Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OMG car insurance issues..  (Read 2606 times)

Missy_MV6

OMG car insurance issues..
« on: 30 April 2010, 15:43:54 »

I am so mad I just need to rant >:(.We had our home and contents insurance with Direct Line, the poilicy was due to renew on the 27th of this month.The renewal quote was £200 more than last year and we haven't claimed :oMy hubby rang them up asking why it was so dear and the woman on the phone said she could see the quote on the computer which was supposedly  £100 less than what we had been quoted via mail :o hubby asked if we could have that quote in writing and she declined saying they couldn't do that but she could get her boss to write us a letter :-X She didn't sound trustworthy so we said we wouldn't be renewing and went with Churchill which was cheaper anyway :)
I cancelled the direct debit and thought nothing more of it until today....
We also have our car insurance with them and we have just bought a private plate,my hubby rang them to see if there would be a charge for changing the details and they said no but just ring us when you have actually put the new plates on.
He rang them today to find they had BLOCKED the car insurance :o At first he thought I had cancelled the wrong direct debit but I could see online that they had taken the car insurance on the 26th as normal :)
When my hubby asked why they had blocked the insurance they said because we hadn't paid the house insurance :o >:( He explained that we had not wanted to renew it and they said we had cancelled the direct debit too early so they blocked the car insurance..My hubby had to pay a months house insurance for them to unblock the car insurance..So just to summarise God forbid we had an accident we wouldnt have been insured even though they had taken the payment and if my hubby hadn't have rang them today we wouldn't have known...HOW RUDE
Unfortunately though Direct Line were the cheapest we had found for our car insurance we really dont want to go with them again ..Anyone have any good insurers that dont cost the earth :question :y
Angie xx

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: OMG car insurance issues..
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2010, 15:49:10 »

No such thing as a good insurer - they are all theiving slimballs.

I'm with Admiral, never cause me any trouble, and cheap for me, but I hear they are hard work if ever I need to claim.
Grumpy old man

Missy_MV6

« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2010, 15:51:40 »

Yeah maybe "good insurer" was a silly phrase ::)..A cheap insurer then ;D

Angie x

mudflap

• Intermediate Member
  • NW London UK
  • My Green Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2010, 16:03:12 »

Everyone is at liberty to change their insurers every year - nothing like going to a "new" company hungry for new business - loyalty used to be something worth hanging on to but these days they seem to want to put you off with their pumped up renewal quotes - something funny going on there ... :-?

If it's got tits or wheels  it's bound to give you trouble   

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2010, 16:10:56 »

I see insurers are a real headache everywhere ..

2 months ago during a compulsory trip to [ch304]stanbul my windscreen cracked.. as usual I visited the main dealer to order a new one.. and you can estimate my face when they tell sorry, your insurance dont pay original.. :o :o >:( >:(

After some debate I understand I cant solve with the branch..

was nearly declaring war  ;D until I talk to a manager (woman) and solve the problem..  ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2010, 17:55:55 »

Go to the Insurance Obudsman... I think what they've done is illegal.

As an aside, I've found Swiftcover to be very good and cheapest for us... Even the renewal price this year was the best price we could get, better even than as a new customer to them! :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Bose Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2010, 18:05:19 »

Every year now I find that a new online quote is cheaper than the renewal invitation from the same insurer.  Loyalty does not pay!  They usually match their new bis quote when you call up though.  btw I've always been scared of a clause in Admiral policies about 'road rage'.  Just about anything can be called 'policyholder road rage' then they can reject the claim.  Nobody else outside the Admiral group has this tricky clause.   :o

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2010, 18:49:30 »

Try Morethan :y

We have house and two car insurance policies with them.
Just had the renewal, for the house insurance which was a great price last year.....it's gone up £1
They were also very good with the Omega insurances.

We were insured with Direct Line a few years ago, we ditched them because they hiked the price way up.
They were rude when I asked for a cheaper quote, nuff said, bye bye ::)

Used to do it by direct debit monthly, now I save it all up during the year and pay the policy in full when it's due, no messing that way, and it can work out cheaper. :y

Mick ;)

« Last Edit: 30 April 2010, 18:55:14 by MickAP »

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2010, 19:56:29 »

The fact they cancelled the car insurance when already paid for sounds illegal to me, I would definately take it further.

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2010, 20:02:31 »

The fact they cancelled the car insurance when already paid for sounds illegal to me, I would definately take it further.

It is. Report them to the Financial Services Authority and inform Direct Line you are doing so. They should never block insurance, and particularly without informing you first.
Chris
------
2.5 Elite

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2010, 23:02:30 »

Slow echo here today :D :D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Mr Hagon

• Intermediate Member
  • South West London
  • RWD and V6; the only way to travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2010, 01:13:14 »

I'm with Admiral, never cause me any trouble, and cheap for me, but I hear they are hard work if ever I need to claim.
I'm with Elephant, part of Admiral group, didn't have too much trouble when I wrote off my previous Omega.  Pain to get hold of people, but fought my corner and gave me a good payout on the car.
Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.2 Estate (Mar '02) in Star Silver.

Mr Hagon

• Intermediate Member
  • South West London
  • RWD and V6; the only way to travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2010, 01:14:19 »

btw I've always been scared of a clause in Admiral policies about 'road rage'.  Just about anything can be called 'policyholder road rage' then they can reject the claim.  Nobody else outside the Admiral group has this tricky clause.   :o
As I'm with Elephant I will have to have a read  :-/.
Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.2 Estate (Mar '02) in Star Silver.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2010, 02:10:36 »

Go to the Insurance Obudsman... I think what they've done is illegal.

As an aside, I've found Swiftcover to be very good and cheapest for us... Even the renewal price this year was the best price we could get, better even than as a new customer to them! :y

Totally agree.

Wonder what the police angle would be on this considering you can prove payment for cover and they just block your cover.  :-/
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2010, 02:27:43 »

I'd been all around the houses with insurance for mine - with my last Ex-Plod, had it insured with Adrian Flux.  They where cheap enough, but when I spoke to them to get my new Ex-Plod insured, they were talking silly money for some reason - even though I'd got an extra years NCB??

Did the usual Meerkat, Go-compare, etc etc doodilly, but still quite expensive.

Got a tip off someone on here (sorry, can't remember who  :( ) to give Aviva a ring (they don't do the comparison sites).

Got mine insured for less than £240 fully comp (I'm 30, doing 20k miles a year, 12yrs ncb, clean licence - well it is now  ;D ).  The only hiccup was it showing on their system as an Auto - they phoned the underwriters who knocked a tenner off cos it's a manual!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.