Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hope Debs is OK  (Read 1577 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Hope Debs is OK
« Reply #30 on: 28 November 2010, 23:15:23 »

The winter of '78 was in another league completely to the weather we are having now! More severe & prolonged snowfall & lower temperatures for an extended period & far & away more severe winds causing very heavy drifting & packed ice on roads etc. 1963 was another severe winter and even worse than 1978! :D ;)

I had a lot of adventures that year, including driving north up the south bound A1, with Police consent. North bound A1 was closed and cars stuck so walked to local villages, like ours and looked after in the pubs and village hall.......
On a particular weekend I was driving a ford Transit Pick up with 2 tonne of bottled gas on the back for a deliver on the saturday, that never happened but nothing stopped us going to rescue a Coach which we brought back from 2 miles away, the long way about 40 miles....... it's final few hundred yards was 3 feet at a time pulled by the rear bucket of a JCB... ::) ::)

My primary mode of transport was a company series Land Rover and I was young, we had a great time... :y :y

Oh and we went out if a Ford Corsair and got it well stuck and had to walk back, only to catch a bus that was turning round and going back.... :D :D

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 November 2010, 23:17:07 »

I agree, for all the mod-cons of modern life you cant beat a decent log fire in your front room  :y
I agree, I am often secretly jealous of Debs - cold outside, log fire, almost cut off from the world. Idylic.

But then, when I threw the duvet off this morning, the central heating had done its job (not that it is that cold around here - was minus 5C when I went out to get a chinky last night at 9pm)
I'm openly jealous of Debs lifestyle harsh as it can be at times. I was brought up in a 400 year old cottage in rural west sussex from the age of 8. We were a well off middle class family but there was no central heating then, not even oil fired. We had a huge inglenook with a roaring open fire, storage heaters & a fan heater which went from room to room. We walked the dogs twice a day & between school i did a paper round, helped the Milkman, caddied @ the West Sx golf course & helped an old boy who cut down treea to make/deliver logs. Thought nothing of it & still don't. We need to toughen up a bit.
    As a result TB i enjoy my central heating but still can't sleep with the heating on upstairs & have to have the windows open. That's only at night though!!!
Curry makes the world go round!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 November 2010, 23:24:32 »

I agree, for all the mod-cons of modern life you cant beat a decent log fire in your front room  :y
I agree, I am often secretly jealous of Debs - cold outside, log fire, almost cut off from the world. Idylic.

But then, when I threw the duvet off this morning, the central heating had done its job (not that it is that cold around here - was minus 5C when I went out to get a chinky last night at 9pm)
I'm openly jealous of Debs lifestyle harsh as it can be at times. I was brought up in a 400 year old cottage in rural west sussex from the age of 8. We were a well off middle class family but there was no central heating then, not even oil fired. We had a huge inglenook with a roaring open fire, storage heaters & a fan heater which went from room to room. We walked the dogs twice a day & between school i did a paper round, helped the Milkman, caddied @ the West Sx golf course & helped an old boy who cut down treea to make/deliver logs. Thought nothing of it & still don't. We need to toughen up a bit.
    As a result TB i enjoy my central heating but still can't sleep with the heating on upstairs & have to have the windows open. That's only at night though!!!

We are the same... :) You are right Guy, we are getting too soft, in all ways..... :(

I often think back to an old guy I met in the early 80's, he lived in a cottage in the middle of nowhere in Northumberland.  I met him when i had to go and fix his 'startomatic' Lister generator, he had an AGA and there was always a roast dinner on the go....... :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.