Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More problems: oil pump oil seal - anyone got one?  (Read 926 times)

Clouseau

• Telford
  • Keeping the dream alive...
    • View Profile
More problems: oil pump oil seal - anyone got one?
« on: 27 September 2008, 17:38:35 »

Having sheared off an easy-out in my cylinder head yesterday  >:( I carried on with the job and tried to put that behind me!  Got the manifold welded up - quick before and after ...

Well pleased with that. :D  I'm doing this job to get to the route of a very oily timing belt area - I suspect the camshaft oil seals as they were in pretty poor condition, but I' replacing everything including the oil pump (crankshaft) seal.  I had already bought a new one from Vauxhall (£17!) and whilst trying to fit it I knackered it. >:( Now no-one has got one in stock and this is going to set me back until Wednesday.

Before (oily)

After a clean up

:y

Rich

Don't suppose anyone's got a spare oil seal or knows where to get their hands on one? Part number is 90501720 :-/

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
Re: More problems: oil pump oil seal - anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2008, 17:46:12 »

Ooh. Forgot to ask. Any tips for easing the seal over the shaft?  I have a drift to actually press it into the recess, but it's just getting the seal initially over the shaft. I lubricated the lip, and have now slightly rounded over the lip of the shaft with some wet and dry so maybe ok this time around? :-/

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2008, 20:43:05 »

Collected the head today - amazing job on THAT stud:

Before:

After:

They also fitted new studs and valve stem oil seals as well as giving the surfaces a light skim and giving the whole head a thorough clean.

Happy to hand over £75 for that lot!

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2008, 19:30:25 »

All done and purring like a kitten.  Found lots of inspiration and tips on this site and will happily advise anyone embarking on a rebuild like this.Cheers all.

Rich

[smiley=mig.gif]

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2008, 19:45:32 »

well done fella looks a job very well done  :y :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2008, 20:33:51 »

I personaly think that all easiouts should be placed in the nearest circular filing cabinet!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2008, 20:36:15 »

also, does the end of teh crank not have a circular insert onto which the seal touches.....if so you can pop it off to make fitting the seal easier and turn it round so it has a new face to run on.

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2008, 20:47:25 »

I personaly think that all easiouts should be placed in the nearest circular filing cabinet!

Seconded!

I would also advise that anyone undertaking this sort of job should invest in a decent torque wrench.  The torque settings on aluminium heads are very low, and I suspect that these bolts are very often overtightened - probably the main cause of many cam cover leaks.

I bought one of these from Halfords - superb tool and very accurate (goes down to 8 NM as well).  

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_178843_langId_-1_categoryId_76866#
It was £49.99 so I asked a young lad on the parts desk to let me have a look at one, and I asked if there was any chance of a bit of discount. Initially he said "No" but then gave in and said "I'll see what I can do" .... ended up paying £39.99!
« Last Edit: 01 October 2008, 21:05:45 by rjlangton »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2008, 20:58:54 »

Seconded!

I would also advise that anyone undertaking this sort of job should invest in a decent torque wrench.  The torque settings on aluminium heads are very low, and I suspect that these bolts are very often overtightened - probably the main cause of many cam cover leaks.

I bought one of these from Halfords - superb tool and very accurate (goes down to 8 NM as well).  

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_178843_langId_-1_categoryId_76866#
It was £49.99 so I asked a young lad on the parts desk to let me have a look at one, and I asked if there was any chance of a bit of discount. Initially he said "No" but then gave in and said "I'll see what I can do" .... ended up paying £39.99!
Yup, I got one of those after I lost confidence in my Sealy one.  £39 is the trade price...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.