Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3465948 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #26535 on: 15 July 2024, 16:20:53 »

And presumably it's the bracket that determines the position rather than the sensor ::)
Eh?
Front left/front right/rear... All same sensor but different bracket to suit location. ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26536 on: 15 July 2024, 17:43:13 »

Incidentally, is it a Ford part? :-\
Hard to tell, as JLR only sell with bracket, and thus their PN is with the unique bracket.  Mine had minimal markings left, but looking at images on google for engineering numbers, it starts AW93, thus originally (from a JLR point of view) for a 2010 XJ....
AW933C280BC to Vin ending V07103
AW933C280BD V07104 to V39426
8W833C279BE after V39427

The bracket is not part of the sensor (sold separately)
It was when I was on EPC last week, using my VIN.  User error not withstanding, obviously!

As I understood, AW93 3C280 XX was right side, AW93 3C279 XX was left side

Maybe the VIN filtering setting was half cocked when checked.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26537 on: 15 July 2024, 17:49:08 »

And presumably it's the bracket that determines the position rather than the sensor ::)
Eh?
Front left/front right/rear... All same sensor but different bracket to suit location. ;)
Yes, very likely, but the engineering numbers (on the actual sensor) looked different, although that could be an oddity with EPC and my VIN going by DTM's reply above.

Unclear how easy it would be to remove from bracket, as in amongst the heavy corrosion on my screws, there were signs of thread lock.  The thread is a cylindrical brass insert in the plastic of the sensor, so reliant on thread lock breaking before the insert spins in the plastic.  And heat wouldn't be an option.  At £160, bit pricey to take a punt, so you'd get the right one, even though its considerably more expensive than the other side.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26538 on: 15 July 2024, 23:35:26 »

Eh?
Yes, very likely, but the engineering numbers (on the actual sensor) looked different, although that could be an oddity with EPC and my VIN going by DTM's reply above.

Unclear how easy it would be to remove from bracket, as in amongst the heavy corrosion on my screws, there were signs of thread lock.  The thread is a cylindrical brass insert in the plastic of the sensor, so reliant on thread lock breaking before the insert spins in the plastic.  And heat wouldn't be an option.  At £160, bit pricey to take a punt, so you'd get the right one, even though its considerably more expensive than the other side.
If they are on the CAN bus it might be coded differently. Pointless but who knows what the designers were smoking?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26539 on: 16 July 2024, 09:22:14 »

It won't be on CAN, the most it would be for that sensor type (low and slow data rate) would be LIN, but its actually just hard wired analogue to the controller. CAN needs a stack, and therefore an OS, bigger processor etc etc, so cost generally keeps it away from sensors (Radar units and the like being an exception).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26540 on: 16 July 2024, 09:25:43 »

It won't be on CAN, the most it would be for that sensor type (low and slow data rate) would be LIN, but its actually just hard wired analogue to the controller. CAN needs a stack, and therefore an OS, bigger processor etc etc, so cost generally keeps it away from sensors (Radar units and the like being an exception).
And in the case of the x351, each sensor has 2 sensors in according to the system description, for 2 different purposes.

I'm surprised that there isn't just one sensor per corner, and the controller make that available to everything via CAN?
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26541 on: 16 July 2024, 11:58:23 »

And in the case of the x351, each sensor has 2 sensors in according to the system description, for 2 different purposes.

I'm surprised that there isn't just one sensor per corner, and the controller make that available to everything via CAN?
Which is how it is on the Proper Car...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26542 on: 16 July 2024, 16:28:44 »

The sensors are individual, the usual height hall effect type sensor with a ball joint connection and then, if its got the active dampers, there are the accelerometers front and rear.

The Topix description is badly worded, reality is the sensor is the classic hall effect position sensor system with an analogue output. The controller then uses the position for the air setup, the signal is then differentiated to get the rate of change, this can then be used for the active shocks.

