Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel filler cut-off - hoses? Witchcraft?  (Read 1171 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Fuel filler cut-off - hoses? Witchcraft?
« on: 10 August 2024, 13:40:13 »

So I thought I'd treat the big thing to a nice full tank of fuel yesterday. Got home (a mile journey) and it smelt a bit fuelly, but I assumed I was clumsy and had filled my shoes up by accident.

Today I went to move him, and immediately got a lungful of fumes. Got under and it was pouring fuel like the water in a side display of a Chinese buffet restaurant.

All hoses were secure and undamaged but it was obviously as the tank got warm, pressurising over the top and out of the pump seal. Quart in a pint pot situation.

Anyway I put my cigarette out and drained a good gallon (about £9 worth I think at today's prices). Currently airing out to get the smell out of the fabric...

I know (think) there's some pipes that run off the side of the filler neck and I can only assume one of them is knackered, missing, or blocked, or going the wrong place. I can't imagine the level it cuts off is actually adjustable.

Any advice on where to start looking would be appreciated. It's something I should have checked when I had the car in pieces but that's by the by.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel filler cut-off - hoses? Witchcraft?
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2024, 14:57:17 »

Was the tank pressurised when you filled it?

Possibly failure of the feed or return pipe spigot on the top of the tank... They will eventually rot off. Apart from these and the filter the rest of the system is plastic.

Plate off under the boot carpet and have a rummage. Engine running and you'll soon find which bit is leaking  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2024, 15:55:32 »

Was the tank pressurised when you filled it?

Possibly failure of the feed or return pipe spigot on the top of the tank... They will eventually rot off. Apart from these and the filter the rest of the system is plastic.

Plate off under the boot carpet and have a rummage. Engine running and you'll soon find which bit is leaking  :y

No idea if it was pressurised, I'm not entirely sure I was awake when I filled it. ;)

It did however start pushing fuel out when I loosened the fuel pump plate, because it was as full as a very full thing.

Absolutely no leaks from anywhere, spent an hour drying, cleaning and teting repeatedly. It's only when brimmed that it's overbrimmed.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2024, 19:31:32 »

That sounds like a pump fault failing to cut off.

Add in a cold tank when you filled it followed by heat expansion causing it to over flow :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.