Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth the time and money????  (Read 1469 times)

BlueBridge

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • 3.0 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
Is it worth the time and money????
« on: 07 April 2011, 23:45:36 »

After joining this forum last week, I've really enjoyed seeing all the threads and pics of the Omegas, and have got the love back for mine ( a 98 2.5 CD pre facelift). Problem is I've kind of just started to let the old girl go a bit, as more and more things have started to go wrong with her, and its going to cost a fortune to get jobs done. I've had it for 7 years and i've spent a lot on her over that time, mainly when the cambelt snapped after 10000 miles after the first (alleged) replacement. That set me back £2300  >:(
More recently she's had a new water and fuel pump, discs and pads all round, serviced a couple of months ago.
BUT I've got an oil leek from either the rocker or n/s cam cover, a water leak, steering vibrates at 65/70mph, rust on rear arches and drivers door, central locking problems and some git smashed me grille off trying to get to my plug leads (which VX1 has sorted for me  :y) I also will need a couple of new tyres pretty soon.
So all in all would you bother doing all this or let her go when the day finally comes? after reading some of the threads on doing cam covers etc I fancy having a go myself, but don't know whether its worth the trouble!

HELP  :-/

Jon

PS just remembered, the bearings on the alternator are worn aswell, so although she drives well, shes got a noisey whirring sound when you rev.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2011, 23:48:34 by BlueBridge »
Jon

Miggylover

• View Profile
Re: Is it worth the time and money????
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2011, 23:54:06 »

If you have already spent a small fortune on it then its worth keeping, as you wont get that money back when it comes to sell it. And rocker cover gaskets are a small fix in the scheme of things,well worth a go at doing yourself too.

Miggylover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2011, 23:57:18 »

forgot to say your steering wheel wobble is probably just the wheels needing a balance. all in all the jobs that do need doing are still only small ones imo.

BlueBridge

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • 3.0 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2011, 00:06:06 »

Cheers Alex, I think you're right!
Jon

venom

• South Moreton, Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2011, 07:30:14 »

If you have already spent a small fortune on it then its worth keeping, as you wont get that money back when it comes to sell it. And rocker cover gaskets are a small fix in the scheme of things,well worth a go at doing yourself too.

As v6alex says if you've spent a lot over the years keep it, as the old saying goes "Better the Devil you know" plus if your buying another second hand car unless you know the person or the car you do run the risk of buying a duffer as if their car is so good why are they selling, do they know something you don't.  ::) but I do know this does not apply to everyone selling a car but with the way things are at the moment some people will be selling if the car is due a big bill over the next few miles
« Last Edit: 09 April 2011, 07:34:50 by VENOM »
Ken

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2011, 13:18:13 »

It is maybe heresay to say this on OOF but perhaps the older Omegas can be treated as disposable cars.

In Britain. Buy one with MOT for £300 get x months motoring out of it, cash in any tax and weigh it in for scrap. End result up to a years motoring for cost of consumables. Then buy another. Downside? Fuel costs.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2011, 20:47:14 »

i agree it's better the devil you know, most of what you've done points to a good car just needing a few minors, replace the alternator and do the rocker gaskets have a balance and you should be right as for the rust your choice if you can live with it it's all good if not get A few quotes as that would probably be the most expensive thing to fix, when i give my car a good clean and then see it for what it is it always enthuses me to repair it, as said it won't be worth múch on the market but if you haven't got loads of cash to throw at a newish car then i would say spend a couple of hundred and it will certainly see you another couple of years especially with the help on here
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2011, 21:16:16 »

for some of us our cars are something more than a chunk of metal used for transport..

for example I spend serious amount of money and time enough to buy 4 latest model omegas in UK..(must admit that here the prices are a bit different ;D :-X)  but any time I get in the car it can go very long distances without any problem and no trust issues which I cant feel with another car unless I start from scratch again..

here, as a rule most people sell their cars when it needs expensive services and think that its not feasible to repair it.. rarely you can catch a well looked , mint condition car with a reasonable price..

I also love it.. so as a rule I always prefer to repair mine even if its  not cheap.. experience told me that every newly bought second hand car is a twilight zone unless you check thousands of pieces one by one ;D

BlueBridge

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • 3.0 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2011, 01:06:04 »

thanks for the replys, I think I will be sticking with her :y
Jon

venom

• South Moreton, Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2011, 06:54:16 »

thanks for the replys, I think I will be sticking with her :y

You've made the right decision  :y

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.