Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self levelling HID headlamp warning  (Read 995 times)

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
Self levelling HID headlamp warning
« on: 12 March 2008, 18:45:06 »

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I've got a ex-police facelift with HIDs fitted, and I've started getting a headlamp level adjustment warning on the CID. I also suspect that the self levelling suspension isn't actually working, so I've taken it to the local VX dealer.

They called back when I was out, and scared the life out of Mrs Big Cat with a quote of £2500 for lots of other unnecessary work, but no mention of repairing the headlight/self levelling issue.

Anyway, they've abandoned the job because "there are wires cut somewhere", and despite charging me for the diagnostics, refuse to continue. So now I'm stuck.

Threads on the forum refer to two suspension sensors, FNS and RNS. As I'm going to have to diagnose the problem myself - without a Tech II, can anyone give me a idea of what to look for?

Thanks in advance.
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

ricardo1500

• Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
Re: Self levelling HID headlamp warning
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2008, 18:52:00 »

I had a similar problem last week......here is the link to the help and advice I got and the solution i found

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1205005309

good luck!!

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2008, 18:54:41 »

There is a sensor on the front passenger side wishbone. Mine was broken and i got the warning on the MID Low Beam. FLD/Vision .
There is also a sensor on the rear passenger side too.....
Probably save yourself £2490
« Last Edit: 12 March 2008, 18:55:34 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2008, 19:15:39 »

I had a similar problem last week......here is the link to the help and advice I got and the solution i found
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1205005309
good luck!!

Thanks Ricardo, I don't think that's my problem, because the suspension itself isn't levelling, but it does give me a clearer picture of what I'm dealing with.

The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2008, 19:20:58 »

The self leveling and HID levelling are totaly different and both don't even need to be on the  car !! ....

The self levelling suspension reacts far too slowly for the HIDs, which is why they have a totally seperate system.

There are several long threads about HIDS around

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2008, 19:45:03 »

The self leveling and HID levelling are totaly different and both don't even need to be on the  car !! ....
The self levelling suspension reacts far too slowly for the HIDs, which is why they have a totally seperate system.
There are several long threads about HIDS around

Ok, that's an interesting thought...

I know that the levelling shocks are separate to the HID actuators, but I just guessed that they both use the same sensors. Perhaps therein lies the answer:

If both the Self Levelling and HIDs are faulting, the only common items are the sensors, therefore more likely to be faulty sensors and not air pump or air system?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2008, 19:48:24 »

No, the sensors are also seperate.

The HIDs use one on the front passenger side wishbone and one on the passenger side rear trailing arm. The self leveling has a single sensor on the drivers side rear trailing arm near the diff.

Two totaly seperate setups.

I take it you have an error message on the mid?

What makes you think the self leveling is also faulty?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2008, 19:55:11 »

Self levelling has one sensor .. rear trailing arm, that controls the airpump.

HIDs have sensors on the front suspension and rear suspension that sends signals to the headlamp servo motors.

Totally and utterly separate !!!  

edit .. must type faster .. :(
« Last Edit: 12 March 2008, 19:56:51 by entwood »

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2008, 20:08:44 »

The HIDs use one on the front passenger side wishbone and one on the passenger side rear trailing arm. The self leveling has a single sensor on the drivers side rear trailing arm near the diff.

Thanks for that.

Definitely an error message on the CID for headlamps, which, given what you've said, could be a number of things then. When I get it back I'll check the actuators arms as per this other post on forum - Low beam field of vision fault

Self levelling suspension, simply doesn't seem to work. The last two times I've loaded it up, it sagged more than I expected. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from it? Is there a separate error message for this?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2008, 20:22:45 »

Thanks for that.

Definitely an error message on the CID for headlamps, which, given what you've said, could be a number of things then. When I get it back I'll check the actuators arms as per this other post on forum - Low beam field of vision fault

Self levelling suspension, simply doesn't seem to work. The last two times I've loaded it up, it sagged more than I expected. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from it? Is there a separate error message for this?

AFAIK this is not linked through to the display in any way. When you load up and "sag" do you hear a motor run under the front drivers side wing for about 30 secs to 1 minute ??  This is the compressor running. If it doesn't run then either sensor fail or compressor fail (or no electrics - check fuse/power supply/plugged in ??) If it runs but doesn't pump up then either a hole in the air pipes or knackered shock absorbers.  

« Last Edit: 12 March 2008, 20:23:50 by entwood »

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2008, 20:41:53 »

When you load up and "sag" do you hear a motor run under the front drivers side wing for about 30 secs to 1 minute ??  This is the compressor running. If it doesn't run then either sensor fail or compressor fail (or no electrics - check fuse/power supply/plugged in ??) If it runs but doesn't pump up then either a hole in the air pipes or knackered shock absorbers.  
Is that what that compressor does? DOH!

I'd have heard that sound, but mislead myself into thinking it was the air injection pump.

Ok, first to check when I pick it up is: does pump still run? Any clues as to which fuse to check if it doesn't?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2008, 20:53:12 »

Air injection pump is passenger side I believe, whilst suspension pump is drivers side .... both run on start up .. so it is easy to confuse the sounds ....  :(

According to Haynes -

"Automatic level Control" fuse is F15 and does many other things ... reverse lights, cruise control, sunroof, glove box light, instrument illumination

"Auto Level Control" is fuse F27
« Last Edit: 12 March 2008, 20:58:54 by entwood »

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2008, 21:33:06 »

Air injection pump is passenger side I believe, whilst suspension pump is drivers side .... both run on start up .. so it is easy to confuse the sounds ....  :(

According to Haynes -

"Automatic level Control" fuse is F15 and does many other things ... reverse lights, cruise control, sunroof, glove box light, instrument illumination

"Auto Level Control" is fuse F27
Splendid information.

Thanks entwood, I'll keep you posted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.