Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft  (Read 467 times)

mrjimbo

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
Microsoft
« on: 03 August 2010, 16:27:50 »

Just had a call from somebody calling himself "Jack" he definately wasn't a "Jack" more like "Jackass" pertaining to be from Microsoft telling me that my computer is infected and that if i turn it on he can rectify the problem, i hung up because he wouldn't prove to me who he was.

5 minutes later i had another call from somebody calling himself "Peter" definately not a "Peter" more like "Patel" again says he's from Microsoft and saying my computer is infected and if i turn it on he can rectify the problem so i hung up again because he would not authenticate his identity.

If these calls were genuine why would they not authenticate thier identity ? How did Microsoft get my number ? i haven't given them it. Why did they not contact me by eMail ? any communication i have had with Microsoft in the past has always been through eMail.

The calls came from an Indian call centre judgeing by the accents, what do you people think ?

Was it a genuine call from Microsoft ?

Was it a hoax call Phishing for personal information ?

steve_daly

Re: Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2010, 16:46:30 »

Just had a call from somebody calling himself "Jack" he definately wasn't a "Jack" more like "Jackass" pertaining to be from Microsoft telling me that my computer is infected and that if i turn it on he can rectify the problem, i hung up because he wouldn't prove to me who he was.

5 minutes later i had another call from somebody calling himself "Peter" definately not a "Peter" more like "Patel" again says he's from Microsoft and saying my computer is infected and if i turn it on he can rectify the problem so i hung up again because he would not authenticate his identity.

If these calls were genuine why would they not authenticate thier identity ? How did Microsoft get my number ? i haven't given them it. Why did they not contact me by eMail ? any communication i have had with Microsoft in the past has always been through eMail.

The calls came from an Indian call centre judgeing by the accents, what do you people think ?

Was it a genuine call from Microsoft ?

Was it a hoax call Phishing for personal information ?

No and a yes in that order.

mrjimbo

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2010, 17:13:52 »

Thats what i was thinking, phone number was with held as well.

Tossers

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2010, 17:51:02 »

Seems to be a lot of that these days, would be interesting to know where they get our details from.

If they ring me I would have a field day with them.

I love cold callers, especially the window variety..... ;D ;D ;D ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2010, 17:52:25 »

Its a big scam going on at present with it, they hack your PC and then leave malware and spyware on your PC
There is also another one pretending to be the HMRC via email asking for details
No more Omega but still hangs around

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2010, 17:56:01 »

Its a big scam going on at present with it, they hack your PC and then leave malware and spyware on your PC
There is also another one pretending to be the HMRC via email asking for details

Theres a few return emails saying that thier details have been reported to the fraud sqaud as well........ ;D ;D
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Nickbat

« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2010, 19:41:39 »

It's a growing scam, though the police and press seems to be waking up it. :y

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/supportonclick-systemrecure-scam

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2010, 19:54:57 »

I had a similar call a few months ago. He cracked on he was from BT and asked if I realised that there was a problem with our line going off. We have a BT number & another number via Orange broadband and rarely use the BT line so just told him to get on with what he needed to do. But he said ...... there was a small charge of £6 that had to be via a credit card. :-?  :-?  :-?
I'm not as stupid as I look  ::) so I let him dig a deeper hole for himself before I told him no. Just to confirm it was a scam, when he realised I wasn't playing he yold me to opps off & then put he phone down.  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D
5 mins later another lad started the very same conversation.  :-?  :-?  :-? he got short shrift  :y  :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.