Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbones / MOT  (Read 2152 times)

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
Wishbones / MOT
« on: 10 March 2007, 16:56:08 »

Guys,
Put new VSC supplied wishbones on today, very nice quality and perfect alignment with bush holes.. even a hole for headlamp sensor.. a doddle to do apart from a stubborn b*****d bolt, adjusted the handbrake shoes and MOT's  engine burning cleaner with Shell super in, as opposed to last year on 95 ron Tesco dreggs...

A word of warning for alloy wheel owners, my rear wheels were seized on the discs, levered & whacked 'em off, plenty of copper slip on the mating faces prior to putting the wheels back on..

Jobs a good 'un, cambelt next, I'll watch Marks dvd for the 932nd time, "Nice shorts Mark!"

MOT passed..  :) :) :) :) :)

DC
Do it right, do it once................

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
Re: Wishbones / MOT
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2007, 18:06:00 »

Guys,
Put new VSC supplied wishbones on today, very nice quality and perfect alignment with bush holes.. even a hole for headlamp sensor.. a doddle to do apart from a stubborn b*****d bolt, adjusted the handbrake shoes and MOT's  engine burning cleaner with Shell super in, as opposed to last year on 95 ron Tesco dreggs...

A word of warning for alloy wheel owners, my rear wheels were seized on the discs, levered & whacked 'em off, plenty of copper slip on the mating faces prior to putting the wheels back on..

Jobs a good 'un, cambelt next, I'll watch Marks dvd for the 932nd time, "Nice shorts Mark!"

MOT passed..  :) :) :) :) :)

DC

Well done Dave, wishbones aren't as bad as people think, hope you did final tighten with the wheels on the ground, unlike me, who ended up doing the job again after 3,000 miles :-[ Always nice when you accomplish something yourself, and think of the cash you stopped from getting into Vauxhalls pocket!  :y :y

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2007, 18:52:46 »

Yeah! On the ground, hadn't got 2 x 75k for each front seat as per TIS, so I got my son to sit on the bonnet whilst I went in the pit and torqued 'em up..

DC :-*

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2007, 21:41:29 »

hope you did final tighten with the wheels on the ground, unlike me, who ended up doing the job again after 3,000 miles :-[  .......

I think that's my problem. I bought GM wishbones  :o a little over a year ago, but had someone else fit 'em for me, but the front of my car knocks like f*** on every little bump in the road.

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2007, 21:53:22 »

Just in case I left my son sitting on the bonnet, don't people look at you strangly when you drive through town with a kid on your car?  :o  Seriously though, it's crucial to get weight on the front when torquing up, they're just gonna rip if you don't.. expensive! VSC £55 a pair, trust me the quality is brill!  Markdtm, also recomends them.

DC

rands100

• Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2007, 23:42:53 »

Im going to change the wishbones on my 3.0 elite tomorrow, I think in the manual it says make sure its level when tightening? Whats this about putting weight on the front? The previous owner only changed them a few thousand miles ago but the rubbers are wrecked already so I guess he tightened them up while still up on the jack?
Richard

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2007, 23:55:28 »

Yeah! On the ground, hadn't got 2 x 75k for each front seat as per TIS, so I got my son to sit on the bonnet whilst I went in the pit and torqued 'em up..

Can someone confirm this pls, the guide doesn't say anything about putting it back on the floor before torque-ing up the bolts!!  Does it need updating?
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2007, 05:57:27 »

Can someone confirm this pls, the guide doesn't say anything about putting it back on the floor before torque-ing up the bolts!!  Does it need updating?

You must always tighten up the bolts with the car on the ground and some weight on the front, roughly equivelant to an eleven stone person in each front seat. If you don't do this the rubber bushes are constantly under excess pressure and will wear out in a very short time.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2007, 07:57:41 »

You must always tighten up the bolts with the car on the ground and some weight on the front, roughly equivelant to an eleven stone person in each front seat. If you don't do this the rubber bushes are constantly under excess pressure and will wear out in a very short time.
So if you put in lowering springs you should loosen and retighten the wishbones?
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2007, 08:02:35 »

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday whilst doing my wishbones, lets face it it's only 2 x 21mm spanners to slacken and re-torque 'em up...  Incidently, I found that a standard spark plug spanner is equivelant to a long 21mm socket, very useful..

DC

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2007, 11:06:17 »

So if you put in lowering springs you should loosen and retighten the wishbones?

Shouldn't think so, you are lowering the body to the wishbones not raising the wishbones up to the body, if you get my drift. The wishbones should keep the same angle in relation to the road.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2007, 11:07:15 by philayl »

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2007, 16:10:59 »

I don't have a pit, and REALLY don't want to be doing them again 4k miles! (had enough of doing the same thing more than once lately ;) ) how about I get on axle stands at the lowes level, take the wheel off and then use my trolley jack at the front of the wishbone to jack it up and put pressure on it, then tighten them further?

Incidentally, what are the torque values if anyone has them to hand would be great?

Cheers
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

MBConfuse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2007, 19:29:25 »

Perhaps one of you guys could help me.......

I've just changed the front suspension wishbones on my 98 omega. When i took it for a tentative test drive i found that when the wheels were turned they would scrape on the back of the wheel arches or mud flaps.

This suggests that I've managed to sit the car lower than usual. Somehow!

Any ideas as to what i may have done wrong?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2007, 19:40:01 »

Perhaps one of you guys could help me.......

I've just changed the front suspension wishbones on my 98 omega. When i took it for a tentative test drive i found that when the wheels were turned they would scrape on the back of the wheel arches or mud flaps.

This suggests that I've managed to sit the car lower than usual. Somehow!

Any ideas as to what i may have done wrong?
Sounds like the wheels are too far back?  Were the wishbones correct? No damage to subframe?
Grumpy old man

MBConfuse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2007, 19:52:13 »

Wishbones supplied by autovaux, and looked exactly the same as the ones i took off.

I don't think there is any damage to the sub frame, it would have to have occurred whilst i was doing the swap, because there was no scraping before.

Do you think that the old wishbones could have been tightened in the wrong position causing the suspension to ride high?  Still wouldn't explain why its too low now tho i suppose.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.