Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 2.5 or 3.2?  (Read 2049 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: V6 2.5 or 3.2?
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2007, 22:16:51 »

My 3.0 manual gets just over 26 MPG average overall, with a mix of town and motorway, and I drive it quite hard. 30 MPG should be achievable driving like a pussycat ;)
My auto gets 25mpg.  And I'm no pussycat.  So how poor is a modern, well matched, auto?

;D

Very :P The fuel economy is the least of its disadvantages, in fact my fuel economy would probably get proportionately even worse with a slushy as I'd constantly have the gas pedal on the floor rather than just 80% of the time to make up for the power being wasted heating the transmission oil ;D
I suspect I drive mine every bit as hard as yours, possibly moreso.

The software update on petrol boxes is hugely beneficial, and the loss in the TC is much less.

As for the boring old manual v auto, when I was your age, I was exactly the same. Years being the only techie in the region have made me want an auto:

I used to support MS-Mail back in the mid nineties.  I was the only the only mobile techie covering East Anglia, across to just south of Brum, down to Aldershot, and North and West London (plus a few oddities like Docklands, and Stone in Staffordshire).  It was nothing to be out in Norwich, and my boss to call that Aldershot needed a vist. The only way to get round these sites (bearing in mind that the top speed of the 1.8 diesel Fiesta was about 100/105 with the kit I carried) was to lauch start every time, crash the box, and generally scream the nuts off it.  It was frequently driving at 100% for extended periods.  I was young, and was happy to do it.

The grief/'stress' of doing that, day in, day out, was pretty immense. The van took a hammering - brakes usually every 10k, clutch about 30k, gearbox about the same as clutch.

One day, due to a disagreement with my boss, I decided to work to rule.  Stick to speed limit, take break after 2hrs. He went potty, but nought he could do ;D.  Anyway, I got help after that from a guy in Colchester (95m from where I lived), so we used to meet up in morning somewhere, then take one van and share driving. Much easier.

Those early days in MS-Mail support was enough to finally finish off my driving 'desire' (I had a job as a service engr previous to that).  And driving through London virtually daily has made manuals bloody annoying when in traffic.  I rarely get 'enjoyment' through driving like I did when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, I do not drive like grandad, but it purely is a A to B think for me now.  The 'enthusism' of my drive is directly related to how early/late I am.

I hope that explains why I prefer auto with a big effortless V6. It is predictable, and I never shout at the gearbox.  The tractor/auto combo is bloody annoying, and I do end up shouting at it.  If I was to get another 2.5TD, it would have to be a manual, but as the V6 is matched well to the autobox (with v9 auto firmware) I am happy to stick with that.
Grumpy old man

SparticusMK2

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2007, 17:03:18 »

Good Afternoon, Many thanks for all you views!!! :y

What did I choose between a V6 2.5 or 3.2?

Well as luck would have it I decided to look around again and found a OMEGA ELITE V6 3litre and it's a manual!!! on a W-reg with only 88,000miles & with a full service history (Which the last service was in July 2007).

Any guesses on how much? ;)
"Chance favours a prepaired wallet!"

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 October 2007, 17:10:21 »

Good Afternoon, Many thanks for all you views!!! :y

What did I choose between a V6 2.5 or 3.2?

Well as luck would have it I decided to look around again and found a OMEGA ELITE V6 3litre and it's a manual!!! on a W-reg with only 88,000miles & with a full service history (Which the last service was in July 2007).

Any guesses on how much? ;)

Sounds good. :y :y Depending on the condition, possibly between £2.5k - £3.5k but just guessing. :P

I've had a 2.5 and 3.2 Estate and they're both very good engines however, you always pay for extra power - the 3.2 was noticeably much more powerful but equally much more thirsty.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

garyv6

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2007, 22:14:33 »

hey whats a slushy gearbox then??? has my car got one of these?? ;D

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2007, 22:18:00 »

from the looks of things - yes it has ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2007, 22:19:09 »

hey whats a slushy gearbox then??? has my car got one of these?? ;D

Gary .. some unfortunate, miss-guided individuals do not have the pleasure and experience of driving a well balanced, responsive, and sophisticated automatic... they, in their ignorance of the finer things of motoring, have a tendency to refer to such wonders of technology as "slush boxes" or "slushomatics".

It is to be hoped that no ill feelings are expressed against such individuals, as it is usually not their fault, I personally blame the government for failing to educate the lower masses correctly.

:)

garyv6

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2007, 23:00:20 »

well said mate ;D my opinion is exactly the same! i have had lots of great newer manual cars in the past but for me the v6 auto omega is the best car ive driven! even though shes pretty old! :y

SparticusMK2

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2007, 11:11:09 »

I must admit untill a year ago I thought Autos were for the "Older" generation. ::)
That was untill I bought a Rover 820SLi 2.0l Auto, there was two reasons for buying such a vehicle
1. Eventhough it had been sitting on a driveway for 3 years, The leather interior was immaculate!
2. It cost £60  ;)

Now after nearly a year of comfortable driving I have grown to like it!
But I am happy to go back to a manual especially a 3.0litre  8-)
"Chance favours a prepaired wallet!"

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 November 2007, 11:54:21 »

I must admit untill a year ago I thought Autos were for the "Older" generation. ::)
Now after nearly a year of comfortable driving I have grown to like it!  

Shhhh! You'll start Paul M off again!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :y
« Last Edit: 01 November 2007, 11:55:02 by Andy_B »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.