Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a podger?  (Read 1348 times)

Nickbat

What's a podger?
« on: 02 July 2007, 22:58:30 »

Looking around for a cranked 30mm spanner so I can do the cambelt, I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/britool-30mm-ring-podger-spanner-good-condition_W0QQitemZ140134355233QQihZ004QQcategoryZ20774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Who knows what a podger is? Where does the term come from? Do podgers have nuts that need to be tight?  :o :o

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: What's a podger?
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2007, 23:01:07 »

;D   ;D   ;D  

I saw a young apprentice getting one heck of a smack in the mouth from a hairy ars*d journeyman when said apprentice refused to handle the journeymans podger.....

Sorry, still makes me chuckle......   ;D   ;D  

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2007, 23:05:23 »

My mate who's a scaffolder used to mention a podger spanner, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to explain..........
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2007, 23:15:42 »

A podger is the spike ended contrivance that allows you to move or align something heavy or misaligned so that its into the correct place and the bolts can be inserted then nipped up.

Round my way, you can always tell an old Pit, Mining or Dockyard engineer.  Most have the tip of one index finger missing where they stuck it into a hole to align a couple of flanges and someone else moved the pipe and it guillotined the tip off the finger like a good 'un.....

Only made that mistake twice, then they tended to learn to use a podger......   ;D

Nickbat

« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2007, 23:51:01 »

A podger is the spike ended contrivance that allows you to move or align something heavy or misaligned so that its into the correct place and the bolts can be inserted then nipped up.

Round my way, you can always tell an old Pit, Mining or Dockyard engineer.  Most have the tip of one index finger missing where they stuck it into a hole to align a couple of flanges and someone else moved the pipe and it guillotined the tip off the finger like a good 'un.....

Only made that mistake twice, then they tended to learn to use a podger......   ;D

Wish I hadn't asked, now!  :o :o

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2007, 12:20:50 »

We used to use the expression 'podge it into place' on the building. As far as I knew it simply meant to tap it with something until it was in the desired position.

AndyT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2007, 12:56:36 »

A podger is a spanner with an open-end jaw at one end and a spike at the other.
Was used by steel erectors and scaffolders, the jaw being sized for the size of bolt being commonly used on the job. The spike end was used to line up the holes in the steelwork.
I have several podgers in my tool chest (handed down from my grandfather) but are of limited use on my cars (whitworth spanner size !).

Andy T

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2007, 13:19:31 »

Wish I hadn't asked, now!  :o :o

:-X :-X

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2007, 18:55:41 »

Looking around for a cranked 30mm spanner so I can do the cambelt, I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/britool-30mm-ring-podger-spanner-good-condition_W0QQitemZ140134355233QQihZ004QQcategoryZ20774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Who knows what a podger is? Where does the term come from? Do podgers have nuts that need to be tight?  :o :o

They would be if you used them as a podger :-X ;D ;D

miggy

« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2007, 21:10:17 »

I believe your nuts need to be tight on a todger.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Sorry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.