Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 hugely down on power  (Read 4050 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: V6 hugely down on power
« Reply #45 on: 03 April 2008, 08:29:36 »

Well just to keep you guys updated. The car had a new rocker gasket fitted today on one side (the other was ok), the breather cleaned out and the plugs cleaned up.

Cost me £151 for everything.

Once the plooms of smoke had stopped comming from the exhaust (normal?)the car is definatley a bit faster but i still feel that its not 100%.  The car pretty much stops accelerating when it gets to 90mph to such a slow creep which cant be right for a 142mph car. My mothers mondeo 2.0 would leave it for dead.

New plugs, leads or distributor perhaps?

Next step...

Is the fuel filter and air filter reasonably new?

keith2.2

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 April 2008, 11:30:01 »

However I did find one once; Vauxhall Main Dealer Patchway Motors of Filton Bristol.  They maintained six of my company high mileage (80-100k per year) cars from new, with none letting me down.  Also used them for three private Vauxhalls with great service overall.
Lizzie Zoom  :y :y :D

I suspect the points might not be entirely exclusive of eachother  ;)
2.2 litre, 210bhp, 910kg stripped honda civic
LPG'd MV6 Omega

tomTVR

• York, North Yorhshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 April 2008, 09:26:56 »

Right i thought i would post my story as a bit of a warning to people to do preventative maintainance with this problem.

I first took the car to a garage to chance the rocker cover gasket which i thought would cure the problem, it didnt and cost me £51. I took it back to the garage to do the coil and ht leads as the next step, they also discover the gasket has gone again so suggest a warped rocker cover so that will need replacing and along with it another gasket. This bill comes to about £440. The stupid garage after having the car for a week decided to tell me that they had been busy with other jobs so after a week without a car (pissed me off as they knew they were busy yet didnt bother to tell me) i took it back as i needed it for a long trip. On the motorway due to the overfueling caused by poor running caused the exhaust to explode after filling with petrol. The car sounds like a chav racer its so loud. Return to garage who quote about £200 for the exhaust repair. Also they set about to finally fix the original problem but find that the bolts on the manifold are past their best (manifold needs to be taken off to change the coil) and will most likely sheer off and require recoring, this will add another couple of hundred to the bill. Add that lot to the cost of new spark plugs and the amount of money i am spending on fuel due to the dreadful mpg the cost of getting the car back to full health will be getting on for £800! This is at a trusted garage with reasonable labour rates.

As its happens i decided not to fix it and am just going to run it with reduced power and a broken exhaust. Cant justify that sort of money right now, especially as the car only cost me £500 in the first place.

I guess the moral to my story is that a seemingly small problem can snowball into a right ballache. Also dont drive the car too much when it is overfueling as that was a serious explosion and knackared exhaust!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 April 2008, 09:37:21 »

That garage are having a laugh. All the usual excuses. Warped rocker covers to cover up the fact that they messed up with the first gasket change, and I have no idea what manifold they are talking about removing to get to the coil pack.

If I were you I'd have a look at some of the maintenance guides and sort it yourself. It's probably something silly and you can have it running well pretty cheaply.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.