Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help is needed anyone??  (Read 3302 times)

omega2.2CDX

• View Profile
Help is needed anyone??
« on: 31 July 2008, 00:02:39 »

hi guys, i wonder if someone could help, I have a 2.2 omega CDX w reg. a couple of weeks ago it rained really heavily, next morning i noticed the carpet on the passenger side is soaked and took sometime to dry it up , checked my coolant tank, water level seemed unchanged. 10 days later the engine gauge was reaching a 100 which's never happened before and it touched the red lines at one occasion, checked the water levels again unchanged, no noticeable water leak, no oil in water. heating and air con are working with no problems. Drove on motorway for 2 hours with no bother, but once stationary or in traffic jam temp climbs up again.
i've been to three garages and everyone tells me a different diagnosis. one said its the radiator, second said its the heater matrix , last one (which sounded more sensible to me although am not an expert) said its probably the thermostat....I am totally lost and dunno what to do and who to believe......any advice is much appreciated ....thanks in advance

craig

• north wales/connah's quay
    • View Profile
Re: Help is needed anyone??
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2008, 00:05:56 »

Alright mate welcome to the oof :y :y you'll get alot more advice tomorrow when there will be alot more people on to help you :y

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2008, 00:08:58 »

The wet carpet after heavy rain is more then likely a blocked scuttle drain. Look in the maintenence guides on where and what to do ;)

Are your cooling fans kicking in when the temp rises?????
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

omega2.2CDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2008, 00:20:35 »

yes cooler fan is working fine

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2008, 00:22:50 »

If fans are working and levels are fine etc.....the my best guess would be to start with the thermostate too ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

omega2.2CDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2008, 00:26:13 »

do you think its easy enough to do it myself, i mean changing the thermostat, if so where can i find it

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2008, 07:00:59 »

Firstly clean out the scuttle, see the guide in the Maintenance section.

Overheating, probably thermostat, or the rad needs a good flush.

Get yourself a Haynes manual, it doesn't cover the 2.2, but as the layout of the 2.0 and the 2.2 are pretty much the same, it covers most things.

Are you sure the fan in front of the rad. cuts in?

If you do change the thermostat, give the rad a good flush out, and only fill it up with genuine Vx antifreeze (50/50 mix).
I like red cars

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2008, 08:57:29 »

hi guys, i wonder if someone could help, I have a 2.2 omega CDX w reg. a couple of weeks ago it rained really heavily, next morning i noticed the carpet on the passenger side is soaked and took sometime to dry it up , checked my coolant tank, water level seemed unchanged. 10 days later the engine gauge was reaching a 100 which's never happened before and it touched the red lines at one occasion, checked the water levels again unchanged, no noticeable water leak, no oil in water. heating and air con are working with no problems. Drove on motorway for 2 hours with no bother, but once stationary or in traffic jam temp climbs up again.
i've been to three garages and everyone tells me a different diagnosis. one said its the radiator, second said its the heater matrix , last one (which sounded more sensible to me although am not an expert) said its probably the thermostat....I am totally lost and dunno what to do and who to believe......any advice is much appreciated ....thanks in advance

Right, the water is east as that is the scuttle drain!

As for the over heating, heres some food for thought which will give you an idea how crap at least two of the garages are!

1) The heater matrix is not part of the engine cooling setup so will have no affect on the temp at all!. In fact, the flow through it can be shut off by the heater bypass valve when max chill is selected on the climate.

2) The thermostat is designed to fail open, so if it was failed I would expect the car to take an age to heat up. If it failed shut then there would be no/limited flow through the radiator and it would over heat even at speed.

3) The radiator is a possible but, they should have checked the surface temperature with a laser temp probe to see if there is any sign of blockages. Such radiator issues tend to come on over time rather than suddenly

My next simple step would be to check the fuses in the under bonnet ECU box (triangle shaped thing on the inner wing), one of these is for the front fan setup!

As for reaching 100 degrees, in this weather and in slow moving traffic, its quite normal, did you hear the cooling fans kick in at all?

omega2.2CDX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2008, 11:46:36 »

yes the cooling fan is kickin in at about 100 degrees

HolyCount

« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2008, 12:04:15 »

Fans seem to be kicking in a little late ---- Mark ... do these have a sensor or other way to set when they operate ???

v6coop

• Nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2008, 14:12:34 »

Excuse me whislt I get onto my hobby horse again.

If the fuses are OK, when the temperature gauge is reading high (after a run) try carefully touching the thick brown -ve battery cable (0V) close to the terminal clamp. Does it seem overly hot?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2008, 14:31:24 »

Fans seem to be kicking in a little late ---- Mark ... do these have a sensor or other way to set when they operate ???

Yes but, there are two cooling fans which come on at various points at different speeds......hence check the fuses as only one fan might be working!

omega2.2CDX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2008, 21:22:12 »

thanks guys for your input,  i'll check the fuses and let you know

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2008, 22:39:50 »

Yes but, there are two cooling fans which come on at various points at different speeds......hence check the fuses as only one fan might be working!

had a similar problem recently of heating very quickly in traffic. It turned out that the fuse for the "1st" fan had gone (maxi 30amp - green in compartment next to battery). Basically the rad. has 2 fans - 1st kicks in at about 95 degrees and you can barely hear it, the 2nd kicks in at c100 degrees. It would be worth checking the fuse. Good luck

omega2.2CDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2008, 14:08:51 »

i had a look at the fuses box, they look so different from the usual electrical fuse...am i looking in the right place( its the triangular box just next to the battery)!! however i opened the green ones which has got a circuit inside and they all looked very similar , couldn't tell whether they are faulty.
any comments?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.