Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth doing your own repairs?  (Read 3918 times)

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth doing your own repairs?
« Reply #30 on: 13 April 2010, 12:06:16 »

I'll do just about anything that doesn't need a ramp to do, as long as i have the confidence to attempt it. Just got JamesV6-CDX to do my cambelt, but will defo do the next one myself now I've seen and helped do it. I suppose things like HG are beyond a lot of people, but I really begrudge the £50-£70 an hour local main dealers and small garages charge you for a job you COULD do yourself with a liitle patience, preparation, and confidence. Will never begrudge paying for what I cannot do myself, but as i get older, there are a few things I just don't WANT to do. These are the joys in owning a car.

"If you gotta have hosses, you gotta have losses!"
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 April 2010, 12:19:47 »

Before joining here I'd not touched any mechanical parts of a car as I just didn't know what I was doing. The amount I've learned on here and from watching people like Daz has given me a bit of that confidence to do jobs myself such as changing the door lock motor.

The main hurdle I have is lack of a suitable place to work on the car. My driveway is on a steep slope so doing anything under the bonnet involving fluids or anything requiring wheel removal is a no-no, so these sorts of jobs are done by a local family-run garage that we've used in the family for decades, who don't charge the earth.

Any major jobs particularly requiring Vx parts like cambelts are now are done by the likes of Daz as they know what they are doing and can do the job for half the price of a garage/dealer. I feel much safer doing it this way.
Chris
------
2.5 Elite

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 April 2010, 16:47:48 »

If you dont attempt a job then you will never learn, as TB and Jimbob have allready mentioned, they had little or no experiance when they started.

Yes garage charge from £40 per hour and do everything to a book timescale, even if they do it in half the time you still get charged the book time.

Then they put thier apprentices on the job, these may not be much more capable than your self and have to keep asking for help or advice.

The thing is we all start some where, from changing a bulb or a cracked number plate.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.