Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: School rules  (Read 1863 times)

mantahatch

School rules
« on: 29 March 2010, 18:06:57 »

My son turned 16 in September 2009 but is still at school.
Now he has had a moped since October 2009 and is riding it to and from school. He does not park it on school premises and puts his hemet etc in his locker.
There are only 2 kids in the entire school that ride mopeds. (In my day it was more like 25)

Now the school decide this is not acceptable and say no motorcycle equipment is to be brought into school.

Now I have just replied to there email saying I don't this is fair and have asked for clarification of the rules on it.

Do we have any teachers or school type people that could advise where we stand on this.

Thanks

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: School rules
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2010, 18:10:05 »

If he can legally ride the bike, and legally parks it away from School property... then it is absolutely none of their concern if he rides it to School.

When I was 16, school found me a place to park my 'ped!

In terms of the helmet, most mopeds have a storage area under the seat?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2010, 18:13:16 »

I really can't see how a school can enforce it. If he is fully legal, what's their problem?  :-?

mantahatch

« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2010, 18:13:41 »

If he can legally ride the bike, and legally parks it away from School property... then it is absolutely none of their concern if he rides it to School.

When I was 16, school found me a place to park my 'ped!

In terms of the helmet, most mopeds have a storage area under the seat?

Thanks James
When I say moped, it is 50cc but is a super moto looking type bike so no under seat storage.
Also I try to make him ride responsibly, so that means gloves, boot etc. But they do all fit nicely in the locker with his books etc.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2010, 18:16:12 »

They are clearly not banning him from riding to school (they can't), but are trying to stop it by not allowing helmets in school.

My retarded, backward, stupid secondary school in Aylesbury tried punishing me for removing my tie and blazer on the way home once I'd left the gates.  Obviously the idiots failed miserably.
Grumpy old man

mantahatch

« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2010, 18:16:39 »

I really can't see how a school can enforce it. If he is fully legal, what's their problem?  :-?

Def fully legal, I make sure he has MOT tax insurance, I can't vouch for his riding when I am not there, but we where all young once  :y

But the odd times I have seen when he is not expecting me to be there he seems pretty sensible.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2010, 18:17:59 »

go visit the head for an explanation - make the head answer for his/her rules...
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2010, 18:18:53 »

Sounds like an image thing to me, ask them for a copy of the school rule book.

Also wonder if any teachers ride motorcycles to the school and if so is it a rule for them and a rule for the kids.

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

bri cox

• york
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2010, 18:27:15 »

they are having a laugh my school used to teach you how to ride a moped on the school and do a mock cbt test  so you got a little more experiance only when you was in year eleven and with parents consent head teacher provided a moped parking area for pupils

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2010, 18:36:38 »

only when you was in year eleven and  ....

My school only went up to 5th year  ::)  ::)  ::)

STMO999

« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2010, 18:54:34 »

Now he has had a moped since October 2009 and is riding it to and from school. He does not park it on school premises and puts his hemet etc in his locker.
There are only 2 kids in the entire school that ride mopeds. (In my day it was more like 25)

Now the school decide this is not acceptable and say no motorcycle equipment is to be brought into school.

Now I have just replied to there email saying I don't this is fair and have asked for clarification of the rules on it.

Do we have any teachers or school type people that could advise where we stand on this.

Thanks

You don't say why they deem it unacceptable. Let's see what the email says.

mantahatch

« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2010, 19:20:19 »

Thanks

You don't say why they deem it unacceptable. Let's see what the email says.

I don't think they no either:

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2010, 19:24:12 »

interesting, as mentioned above ask to speak to the head and ask them to explain themselves.

He is taking quite green form of transport, not having parents drive him in big car. Ask what exactly is the reason behind no helmets in school!?

I do assume some people cycle in and use helmets?

STMO999

« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2010, 19:25:07 »

That's a bit curt isn't it? I would have expected some kind of explanation as to why. Perhaps they have already told your son the reason. Nevertheless, I would be ringing and asking to speak to Mr Cleaver about it. I wouldn't get too wound up until you've had a conversation, it MAY be perfectly obvious after.

Nickbat

« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2010, 19:37:28 »

At my school, we have a sixth-form agreement that cars and motorcycles are not be parked or ridden in the streets immediately adjacent to the school. This is principally due to the high number of accidents involving students over the years (one rolled in a garden, one crashed into a tree  and one head-on). Some schools (and, I presume, colleges) have home/school agreements which are a condition of enrolment.

Furthermore, some schools insist that school uniform must be worn (Yrs 7-11) when travelling to and from school. This enables behaviour to be monitored. It may be that arriving in a motorcycle outfit contravenes that rule.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.