Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric car depreciation.  (Read 10446 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Electric car depreciation.
« on: 22 September 2024, 12:25:35 »

Dropped in at my local Jaguar/land Rover dealer yesterday afternoon.

I noticed they had 4 or 5 brand new unregistered I -Pace EV400 looking forlorn and unloved. The car in the showroom, an HSE with posher Windsor leather trim and larger 22 inch wheels had a sticker price of £82414 OTR.

How much if I buy this today, I asked. I'll ask the sales manager was his reply. Five minutes later he returns with a figure of £61414 OTR....a saving of £21000 off list.

This morning he emailed to say he would be willing to drop to exactly £60,000 if I made a decision today.

Sounds good in isolation but they  also have a used 10,000 mile June 2023 car for sale at £36950. :o :o

The moral of the story being don't pay anything like the full asking price for a new electric car.

Nice milk float though, and at £36950 for a 15 month old car it 'almost' makes sense. :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Electric car depreciation.
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2024, 12:40:22 »

I've been reading a lot of articles about EVs, mainly because it amuses me. They are just not selling, neither are they holding any sort of value. Lease companies are losing money hand over fist on three year contracts, because the future value of the cars is nothing like what was predicted. These lease companies, along with business users, are the ones buying most of the EVs that get sold each month, domestic consumers are only about 25% of the total. Now that they are depreciating so quickly, sales of new ones will plummet. Tee hee.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2024, 12:44:42 »

There are not many public chargers in Barnsley, unsurprisingly. The ones I come across are in three groups of two chargers. One group in a public car park and two in supermarkets (Asda and Lidl). I've seen a taxi charging at Lidl once, the other two locations, presuming they are working ok, have never had a car parked in them. Draw your own conclusions.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2024, 12:52:54 »

I also, earlier this week, saw a chart about which fuel type depreciated most quickly. Although diesels accounted for the least number of new cars sold, they depreciated less than any other fuel type which, of course, pleased this old dinosaur.  :)
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2024, 15:58:45 »

The Stalinist fines that will be levied against the car manufacturers for not selling enough EV's in our Brave New World command economy will really start to bite!  ::)  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2024, 16:31:31 »

The Stalinist fines that will be levied against the car manufacturers for not selling enough EV's in our Brave New World command economy will really start to bite!  ::)  :-X
I'm afraid if I were an overseas mainstream car manufacturer, I'd be telling Starmer to go and pork himself. We're not paying your fines and, if you don't want our cars, up yours.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2024, 18:46:04 »

There are not many public chargers in Barnsley, unsurprisingly. The ones I come across are in three groups of two chargers. One group in a public car park and two in supermarkets (Asda and Lidl). I've seen a taxi charging at Lidl once, the other two locations, presuming they are working ok, have never had a car parked in them. Draw your own conclusions.

Yep, the same in Waitrose near us. Three posts and six chargers, so the cars are nose to nose, and on the rare occasion we see the odd car in one bay. The rest are empty, which is a waste of those empty bays.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2024, 21:54:55 »

I'm afraid if I were an overseas mainstream car manufacturer, I'd be telling Starmer to go and pork himself. We're not paying your fines and, if you don't want our cars, up yours.

I might be wrong on this, but as I understand it, it's a certain percentage of their sales have to be EV's, and that percentage goes up every year?  :-\

Think I read somewhere that manufacturers are rationing or manipulating deliveries of ICE cars to boost the EV percentage so that they avoid the fine.   ::)

It's unbelievable that such a policy was brought in by the effing Tories!  >:(   Keir Stalin and the clown Red Ed Millipede  maybe....  :-X   ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2024, 22:13:33 »

I might be wrong on this, but as I understand it, it's a certain percentage of their sales have to be EV's, and that percentage goes up every year?  :-\

Think I read somewhere that manufacturers are rationing or manipulating deliveries of ICE cars to boost the EV percentage so that they avoid the fine.   ::)

It's unbelievable that such a policy was brought in by the effing Tories!  >:(   Keir Stalin and the clown Red Ed Millipede  maybe....  :-X   ::)

The mandate sets out that 22% of manufacturers' new-car sales will need to come from ZEVs this year. This increases to 28% in 2025, and 33% in 2026. By 2027, the targeted percentage will climb to 38%, then 52% in 2028, 66% in 2029 and then 80% in 2030.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2024, 22:19:03 »

A couple of weeks back I went to a few Audi and BMW dealerships and to be fair not one of them mentioned EV’s when I enquired about the vehicles. I guess they thought that it would be a waste of time talking about EV’s to someone looking at three litre diesel’s.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2024, 00:11:07 »

The mandate sets out that 22% of manufacturers' new-car sales will need to come from ZEVs this year. This increases to 28% in 2025, and 33% in 2026. By 2027, the targeted percentage will climb to 38%, then 52% in 2028, 66% in 2029 and then 80% in 2030.

All this was dreamt up by the Climate Change Committee.  The government is mandated to implement the recommendations of the CCC by the Climate Change Act, which makes the CCC probably the most powerful body in the land. They are unelected, unaccountable, and one of the members a Baroness Brown also sits on the board of Orsted, the Danish wind farm company that has been building some of the huge offshore windfarms in the North Sea. You can draw your own conclusions...  :-X

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Yaris Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2024, 13:30:48 »

I think that most of us on here were of the opinion ages ago that fully electric vehicles would never appeal to the majority of motorists, we now have a hybrid Toyota which I researched well into before purchasing it , we've not had it that long but at this moment in time can't fault it at all .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2024, 13:40:37 »

They will just get added to the new non EV car prices (In fact AML have already stated that it their intention)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2024, 16:38:19 »

Synthetic fuel for ICE,s is the answer, but it may be too late to turn back from the wrong path now.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2024, 17:08:32 »

Could the reason for not being many cars at supermarket chargers, it's the same here at the Sainsbury near me where the chargers rarely have any takers. due to the fact that owners charge at home due to the high cost of using these public ones.  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.