Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Core plug replacement  (Read 829 times)

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Core plug replacement
« on: 28 March 2009, 23:29:30 »

Is there a way of replacing the core plugs on the head? I took my rear cam cover off looking for a leak and seen there was some coolant residue coming from one of the two plugs that are near where the timing belt tensioners are attached. Can these be replaced or do I need to remove the head and get an engineering company to replace them?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Core plug replacement
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2009, 23:34:51 »

Is there a way of replacing the core plugs on the head? I took my rear cam cover off looking for a leak and seen there was some coolant residue coming from one of the two plugs that are near where the timing belt tensioners are attached. Can these be replaced or do I need to remove the head and get an engineering company to replace them?

When I've replaced core plugs, I've cleaned up where the core plug seats, and knocked 'em in with the biggest socket I can it in.

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2009, 23:51:05 »

When I've replaced core plugs, I've cleaned up where the core plug seats, and knocked 'em in with the biggest socket I can it in.

how did you remove them?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2009, 23:57:14 »

how did you remove them?

Stuffed a screw driver through the rusted hole & levered them out! ;) ;) ;) I last replaced core  plugs on SWMBO's late great uncle's Cavalier. He'd been told the engine was u/s & had been quoted £££££'s for a replacement engine  >:(. One core plug in it's head was obviously fubar'd, and was the cause of his water leak, but the other two weren't far behind. Cost pennies from Vauxhall.

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2009, 00:14:53 »

thats what I thought, great minds think alike  :y

Bugger is I've just spent the best part of my weekend replacing my HG and my super dupa coolant dye showed up some residue from the core plug, I guess it would have saved me the hassle   ::) £119 for bits or £1 for a core plug  ;D

Thanks for the info  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2009, 00:32:22 »

Bugger is I've just spent the best part of my weekend replacing my HG and my super dupa coolant dye showed up some residue from the core plug, I guess it would have saved me the hassle   ::) £119 for bits or £1 for a core plug  ;D......

Bugger!  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2009, 00:33:46 »

thats what I thought, great minds think alike  :y .....

Either that or ..... fools never differ! ;D ;D ;D
I do prefer your version though!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2009, 09:11:18 »

Anyone got a pic of the core plugs?? Worth replacing for the hell of it or do they need to rust first to get them off lol
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

vauxmad

• Oswestry, Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2009, 10:43:31 »

you can replace them during a head gasket change but unless then were leaking a bit i wouldn't bother otherwise
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.