Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Head Gasket change - help please!  (Read 2082 times)

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
Head Gasket change - help please!
« on: 03 August 2008, 23:14:48 »

As discussed in my previous thread
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1213844651/0
my car isn't happy. neither am i as i havent been using it!

I've not had the bottle or the time to strip the engine (for the first time in my life!!!) and have got to the stage where i really would like someone to do it!

Anyone want to have a go this week? Or know a local/brummie that does?
The car does drive but i'm trying to minimise the extra wear/tear/smell that produces!

I've beer tokens, tea, a trade club card and enthusiasm to offer!

Dave.
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

feeutfo

Re: Head Gasket change - help please!
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2008, 23:46:59 »

Nottingham may be to far for you but Mark dtm
might be in that line of work? Worth a pm perhaps?

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2008, 16:29:00 »

think he's busy :(
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2008, 16:35:33 »

I'm a bit pushed for a while - read the guide and have a go?

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2008, 16:42:57 »

lol. thanks for the reply, i love your confidence james. but i'm petrified!!!

i'm fine with any interior stuff, outside managed to change plugs/leads once. would do another exhaust after working with Timbuk too, but my worry with engine work is not knowing what i should be looking for and finding gremlins!

research from posts and stuff lead me to require to do both head gaskets, at least one set of rocker gaskets again (i presume they can be re-used unless oil has been blown through them already!) probably the water pump and then flush/change the coolant. (which'll be the third lot in less than a year!)

then i found pics on refurbing a head.... i think they were yours, and the whole business of lapping in valves etc looks amazing but i don't want to blow my engine up by doing it wrong!

:-/ :-/

maybe i should practice on the non-working cdx first?

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
  • Whats in the fridge today? Beer and Sausages....UM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2008, 16:44:44 »

i'm fine with any interior stuff, outside managed to change plugs/leads once. would do another exhaust after working with Timbuk too, but my worry with engine work is not knowing what i should be looking for and finding gremlins!

research from posts and stuff lead me to require to do both head gaskets, at least one set of rocker gaskets again (i presume they can be re-used unless oil has been blown through them already!) probably the water pump and then flush/change the coolant. (which'll be the third lot in less than a year!)

then i found pics on refurbing a head.... i think they were yours, and the whole business of lapping in valves etc looks amazing but i don't want to blow my engine up by doing it wrong!

I am more than willing to lend a hand matey. Sure we could crak it between  us. Not done a head on a mig... lots or Rover though!  ;D

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2008, 16:45:29 »

always a good plan  :y

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2008, 16:52:46 »

aw thanks for the offer and PM mate!

I actually have two ill cars but it's only one i'm desperate to fix. my lovely elite's head gasket (s) have gone and there's associated works with that . James is trying to give me confidence to have a go but i'm wavering!

the cdx has been sick for many months. adorning our front lawn for 12 of those! last time i had a look i blew the bagpipes off using too much damp start stuff! lol. it has a catalogue of probs and as its a 96P should really be broke and weighed in i guess....

anyway, the Elite is my priority and like a wassock i've let it sit for a fortnight when next week i'm off on bloody holiday!

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2008, 16:57:30 »

I actually have two ill cars but it's only one i'm desperate to fix. my lovely elite's head gasket (s) have gone and there's associated works with that . James is trying to give me confidence to have a go but i'm wavering!

the cdx has been sick for many months. adorning our front lawn for 12 of those! last time i had a look i blew the bagpipes off using too much damp start stuff! lol. it has a catalogue of probs and as its a 96P should really be broke and weighed in i guess....

anyway, the Elite is my priority and like a wassock i've let it sit for a fortnight when next week i'm off on bloody holiday!

Love my 96 'P' would break my heart to part with her!  :'( :'(
Well mate, if you do fancy a hand in having a go between us... the offer stands. I am on Hols next week too.

Are you sure its the HG?  :(

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2008, 17:04:03 »

I am more than willing to lend a hand matey. Sure we could crak it between  us. Not done a head on a mig... lots or Rover though!  ;D

does that mean you have the tools for the job too? :)

i'm pretty sure it's the HG as the oil cooler and HBV were done just before christmas. the rocker gaskets were all done in march, the coolant level has been dropping and there's no sign of oil in it. Oh and the amount of mayo is enough to keep Hellmans going!

i love my 96P as well, for the fact it's black has only done 65k and looked stunning when bought. but I wouldve sold it three years ago had it started when a buyer came! a comedy of faults and timewasting on my part means it's still on me lawn!!! I've lost count how many breakers have knocked on the door for it. last one even left a sticker on it!  ;D

so do you have any time this week? or is it a case of leaving it til after hols?!

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2008, 17:09:20 »

Well mate, if you do fancy a hand in having a go between us... the offer stands. I am on Hols next week too.

another reason i'm asking for help is for an experienced eye!

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2008, 17:11:09 »

another reason i'm asking for help is for an experienced eye!

Well I am hardly that! LOL  ;)  But what you upto the weekend??
2 eyes may be better than one (pair I mean!)  ;D

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2008, 17:20:43 »

::) ::) ::) ::) indeed is better. lol.

sadly tis the season to be wedded it would seem.  Every bloomin weekend!

It's a massive shame that instead of air conditioned mig luxury we have been travelling/have got to travel in a Corsa breeze to at least one wedding a weekend! next weekend it's two! friday and saturday.. and that one's in bloody north wales!! :( The Corsa is fine around town but only she can cope with it on a long journey. it aint a patch on my mig :(:(:(

i could always put air recirc on to avoid the smell and take a few litres of water/oil for the trip...... :-/
 >:( no that's bad. will damage engine more. boo.  >:(

at least our plans for france next week changed from using the mig to flying out!

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2008, 17:22:26 »

Oh dear  :'( :'( :'(

Not a good situation to be in!  ::)

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2008, 17:25:32 »

yeah. i know, that's why i want me car back.

maybe i should just buy James LPG estate as a runaround?!!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.