Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where did you get your car knowleage from?  (Read 5272 times)

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you get your car knowleage from?
« Reply #30 on: 21 August 2007, 13:30:51 »

My knowledge is entirely self taught..... and god that bulb was a bugger to change ;)

Since then I have developed the skill (thanks to Mark DTM and Theboy) to change the cambelt on a V6, trouble is, that is the extent of it, and I don't have a meega anymore :'(

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 August 2007, 13:35:55 »

Err, I haven't got any  ::)

nor have i  :-[

Trying to start learning now :o with my omega, and the help of this Forum
Likewise  :-?
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 August 2007, 17:27:41 »

Err, I haven't got any  ::)

Ermmm.........me neither :-[ :-[

Used to tinker around with some of my first cars from teenage days when cars were quite simple with points and ditributors etc. Then had a company car for about 20 years whereby all the servicing and repairs was taken care of. After that I went back to owning my own car again and it was like someone had stuck a foreign object under the bonnet!! ::)
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 August 2007, 17:42:19 »

Built two cars from the ground up (see left ) gave me confidence, made me realise that with the right tools/advice and patience, nothing is impossible, everything is do-able   :y
The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 August 2007, 17:50:10 »

My dad started to teach me, then went to college on a city and guilds course for two years then helped it along with self taught. The only way to get taught is by the one who wants to know, and thats YOURSELF! Asking for advise, getting help and reading books is the best way.
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 August 2007, 18:26:19 »

As a teenager we all had cars/motorbikes - often MOT type failures. We lived in the wilds of one of North Yorkshire's forests.

A combination of no money and an interest soon led to learning how to fix things.

e.g.I had a Ford Pop which, in the absence of money to make the engine more powerful, was lightened progressively (often by AXE) till it just had two seats and a windscreen. Nothing much else behind that other than a floor pan. traction on dirt roads was improved by wrapping chains or rope through the holes in the rear wheels and round the tyres. It was the only car I have ever driven where you could select reverse whilst travelling along whithout the transmission disintegrating.

I had a huge selection of bangers including Sunbeam Talbot 90, Westminster, Zodiac and all types of motorbikes British. Oh to still own some of them now (except the Hillman Imp)

then I moved onto Rallying as a simple progression from watching the Gulf London and later the RAC. Remember that when the events went on competitively for days. None of todays "sprint events" and sleeping in hotels!! Building and maintaining cars was a prerequisite as I only had a small fortune to spend. If two hands built it then I could repair it and possibly make it better at the same time was my motto.

then there was a huge period of time with the luxury of company cars. Ah the sheer luxury.

then We bought this Omega for SWMBO as her company car. Garage maintained. Then we decided that there must be more to life than 8 till midnight plus weekends so just jacked it all in and moved to Spain for a different lifestyle (and Boy isn't it different). Money is tight now, time slightly but not overly plentiful so back to maintenance. What a change in technology and electronics in particular - Wot no distributor points!!

Wouldn't have the courage, without help from guys on this forum, to do ANY jobs on the car as it is our lifeline, tractor and ambulance if required from our remote location.

olive        
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 August 2007, 19:32:45 »

I forgot to mention above. Logging on here at every possible opportunity has ignited my desire to do more and more on the car so I have booked myself six months evening classes at the local college on a car maintenance class. I really need to get some oil on all my new tools.  :y
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 August 2007, 20:00:50 »

I forgot to mention above. Logging on here at every possible opportunity has ignited my desire to do more and more on the car so I have booked myself six months evening classes at the local college on a car maintenance class. I really need to get some oil on all my new tools.  :y

Thats a good idea, but it`s not all school banks and chalking boards is it?

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 August 2007, 20:08:57 »

I'm hoping that it's next to the hair and beauty classes, they always have nice birds on those courses, and I'm looking forward to smoking behind the bike sheds again.  ;D ;D ;D

In all seriousness, I don't really know what to expect, it was only £90 for the six months at three hours per week so I can't really go wrong. :)

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 August 2007, 20:13:17 »

I'm hoping that it's next to the hair and beauty classes, they always have nice birds on those courses, and I'm looking forward to smoking behind the bike sheds again.  ;D ;D ;D

In all seriousness, I don't really know what to expect, it was only £90 for the six months at three hours per week so I can't really go wrong. :)

Sounds like the sort of thing i need,  :y :y

Talking about behind the sheds have you read this:::

Two OAP walking down the road, she says to him "do you remember when we first met 50 years ago  

what we got up to behind the sheds" he replys "yeah it was great" she says lets go and do it again,

so they go around to the back of the sheds, he drops his kegs she her knickers, and away they go the

old man is moving as if it is going out of fashion non stop for over an Hour, before they both fall on the

floor with exhaustion, she turns to him and say god allmighty you didn`t shag me like that 50 years  

ago, where as he then replies THATS BECAUSE THERE WAS NO rather ELECTRIC FENCE HERE 50

YEARS AGO  

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 August 2007, 20:15:06 »

i have a vast knowledge of all kinds of motor vehicles thanks to reading the haynes workshop manuals i find them very informative and NEVER wrong. infact i have just saved enough juice bottles to get the one all about sex.. :-*

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 August 2007, 20:17:38 »

Sounds like the sort of thing i need,  :y :y

Talking about behind the sheds have you read this:::

Two OAP walking down the road, she says to him "do you remember when we first met 50 years ago  

what we got up to behind the sheds" he replys "yeah it was great" she says lets go and do it again,

so they go around to the back of the sheds, he drops his kegs she her knickers, and away they go the

old man is moving as if it is going out of fashion non stop for over an Hour, before they both fall on the

floor with exhaustion, she turns to him and say god allmighty you didn`t shag me like that 50 years  

ago, where as he then replies THATS BECAUSE THERE WAS NO rather ELECTRIC FENCE HERE 50

YEARS AGO  

;D ;D ;D ;D

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 August 2007, 21:02:34 »

my vehicle knowledge was 19-24years old tinkering with my cars 24-31 learnt in the forces 31-35 improved in a bus garage then a hgv workshop. gave it all up then cos i kept getting too many injuries and smelt of oil all the time. retrained in electrics and appliances and a lot cleaner now!!!!
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 August 2007, 23:02:30 »

My mechanical knowledge came from a numer of sources.....

14-16 it was tinkering and servicing the old mans cars, MG Maestros, VW scirocco, MG Metro Turbo, and a couple of Cavaliers and a viva!!!

16-25 i worked for a Vauxhall dealers in the workshops, i did a YTS scheme and came out with my C&G, however i have learnt more about 'engineering' since then as all we were was glorified new parts fitters....

25-now Messing round with cars, i have rebuilt a Mk2 cavalier convertible and modified it by lobbing a V6 lump in it, that was after it had been run for 6 months with an XE in it.
I have rebuilt a 1275GT and created a couple of sleepers as well, i love the whole concept of getting an engine to fit in a car that was never designed to have it.
Next project will be a clubman mini with a Vauxhall V6, i know it has been done before, i would like to have a go and see what it would be like.
Currently helping a friend lob a scooby engine into a split screen camper!!  :o it will be a riot when it is finished

I dont think i will ever stop learning moreso because i have such an interest in cars, my daughter seems to be following in my footsteps and i am not sure how i feel about that as the trade has changed sooooo much....and not for the better  >:(

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22 August 2007, 07:20:50 »

I was weened on Vauxhalls by my dad back in the 50's, 60's and 70' Austins, Fords, Standards, Hillmans, Riley's, Triumphs, Morris etc.

Mid 70's I had company cars, did nothing till last year, then I found this mob. Never looked back since ;D
I like red cars
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.