Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance, legal?  (Read 1803 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Insurance, legal?
« on: 11 September 2010, 21:57:02 »

I have a 2.2 that I will be selling once a couple of little bits and bobs get sorted, planning on pottering about in it to make sure it is good to go.

I was thinking of registering it in my partners name and driving it( with her permission of course ;)) with third party cover on my comp policy.

This is ok is it not?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Pipsqueak

• Intermediate Member
  • Leeds
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance, legal?
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2010, 21:59:35 »

i believe the owner of the car has to be fully insured and dont forget you will be added another name to the list of former keepers.
To know me is to truly love me.

david036

• Intermediate Member
  • Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2010, 22:09:03 »

From what I understand that is legal to do that as long as you have the owners permission.  I've driven many a car this way and never had a problem.
TOYOTA AYGO, CITROEN C1 ENGINE PARTS FOR SALE.  ENGINES HAVE LESS THAN 10MILES ON THEM.  CATS FOR SALE AS WELL.  HUGE SAVINGS ON DEALER PRICES

Pipsqueak

• Intermediate Member
  • Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2010, 22:11:38 »

Your fully comp insurance has also got to state that you are allowed to drive another persons car.  Would check with your insurance 1st.
To know me is to truly love me.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2010, 22:14:22 »

Your fully comp insurance has also got to state that you are allowed to drive another persons car.  Would check with your insurance 1st.

It does indeed, no mention of the other car needing to be insured though
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2010, 22:19:50 »

This is NOT legal, as the car itself has to be insured.

You FC insurance ony covers you for when you are in the drivers seat - as soon as you leave the seat, the car is uninsured.
Grumpy old man

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2010, 22:25:26 »

I have a 2.2 that I will be selling once a couple of little bits and bobs get sorted, planning on pottering about in it to make sure it is good to go.

I was thinking of registering it in my partners name and driving it( with her permission of course ;)) with third party cover on my comp policy.

This is ok is it not?
I understand the old cozzy and mini trick :y :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2010, 22:26:09 »

This is NOT legal, as the car itself has to be insured.

You FC insurance ony covers you for when you are in the drivers seat - as soon as you leave the seat, the car is uninsured.

As TB says the other car has to be insured. This is the reason why Master Vamps car is sitting at the top of the drive, I could drive it off, and out of the way for some forthcoming work on the Omega, but if I parked in on the road it would be an uninsured car on the highway.. :)
« Last Edit: 11 September 2010, 22:27:17 by floodm »

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2010, 22:32:28 »

You may have to be careful here O. 

Even though you may have third party cover to drive a vehicle not registered to you, by virtue of your comprehensive cover on the vehicle registered in your name, the 'other' vehicle still needs to be insured by the registered keeper/owner if it is being used on the road.

In your circumstances I would imagine that it would require cover specific to the vehicle in question and not cover by proxy by virtue of the third party provision afforded by your own comprehensive policy

I would imagine your insurance providers may well take a negative view of your proposal should you inform them of your intentions.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2010, 16:13:11 »

Well after a call to the insurance company it appears TB and others are correct in that the other car needs to have a policy covering it, I checked my documents and it makes no mention of this fact :o and could be interpreted as it not needing to.

Bloody hell, I could have lost a motor!!!

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2010, 16:22:47 »

You may have to be careful here O. 

Even though you may have third party cover to drive a vehicle not registered to you, by virtue of your comprehensive cover on the vehicle registered in your name, the 'other' vehicle still needs to be insured by the registered keeper/owner if it is being used on the road.

In your circumstances I would imagine that it would require cover specific to the vehicle in question and not cover by proxy by virtue of the third party provision afforded by your own comprehensive policy

I would imagine your insurance providers may well take a negative view of your proposal should you inform them of your intentions.
[/highlight]

In more concise terms omegod , your Insurers will say: " You're avin' a larf intcha? ;D ;)
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Mysteryman

« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2010, 16:31:00 »

In Liverpool they have ANPR cameras to weed out the wussies who actually buy insurance. ;D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2010, 18:03:40 »

See if your insurance company will let you run a second car on the policy for a short period.
When I asked mine would insure a second car for up to a month on the policy for little money.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2010, 18:17:28 »

See if your insurance company will let you run a second car on the policy for a short period.
When I asked mine would insure a second car for up to a month on the policy for little money.

Exactly what i was going to say Captain then at least you know its covered fully comp in the case of the unthinkable, my insurers are quite ok in this respect.

The only time you can drive a car that dosen't have a policy on it is if it has a set of trade plates in it and this in itself has implications depending on the traders insurance company :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2010, 18:21:09 »

Exactly what i was going to say Captain then at least you know its covered fully comp in the case of the unthinkable, my insurers are quite ok in this respect.

The only time you can drive a car that dosen't have a policy on it is if it has a set of trade plates in it and this in itself has implications depending on the traders insurance company :y

Only partly correct.

Trade Plates cover Vehicle Excise Licence (or Road Tax) only, not insurance.

The firm or individual who rightfully own the trade plates require to aquire and pay for insurance in their own right to cover the use of the vehicle as a motor trader or repairer.  By 'borrowing' trade plates you are only 'borrowing' a tax disc, nothing more, if thats the line you were thinking along....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.