Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: airbus a380 close call  (Read 4199 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
airbus a380 close call
« on: 04 November 2010, 11:49:18 »

just seen this on the news,lucky to get down in one piece
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11691543
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

aaronjb

Re: airbus a380 close call
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2010, 11:52:59 »

"Mind that flock of birds"
"What flock of birds?"
"That flock of *bang*"

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2010, 11:55:07 »

I don't think constipation will be a problem for any of the passengers for a few days :o
other rides 

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2010, 11:57:06 »

;D That would be somewhat bowel evacuating, especially if you could see the problematic engine..

I like the quote, though: "It's a significant engine failure," Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said.

Just in case the burnt, smashed and somewhat destroyed engine casing didn't give it away ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2010, 12:18:14 »

Yes and apparently Quantus are grounding all Airbus 380s for detailed engine inspections.  No doubt Rolls Royce engineers will be swarming over this one! ::) ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2010, 12:28:31 »

I can't imagine the devastation if one of these should ever hit the ground,I saw one at the goodwood festival of speed a couple of years ago and its bloody enormous
other rides 

Nickbat

« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2010, 12:29:26 »

Video from inside the cabin. Look at the rip on upper wing surface.  :o :o

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article8070445.ab

wingman

• Intermediate Member
  • Hastings
    • Grandland GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2010, 12:37:03 »

Engine failures these days are a very rare occurrence so I guess that RR engineers will be really concerned about this. Doesn't look like ingestion of debris caused failure as if that were the case main fan fairing would have contained damage caused by blades being destroyed. Looks as though failure was further back in engine, perhaps compressor blade fatigue failure? That said the 380 is fully capable of flying on 3 engines but I'm glad I wasn't onboard to test that!!

mantahatch

« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2010, 13:07:44 »

Never ever fly with Quantas, they are the only major airline to have never had a major crash. So they are well overdue one  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2010, 13:10:16 »

Engine failures these days are a very rare occurrence so I guess that RR engineers will be really concerned about this. Doesn't look like ingestion of debris caused failure as if that were the case main fan fairing would have contained damage caused by blades being destroyed. Looks as though failure was further back in engine, perhaps compressor blade fatigue failure? That said the 380 is fully capable of flying on 3 engines but I'm glad I wasn't onboard to test that!!

Yep. You can see that the engine has practically cut itself in half at the front of the turbine stages at a guess. I reckon one stage started shedding blades and it's completely taken out the adjacent section of turbine housing and the outer cowling. Jet engine equivalent of a "leg out of bed" so "significant engine failure" - I'd say so. ;D

I'm sure RR will be very interested in what happened to the materials in that (the hottest) part of the engine.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

wingman

• Intermediate Member
  • Hastings
    • Grandland GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2010, 13:27:07 »

Yes if a blade or blades did detach or fail that would be a very grave concern for RR. The manufacture and fitting of these turbine blades is a highly technical process as shown on TV a few months ago but is technically no different on these Trent 300 engines than on other RR engines.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2010, 13:29:14 »

This was on the news in the lunch room and a colleague looks concerned and says "Maybe I should cancel that ticket to Japan.." - he's flying on a Lufthansa A380 ;D

Although they use "Engine Alliance" engines - which if you ask me, sounds like the name of some dodgy engine refurb place you'd find on eBay ;D

bluey

• Intermediate Member
  • West Mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 November 2010, 13:29:22 »

I can't imagine the devastation if one of these should ever hit the ground,I saw one at the goodwood festival of speed a couple of years ago and its bloody enormous

What's even more worrying is how quiet it is.  When this plane made its maiden visit to heathrow I was working at an office directly under the flight path, and the sheer lack of noise as it flew at circa 1,000 feet was spooky. If you're going to be near a plane coming down, at least have the chance of hearing it coming!

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2010, 13:41:50 »

What's even more worrying is how quiet it is.  When this plane made its maiden visit to heathrow I was working at an office directly under the flight path, and the sheer lack of noise as it flew at circa 1,000 feet was spooky. If you're going to be near a plane coming down, at least have the chance of hearing it coming!
I suspect that if it was throwing turbine blades you would hear a distinctive sound - a bit like a circus knife-throwers assistant hears! :D
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #14 on: 04 November 2010, 14:03:55 »

Well whatever the cause, it does seem that something ejected from the engine and existed through the wing.  The very thing that Rolls Royce try and avoid!!

This is an interesting piece of film on the RR A380 Arbus Trent engine test that demonstrates how the cowling shield should stop flying blades:

The testing starts from about 3.30 minutes

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2009/02/a380-jet-engine-test.html
 ;)
« Last Edit: 04 November 2010, 14:05:09 by Lizzie_Zoom »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.