at around 1,000 rpm, although this is quite steady, but this seems too high to me. This is even after a 30 minute run back from St Austell around the lanes so the engine was definately up to temperature.

Help:

My questions are, what else could cause the car to idle so fast? Does the throttle look so dirty that this could be the culprit? Is 1,000 rpm too high an idle speed?

The car is a 1998 Astra G, 1.6l 16v.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2007, 17:54:18 by martin_saint »
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
Re: Good News, Bad News, Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2007, 17:56:48 »

Good News:

Had the day off to try to rectify the wife's Astra idleing problem, it was very up and down and seemed like it wanted to stall so it kept revving up and then falling away, if you see what I mean. Went to the Vx dealer for a new throttle body gasket and to the local motor factors for a new air filter. As I was working on the car I wore a boiler suit and didn't change to go for the bits, both of them gave me trade discount without even asking. The moral of the story I guess is to look the part and they don't question you.

Bad news:

The throttle body was a lot more complicated to do than the Omega, lots of pipes and sensors and a throttle cable thingy, what's that for?  ;)

Anyway, I lost my bottle at the last minute and didn't take the whole thing out although I had disconnected practically everything and I did give it a wipe around with a rag and changed the gasket and air filter. Reconnected everything and tightened and torqued everthing properly.

The car still idles at around 1,000 rpm, although this is quite steady, but this seems too high to me. This is even after a 30 minute run back from St Austell around the lanes so the engine was definately up to temperature.

Help:

My questions are, 1.what else could cause the car to idle so fast? 2,Does the throttle look so dirty that this could be the culprit? 3,Is 1,000 rpm too high an idle speed?

1, Dont Know.

2, Who Cares.

3, Maybe

I hope this helps :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 26 November 2007, 17:57:59 by Crazydad »

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2007, 17:58:34 »

Good News:

Bad news:

Help:

My questions are, what else could cause the car to idle so fast? Does the throttle look so dirty that this could be the culprit? Is 1,000 rpm too high an idle speed?

Mine idles at around 500 when it does'nt stick at 1500 ::)
« Last Edit: 26 November 2007, 17:58:53 by mickdundee »

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2007, 17:59:15 »

Good News:

Bad news:

Help:

My questions are, 1.what else could cause the car to idle so fast? 2,Does the throttle look so dirty that this could be the culprit? 3,Is 1,000 rpm too high an idle speed?

1, Dont Know.

2, Who Cares.

3, Maybe

Your input is greatly welcome as ever Steve.  :P

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2007, 18:12:33 »

Good News:

Bad news:

Help:

1, Dont Know.

2, Who Cares.

3, Maybe

Your input is greatly welcome as ever Steve.  :P

I'll second that
 :y

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2007, 18:15:11 »

Thanks Guys :'( :'(

Its nice to know that i am a well respected member of the Forum. I try to do my best to help you along

the thin line. 8-) 8-) 8-) ;D

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2007, 18:21:27 »

Thanks Guys :'( :'(

Its nice to know that i am a well respected member of the Forum. I try to do my best to help you along

the thin line. 8-) 8-) 8-) ;D

No problem anytime :y, I might have posted the same comment but you done it first ;D ;D

raximax

• Intermediate Member
  • dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2007, 18:33:56 »

choke stuck :-/  :question
« Last Edit: 26 November 2007, 18:34:23 by raximax »
mmeeggaa

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2007, 18:38:07 »

That throttle body needs to come off Martin, and then a damn good clean. It only takes a small amount of crap to stop them working properly. Are all your vacuum hoses seated right?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2007, 19:21:51 »

Maybe be worth leaving it a few days, to see if ECU adjusts the idle speed...

My Omega idled fast for a few days after I changed an air filter that had done 60k.....after a few days it slowed back down again....think it just needed to learn it had more air coming in than it was used too.

Edit......i thought you had cleaned the throttle body in situ when i first read your post.......if its still that dirty as the photo......it needs a bloody good clean  :y
« Last Edit: 26 November 2007, 19:46:14 by Taxi_Driver »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2007, 19:36:46 »

As a suggestion with my weak knowledge this would be the order if I try

Cleaning throttle area
cleaning IAC valve
changing CTS (if this is gone also worth checking Thermostat)

I'm a little expensive mechanic isnt it ?  ;D

ps: also worth checking air leakage..
« Last Edit: 26 November 2007, 19:37:47 by cem_devecioglu »

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2007, 22:04:33 »

That throttle body needs to come off Martin, and then a damn good clean. It only takes a small amount of crap to stop them working properly. Are all your vacuum hoses seated right?

I was afraid of that. What a bloody horrible job, so many pipes and sensors and tubes. And it's right at the back of the engine so your leaning over all the time.

Still, will give it a go this weekend then.

Thanks Steve. I knew there was someone sensible on here.  ;D ;D

Thanks to Dave and Cem also for your input. Looks like I will just have to do the full job then.  :y

STMO123

« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2007, 22:06:49 »

I was afraid of that. What a bloody horrible job, so many pipes and sensors and tubes. And it's right at the back of the engine so your leaning over all the time.

Still, will give it a go this weekend then.

Thanks Steve. I knew there was someone sensible on here.  ;D ;D

Thanks to Dave and Cem also for your input. Looks like I will just have to do the full job then.  :y

Now then ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2007, 22:15:24 »

Remove and clean the black electrical bit to the left rear of your pic. Its the idle control valve, make sure you clean it and the hole in the throttle housing as these get very sooty and cause most of the idle problems on the astra ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2007, 22:18:44 »

Remove and clean the black electrical bit to the left rear of your pic. Its the idle control valve, make sure you clean it and the hole in the throttle housing as these get very sooty and cause most of the idle problems on the astra ;)

Cheers Dazzler. Definately looks like I'm breaking the wife's car this weekend then.

Could be worse, it could be mine.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.