Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 1816 times)

Mo12345

• View Profile
Headlights
« on: 24 January 2007, 21:49:20 »

Hiya ppl. Im new to the omega owners club. I havent bought an omega yet but im looking to buy one this week. Im a little stuck because I have seen two omegas, one has xenons and the other doesnt. All i wanted to know is if i was to replace the original (non-projector style) headlights with xenon headlights off another omega, what would I have to do in terms of wiring and how much am I looking to pay to do the wiring and necessary work. Cheers. Id be very grateful for you help.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2007, 21:55:23 »

There are actualy three types of headlights.

Standard reflectors which were fitted up until 1998 (when the mini facelift appeared)

Projector headlights (standard from 1998) which still use Halogen bulbs

HIDs (somtimes called xenons) which were standard on MV6 and Elite from 1998 until the facelift appeared (approx 2000) when they also became standard on CDx

The HID's and Projectors look the same from the outside but, the HIDs have self leveling, washers and no height adjustment dial on the headlight switch (plus a dirty great power pack under the headlight!)

Upgrading to HID's is not easy....

Upgrading reflectors to projectors is a piece of piss, just plug and play. We recomend fitting good +50 bulbs (Osram Silver stars or similar) and its also worth considering running a nice new fat earth to the main earth point under the battery .

If your realy set on HID's, then consider fitting projectors and searching ebay for Bosch HID......beware, htere is a risk of an MOt station failing the car due to no self leveling or washers though (unlikely in reality)
« Last Edit: 25 January 2007, 08:14:28 by Mark »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2007, 21:59:24 »

HIDs (somtimes called xenons) which were standard on MV6 and Elite until the facelift appeared when they also became standard on Cdx
Just to clarify Marks_DTM's post - HIDs were standard on post minifacelift (98 on) MV6 and Elites. All pre minifacelift (ie pre 98 cars) had the very poor reflectors....
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2007, 23:34:51 »

...to complicate matters further, the HIDs on the mini-facelift and those on the facelift are not the same - so the donor car must be the same 'type' (e.g. 'facelift' or 'mini-facelift') as the recipient car...
Alas, no more Omegas....

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2007, 00:11:53 »

Sorry to confuse the issue TB, but my last Omega, an ex police '98 Elite - son of Frankenstein though it was - did not have HID lamps!

The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2007, 00:20:54 »

Sorry to confuse the issue TB, but my last Omega, an ex police '98 Elite - son of Frankenstein though it was - did not have HID lamps!

Many ex-plod were DVLA-listed as 'Elite', probably for lack of a proper designation as many had features-to-order. I bet that HID is not the only bit missing from your Elite... did it have rear leccy sun blind, leather, Carin SatNav, Sunroof, full-leccy seats with memory, self-levelling suspension.... all standard on a 98 elite?

« Last Edit: 25 January 2007, 15:22:44 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2007, 15:15:32 »

That explains a lot, about the only options it did have was the trip computer, and alarm system. Funnily enough, my MV6 (just as basic) does have the HID and self leveling suspension.
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2007, 18:32:26 »

Was it a mini facelift? Sounds more like a earlier car (esp as it says Elite on logbook). Not unknown for plod to buy a few but not register straight away...
Grumpy old man

Mo12345

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2007, 00:23:44 »

Cheers guys, I appreciate all the help that you have given. I have just bought an omega today. 1995 N-reg Omega 3.0 V6 Elite Auto.  :). Amazing cars to drive, i love it, not the petrol tho. Big juicy cars but what do you expect from a 3-litre eh?

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2007, 07:52:22 »

Congratulations, "Happynewmeega" Sound great, as the rest of the guys on here will say, 18 -24 or V slightly higher Extra Urban, depending on how you drive!  That's what I get locally, last summer though, on a good run up to North Scotland from the Midlands and around and about whilst up there I got an average of 28 mpg, with a roofbox on and fully loaded..  not hanging around either. The best I've ever had though, all motorway work is 32.8 mpg driving like a grandad 56mph..

Best Wishes Dave C
Do it right, do it once................

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2007, 09:46:27 »

An N reg elite, good choice, I have an estate version of one of them (along with an S reg MV6 manual).

Now there are various little (and not so) jobs that will ensure you get the best "economy" from your car.

Depending on how mechanically minded you are, these will all help.

To start with. When was the cambelt kit last changed. Only accept a receipt or purchase from of our senior members as proof! :)
As you doubtless know by now, 40k/4years. Look for a water pump on the bill too.

Give the car a good service!
Oil (10w/40 semi synth or better) and filter. Air filter, fuel filter (often overlooked and can make huge difference!)
Spark plugs.

Pollen filter. At the base of the windscreen on the passenger side is a little flap in the scuttle. Lift this up and under there "should" be a filter. This also "should be white! If it is actually there, I suspect it will be a rather darker colour!
Also check down in the area below. There is a drainage hole down there. If there is water, then the hole is blocked and needs clearing (yuk).

Coolant flush and change with 50/50 mix

Clean the breathers. This is easy. Leaking cam covers (pull a spark plug lead if is it soaked in oil?), a common issue, are caused by blocked breathers.

Once these are done, you will be most of the way to ensuring your car is running superbly.
The Administrator.

wombatcurry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2007, 10:05:34 »

Just to hijack the thread slightly....

Did someone mention that they had been sold some LHD projectors a while ago?
If you've still got them - I COULD be interested! ;D

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2007, 21:58:24 »

ok, im looking at adding projectors to mine too. but noticed a slight difference....

my car has 2 H1 bulbs per side (one dipped, one main)
however all the projectors i have seen so far need one H1 for dipped and one H7 for the main beam  :-/

so how exactly does the main beam bulb get wired in? is it just a case of adding an earth to the other connection on the bulb?

see, auto electrician for 3yrs, and still things stump ya lol  ;D

rob
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2007, 23:52:33 »

ok, im looking at adding projectors to mine too. but noticed a slight difference....

my car has 2 H1 bulbs per side (one dipped, one main)
however all the projectors i have seen so far need one H1 for dipped and one H7 for the main beam  :-/

so how exactly does the main beam bulb get wired in? is it just a case of adding an earth to the other connection on the bulb?

see, auto electrician for 3yrs, and still things stump ya lol  ;D

rob
You dont have to change any wiring, the whole light unit plugs into the car wiring loom, the wiring to individual bulbs is internal to the lamp unit.

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2007, 02:37:34 »

:-[ oops yeah, i kinda forgot about that bit. shows what 2 18hr shifts in a row can do to ya  ;D
cheers for giving me that gentle prod there matchless  :y

rob
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.