Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Things I have learnt this week about my car  (Read 2499 times)

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Re: Things I have learnt this week about my car
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2010, 19:29:39 »

Yesterday removal of the good ECU from the scrap car took 5 hrs, today replacement on my elite took the same again so definitely getting faster seeing as that involved putting the fiddly screws back in  :y

Unfortunately it's not fully rebuilt yet as I still need to get some PAS oil and refit the top radiator hose.

Talking of which up until today i've always removed and replaced those clips with a set of mole grips, that was until I met clipzilla that secures the pipe to the block. I managed to remove it using mole grips but when I went to replace it it had sprung shut to the max and I couldn't open the grips far enough to compress it. I attempted to compress it with water pump pliers but it launched itself into orbit and I decided that some things are just too dangerous to bodge  ;D

So, tomorrow i'm off for a walk(!) to get a set of proper pliers and some oil.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2010, 19:36:56 »

I hate those spring clips with a passion!

One of the two little tangs that you squeeze it by decided to snap off on the main radiator hose on the Toyota - good job I'd bought a spare hose 'just in case' and it snapped on the radiator end, really!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2010, 19:52:55 »

They're not too bad, imho. They grip the hose nice and evenly, can't be overtightened and stretch and relax with the thermal cycling an engine sees.

Easier to remove than a jubilee clip that's been rusting away for years and has embedded itself in the rubber.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2010, 20:24:22 »

I can't remember the last time I had a stuck jubilee clip though, and the spring clips I took off today were just as embedded in the rubber.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2010, 20:27:30 »

Be very careful with jubilee clips, have a GOOD look at what you are tightening on to.

Many radiator pipes are now plastic, a jubilee clip will not allow these to expand/contract as the temperature changes, so they crack ... as they are not a replaceable bit it means a new radiator ... an expensive outcome over a very minor part .. :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2010, 20:27:37 »

Easier to remove than a jubilee clip that's been rusting away for years and has embedded itself in the rubber.

Kevin

You've not changed your for stainless then?  ;)  ;)  ;)

No I haven't done so on my Omega .... that was on the Senator  ;))

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2010, 20:58:44 »

They're not too bad, imho. They grip the hose nice and evenly, can't be overtightened and stretch and relax with the thermal cycling an engine sees.

I said I hated them... I didn't say I hated jubilee clips any less  ;D

One of these days I'll just get around to buying a decent pair of spring clip pliers instead of messing with mole grips like the OP, I'm sure that will diminish my hatred some ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2010, 21:24:06 »

The spring clips are the best option.  They are easy enough, not sure I understand the issue?  Damn sight quicker that jubilee clips as well (which aren't suited to this application).

The pesky ones are the Click-Rs which are the type on the breathers at the back (assuming still there).  But these are dead easy with a proper Click-R tool, though pricey at £12 (Amazon)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2010, 16:25:24 »

The spring clips are the best option.  They are easy enough, not sure I understand the issue?  Damn sight quicker that jubilee clips as well (which aren't suited to this application).

The pesky ones are the Click-Rs which are the type on the breathers at the back (assuming still there).  But these are dead easy with a proper Click-R tool, though pricey at £12 (Amazon)
Not done an hbv on your face lift yet have you? Clips have half one of the tabs missing, special tool available no doubt.  :(
« Last Edit: 18 September 2010, 16:26:21 by chrisgixer »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.