Its all controlled directly from the ADM and if any signals need to be obtained from elsewhere, or passed to other controllers, its then over CAN via the GWM (so the likes of steering input etc): modes are:

• Body Control – Uses body vertical accelerometer and CAN inputs. Calculates road induced body motions 100 times a second and sets each damper to the appropriate level to maintain a flat and level body attitude. Provides improved body control without loss of ride quality.
  • Roll Rate Control – Uses CAN inputs. Predicts vehicle roll rate due to driver steering inputs 100 times a second and increases damping to reduce roll rate. Provides improved control and driver confidence.
  • Pitch Rate Control – Uses CAN inputs. Predicts vehicle pitch rate due to driver throttle and braking inputs 100 times a second and increases damping to reduce pitch rate. Provides improved control and driver confidence.
  • Bump Rebound Control – Uses suspension height sensor and CAN inputs. Monitors the position of the wheel 500 times a second and increases the damping rate as the damper approaches the end of its travel. Provides improved ride quality.
  • Wheel Hop Control – Uses suspension height sensor and CAN inputs. Monitors the position of the wheel 500 times a second and detects when the wheel is at its natural frequency and increases the damping. Provides improved ride quality.

« Last Edit: 16 July 2024, 16:50:03 by Marks DTM Calib »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26543 on: 16 July 2024, 17:41:58 »

Live data for front left has 2 sets of figures, both voltages and calculated height, for both RLM and for ADM.

With the cheap sensor, these are showing crap readings. All over the place, and implausible with each other.  With the original, now destroyed, sensor, one reading was valid, other was 0V
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26544 on: 17 July 2024, 08:01:47 »

Live data for front left has 2 sets of figures, both voltages and calculated height, for both RLM and for ADM.

With the cheap sensor, these are showing crap readings. All over the place, and implausible with each other.  With the original, now destroyed, sensor, one reading was valid, other was 0V

Live data will be showing the voltage the ECU sees on the ADC pin (so the voltage) and then a set of calculated values which, in theory, are more understandable by the spanner monkeys.

If I get chance I will check the wiring diagrams to see if the pinouts changed on the sensors at any point (as they did on the Omega V6 throttle pots)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Yaris Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #26545 on: 17 July 2024, 18:37:14 »

Got the Subaru ready to be serviced tomorrow, we've noticed a whine from the rear has recently started so getting that checked out as well, if it's a major job it's going as SWMBO fancies a Yaris Cross.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26546 on: 17 July 2024, 18:54:51 »

That's an expensive diff service  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26547 on: 21 July 2024, 17:26:48 »

Had a check engine light pop up on the Bini...

P0302 apparently, so popped the plugs out. #2 looked ok, so swapped it with #1 and cleared the code.

Car has relatively recently had a new coil pack, and it looks like the plugs are also nearly new. Checking the leads, #2 wasn't quite fully seated on the coil pack, so that might also have been the cause.

Quick test drive and no sign of a misfire or light, so will have to wait and see.

Oil and coolant both fine with no change in level since the coolant change so that's something.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26548 on: 22 July 2024, 09:19:54 »

Live data will be showing the voltage the ECU sees on the ADC pin (so the voltage) and then a set of calculated values which, in theory, are more understandable by the spanner monkeys.

If I get chance I will check the wiring diagrams to see if the pinouts changed on the sensors at any point (as they did on the Omega V6 throttle pots)
The 2 height values for a given corner (I only checked front, not rear) are different, plus the replacement sensor, there is absolutely no correlation between the 2 height values on that corner.

The front sensors for mine has 6 pins, presumably 3 for ride height control, and 3 for the adaptive dynamics system.  I have a rear sensor here that only has 3 pins on it, otherwise looks identical (bar a tiny difference in connector that prevents the it being used on a 6 pin loom).
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26549 on: 23 July 2024, 17:59:53 »

Put on a sensor from the dealer, problem solved.

Obviously, I feel like my arse has been violated.
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.