Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thickie question  (Read 1174 times)

devonian

• Sunny South Devon
    • View Profile
Thickie question
« on: 16 January 2008, 14:48:32 »

Hi guys

have just replaced battery in my car and noticed that a pipe at the front is split.
Its right on the front of the car near to battery compartment and seems to be leaking air.
According to the engine bay pic that The Boy posted on Tech Info it seems to say SAI valve? :-? The pie running into the valve has a massive spilt in it.
So can anyone tell me what this is please?? Does it need patching up until it gets replaced?? As you can tell I am useless when it comes to car maintenance!!

Any help for the thick one greatly accepted!
Omega 3l Elite

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Thickie question
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2008, 15:20:22 »

I'm no expert .. I'm sure one will be along shortly to correct me - but I think the SAI (secondary air injection) is relatively unimportant, its a device to get cats up to temp quicker, and is removed from later engines.

I believe it only works for a short period every start-up, and other threads have mentioned removing the motor if it gets noisy. So I wouldn't rush to fix the pipe !!  :)

From a cosmetic viewpoint, and the fact I like things to work "properly", I would look for a replacement pipe from a scrappy, but not rush out urgently ..  :)

HTH

(and I'm probably thicker than you !!!! I just read lots ! )   :)
« Last Edit: 16 January 2008, 15:22:18 by entwood »

devonian

• Sunny South Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2008, 15:23:06 »

I'm no expert .. I'm sure one will be along shortly to correct me - but I think the SAI (secondary air injection) is relatively unimportant, its a device to get cats up to temp quicker, and is removed from later engines.

I believe it only works for a short period every start-up, and other treads have mentioned removing the motor if it gets noisy. So I wouldn't rush to fix the pipe !!  :)

From a cosmetic viewpoint, and the fact I like things to work "properly", I would look for a replacement pipe from a scrappy, but not rush out urgently ..  :)

HTH

Thanks thats all I needed to know! At least I know I am able to get the car on the road and driving. :)

« Last Edit: 16 January 2008, 15:23:53 by devonian »
Omega 3l Elite

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2008, 17:18:18 »

nonconstructive banter removed [smiley=thumbdown.gif]
« Last Edit: 16 January 2008, 17:19:52 by Mark »

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2008, 17:22:34 »

I believe it only works for a short period every start-up, and other treads have mentioned removing the motor if it gets noisy. So I wouldn't rush to fix the pipe !!  :)

HTH

Thanks thats all I needed to know! At least I know I am able to get the car on the road and driving. :)

Where abouts in south devon are you?

If you are near Plymouth and would like someone to confirm i would happy to have a looky for you.

devonian

• Sunny South Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2008, 19:06:34 »

Hi Sir Jay am 20 miles from Plymouth in town called Kingsbridge....

Dont suppose you any good at breathers and rocker cover gaskets?? Mine need doing and am in process of looking for local garage to do the work, but am worried about getting it done right.

(Yes I should have a go myself, but lack of time and relevant tools, stops me... :()
Omega 3l Elite

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2008, 22:23:09 »

Hi Sir Jay am 20 miles from Plymouth in town called Kingsbridge....

Dont suppose you any good at breathers and rocker cover gaskets?? Mine need doing and am in process of looking for local garage to do the work, but am worried about getting it done right.

(Yes I should have a go myself, but lack of time and relevant tools, stops me... :()

I know the area well  :y

Breathers and rocker covers i have done in the past, at the same time i do an oil and filter change as the crud from the breathers gets in the oil

My biggest issue is i am only home on the weekends  :-[

i know of a garage in Saltash who are excellent, and do curtousy cars as well, he uses genuine parts on jobs like these as he knows that not doing so will mean the rockers will be leaking soon, he is the only person i trust to work on my car.

I can PM you his details if you want
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.