Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay???  (Read 2049 times)

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
Ebay???
« on: 17 November 2009, 16:34:50 »

Who else finds Ebay a pain to use now?
Talking about the crazy rule now about offering free P&P in certain categories. Trying to list some mags, only putting them up for starting @ 99p but you have to give free P&P...........not worth it.
Only way around it is add it to the starting price, then I have to start paying extra listing/final value fees, then of course they probably won't sell, thus costing me more.....which idiot thought this one up.

Mick

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay???
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2009, 16:37:34 »

i've been banned for the last 7 years but they have started sending me invoices with zero on it for some reason. i have sent some correspondence with some nasty swear words telling them where to go.  :)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2009, 16:40:05 »

Talking about the crazy rule now about offering free P&P in certain categories. Trying to list some mags, only putting them up for starting @ 99p but you have to give free P&P...........not worth it.
Only way around it is add it to the starting price, then I have to start paying extra listing/final value fees, then of course they probably won't sell, thus costing me more.....which idiot thought this one up.

Mick

See my earlier comments on this thread:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1258471484/new

Ebay  >:(

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2009, 16:53:05 »

Mick

Yep read that thread.
Come to the conclusion a while back that ebay only seem to want volume sellers now, business and shops. Can't be arsed with the small timers who just want to get rid a few low cost items, the sellers who put them where they are now!

Mick

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2009, 17:11:36 »

Have to agree with you mick, from a sellers point of view, if you just want to get rid of a few bits it really is a lot of hassle and tbh a carboot is a better option, although from the buyers perspective you can still pick up a lot of good deals price wise using ebay when compared with either "normal" high street retailers or their online outlets. Just makes you wonder how much longer this price difference will last before either ebay or the taxman decide on a bigger cut :(

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2009, 18:04:58 »

I only do bits now as its a lot of hassle; I get a few bits from boot sale and do ok, but only beacuse I only sell collectable or desirable stuff;

Sack of Lego bought on boot for £12 got £78
Transformer Porsche on boot 80p got £20
Tinplate bus on boot £6 got £74
Tried to give away a tatty trampoline left at the house I bought-no-one wanted it, buy ebayers bid £35 and took it away...!!!

Its only worth doing with this margin....ebay can hit the right audience with collectables, but day to day items its not worth the hassle anymore.

What made ebay is now irrelevant to them-us little sellers...

SJKOO01

« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2009, 18:19:14 »

Have to say that just lately I don't see that many bargins as there was on there a few years ago.  And some people are selling stuff at the same as it would cost you at the shops !.
There was a revolt when sellers couldn't give negative feedback sometime ago, lot of complaints, but ebay not taken one bit of notice.  Only seam to be interested in buyer protection these days, and not so much seller protection.

I'm very much thinking of closing my account soon and not bothering anymore.
And don't even bother putting your vehicle for auction as they take 3% off the total selling price  :-/ .  Not so bad if your cars worth £1000 as it's only £30, but if you've got a £10,000 car that's £300 !!. Best off doing a fixed classified ad, around £13 and no final fee (or there wasn't last time I looked ?).

Don't know about others, but seem to be hearing more negative things about ebay lately, and have you noticed there not advertising on the TV like they used to..... erm.... wonder why ??.  :D

HolyCount

« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2009, 18:31:08 »

We have been gradually shifting our customer base from ebay to our own website, mainly because of the lack of seller protection on ebay.  The fees we would have paid ebay when we sell via our website go to charity.

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2009, 19:05:07 »

We have been gradually shifting our customer base from ebay to our own website, mainly because of the lack of seller protection on ebay.  The fees we would have paid ebay when we sell via our website go to charity.

Great idea!

I have seen others post one item cheaply with "please call ------ or visit www.-----" on there to get them to go direct.

I have NEVER understood why ebay stopped sellers being able to warn others about poor buyers via feedback.  It was the whole point of ebay!

I can't be bothered to risk my 100% score unless there is a huge profit.  ebay's loss-from their own doing.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2009, 19:12:04 »

It's quite simple, if you don't like their rules (they are trying to put the bias back towards buyers), you're not forced to use the service ;)

Ebay's biggest problem is it was ruined by 2 kinds of sellers.  Good on them for at least attempting to turn that around.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2009, 21:11:27 »

Mick

Yep read that thread.
Come to the conclusion a while back that ebay only seem to want volume sellers now, business and shops. Can't be arsed with the small timers who just want to get rid a few low cost items, the sellers who put them where they are now!

Mick

Which is my pet gripe.

Why cant they seperate the shops/but it now's and let the rest stay as an auction as it was intened.

Bring back ebase5, was far superior to ebay, and up to the point of it being shut down I had never used or wanted to use ebay.   :-/
« Last Edit: 17 November 2009, 21:15:45 by skruntie »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2009, 21:43:05 »

Anyone know, or even used an alternative to ebay?

Used that Auctiva for listing, it linked up to your ebay listings............they even started charging to use that. Was that in some way connected to ebay?

Mick
« Last Edit: 17 November 2009, 21:43:47 by MickAP »

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2009, 21:48:34 »

Used to sell lots of knicknac type things on Ebay - given up now do a yearly CBS instead.

As to costs - about 20% I think

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2009, 22:02:09 »

Anyone know, or even used an alternative to ebay?

Used that Auctiva for listing, it linked up to your ebay listings............they even started charging to use that. Was that in some way connected to ebay?

Mick

I think the next biggest is Ebid, but even they're a minnow compared to fleeceBay.

I stopped selling on fleeceBay years ago when they/PayPal decided they didn't want to pay UK tax and abide by UK laws by shifting their accounts to Luxembourg. I closed my Pay-an-arm-and-a-leg-in-feesPal account - so when they stipulated all listings to offer PayPal as payment method, and stopped negative feedback for dodgy buyers that was it as far as I was concerned.

We have a car-boot within half mile of us so just use that when we need to.
Chris
------
2.5 Elite

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 November 2009, 22:12:35 »

Mick

Yep read that thread.

Mick

Which is my pet gripe.

Why cant they seperate the shops/but it now's and let the rest stay as an auction as it was intened.

Bring back ebase5, was far superior to ebay, and up to the point of it being shut down I had never used or wanted to use ebay.   :-/
I disagree - I reckon the changes are helping the person just wishing to sell bits and bobs, rather than the 'amateur pros' and the true traders.  But under the new regime, buyers are the kings (which is good for everyone).
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.