Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake squeal  (Read 1808 times)

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
Re: Brake squeal
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2007, 09:16:48 »

Im fairly certain the GLS still has a sensor.....except it doesnt tell you on the mid (coz there isnt one)
Theres a warning light for the pads below the clock/radio display.
To be fair to the mechanic, apparently there was one there anyway which was broken... I wonder if anyone with a TID has seen a brake warning light below it?
Also, if I were to go back and ask if the pads were chamfered, are they likely to know what I'm on about? Cos I don't!
« Last Edit: 14 September 2007, 09:19:58 by Mambafia »

puffa

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2007, 09:59:37 »

chamfering is where the leading edge of the pad ( PArt that touches disk first) is at a 45 degree angle to the rest of the pad face thus eliminating the anoying squeal, and yes if the mechanic is worth his wegiht he should know what your talking about. the ones my mechanic fitted last month on my meggy were not chamfered (Cheap pads), the ones he changed them to were chamfered and squeal was gone..
Previously owned 2.5 v6 Reflection

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2007, 12:10:12 »

Ok thanks, so do some cars/discs need their pads chamfering and some don't then?  :-?

puffa

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2007, 12:47:28 »

it has alot to do with the quality of the pads, if you buy cheap you get cheap i always use ferodo pads and disks when i do DIY changes and never have sqeuals and i dont use dreaded copper grease, garages will use patened parts at a cost that is favourable to not only them but also seems good on your wallet.. for example ferodo pads and disk on my 3.2 meggy £150 for the disk and pads and thats with 10% discount for buying both at the same time  !!!! thats not including the labour that a garage might charge.
Previously owned 2.5 v6 Reflection

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2007, 21:08:39 »

....... for example ferodo pads and disk on my 3.2 meggy £150 for the disk and pads and thats with 10% discount for buying both at the same time  !!!! thats not including the labour that a garage might charge.

Gen VX front axle kit (discs and pads) is £96 retail, £69.60 Trade Club, both plus VAT.  Also never had a problem with these OE sqealing, warping or failing to stop the car.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2007, 21:24:31 »

....... for example ferodo pads and disk on my 3.2 meggy £150 for the disk and pads and thats with 10% discount for buying both at the same time  !!!! thats not including the labour that a garage might charge.

Gen VX front axle kit (discs and pads) is £96 retail, £69.60 Trade Club, both plus VAT.  Also never had a problem with these OE sqealing, warping or failing to stop the car.....

I have gen pads and disks on mine....and they squeak a bit...not all the time...usually when hot..MDTM...thinks ive worn down the shamper and they need filing a bit....i havent tried doing this yet.... :-[
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.