Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could it be a dodgy MAF afterall?  (Read 1116 times)

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Could it be a dodgy MAF afterall?
« on: 10 December 2006, 12:23:37 »

The saga continues...

Breather system cleaned out, inc little semi clear tube and tiny hole in throttle body.  Emissions light still on.

But idle speed still not dropping quickly enough as if butterfly is sticking.  So today I recleaned the little hole and tube, it slid off to easily for my liking so I chopped off 5mm to get a tighter fit.  I've tightened the torx bolts on the throttle housing and given the butterfly a squirt with WD40 for good measure.  I took off the air intake and gave it short bursts with carb cleaner and put it all back together again.

Throttle much more responsive as settling back to 700 rpm (engine cold) but then I noticed I'd not connected up the MAF switch - plugged it back in and throttle now back to very slow operation again. Emissions light still on.  Tech2 reported MAF fault previously.  I've also checked all the hoses and bellows for splits and can't find anything.

So could it be the MAF afterall?  I'm off to give it a run now so take your time. Cheers
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Could it be a dodgy MAF afterall?
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2006, 14:46:51 »

I would clean the contacts on the MAF with contact cleaner, and also give the MAF a squirt of carb cleaner.
I like red cars

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2006, 14:56:12 »

I've got a question that I've been longing to ask but always felt that I'm being a bit of a plonker in not knowing - so here goes.

WD40 seems to be used a lot as a lubricant when it's a water dispursant and I've always been told most of it evaporates and it just leaves a waxy deposit. Is it actually good as a lubricant or would a light oil spray be better?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2006, 15:01:07 »

I use 3:1 on the throttle body butterfly.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2006, 15:01:23 by Auto_Addict »
I like red cars

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2006, 15:03:45 »

I dont consider WD40 to be a lubricant at all.....

As for the MAF....foaming keyboard cleaner is the stuff.....don't use carb cleaner, it might damage the hot film element.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2006, 15:59:37 »

Whoooops!
I like red cars

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2006, 17:11:29 »

AA - I used 3:1 on the butterfly after following your guide and had awfully high idle running at 12-1500 rpm afterwards.  This is ok now but wont drop below 1000 until speedo hits 0.  I had the WD out to help with the MAF contacts on the plug and just thought it wouldn't harm.

Mark's DTM - Carb can says its safe for MAF and to squirt into air intake - I did this with a cold engine to prevent damage to a hot element but what do you suggest I clean the foam clean off with? Owt or nowt?

The test run - car running as normal as ever but MPG drastically low at 75mph - 27 mpg on the M6 with cruise on and full of BP Ultimate. Which shouts air leak?

20 miles and 3 hours at my kids christmas party later and it now runs a very respectable 34 mpg on the way back (uphill!) so maybe I've done something right afterall.

Next job is to replace the semi clear tube - does it have a real name - throttle body escape hose or something? and see if that helps.

Final question then is - Will the emissions light clear if and when the fault is cleared or does it need reset.  I've noticed a 2.2 in local Vx and may be able to borrow the MAF for 5 mins to eliminate it altogether.

And would you believe I had to key all this twice cos I pressed the wrong button - what hope is there  for me? :-/
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2006, 18:32:43 »

EML should go out once ECU is happy, though code will remain stored for a certain period of time...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.