Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts please chaps  (Read 6709 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts please chaps
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2024, 13:35:39 »

I've spent the morning shouting at Sytner.  So purely on that principle, I wouldn't touch that car.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2024, 13:54:12 »

I know the average age of forum members here is well into 3 figures when I see a discussion on which dreary derv estate is the most practical and economical.

For what it's worth the Focus estate will probably be better to drive than the staid, stolid, and sensible Scandinavian.  :y

Also, being the Titanium model it will probably come with more kit. :y

True, driving my V70 is a bit like driving a narrowboat.  ;D  Although as far as I know it's sat on it's original suspension which has done over 190k miles, so it's somewhat spongey.   :)

The Volvo D5 engine however is excellent and has a nice growl when it wakes up8)

5 cylinders lumps do sound good.....much like the 2.5L 5 pot lump from the Audi RS3.

The 2.8 V6 in the mighty Signum is disappointing when it comes to 'aural pleasure' >:D but I think that has something to do with it being a turbo lump. N/A always sounds better. :y
« Last Edit: 10 August 2024, 13:55:46 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2024, 13:57:19 »

I've spent the morning shouting at Sytner.  So purely on that principle, I wouldn't touch that car.

What is it this time?

If you're rude to them you won't get to suck on the receptionists tits. ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2024, 15:02:41 »

Those two aren't exactly comparable though. The earlier V70 iIS better built than the 2008 Mondeo.

The last V60/Focus is a much closer comparison.

That's exactly what I said.  ::)

I can't imagine Ford's build quality has got much better over the years, but it is possible that Volvo's have got worse to save cash.  ;)
The new V60 is a rehash of the old V60 which is a close relative of the same age Focus.

The V70 that replaced yours is related to your Mondeo. The older one you have is basically a rehashed 850.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Yaris Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2024, 17:05:57 »

How many miles on the Astra now Steve? Don't know much about Volvos couple of guys who I used to work with had them and thought they were great cars especially for towing , service history is important with them I believe. Got to be worth taking a look have you checked the MOT history?
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2024, 18:26:13 »

How many miles on the Astra now Steve? Don't know much about Volvos couple of guys who I used to work with had them and thought they were great cars especially for towing , service history is important with them I believe. Got to be worth taking a look have you checked the MOT history?
77000 on the Astra, Mick. Been to Liverpool and back today in it and it's still running fine. Just an itch that needs scratching, and when there's eff all on the telly, I am strangely drawn to autotrader  :)
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2024, 18:27:45 »

77000 on the Astra, Mick. Been to Liverpool and back today in it and it's still running fine. Just an itch that needs scratching, and when there's eff all on the telly, I am strangely drawn to autotrader  :)
You need another, cheaper, favourite website ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 August 2024, 18:29:40 »

What is it this time?

If you're rude to them you won't get to suck on the receptionists tits. ;)
Part I bought last week is faulty.  They say I have to buy another, whilst mine is sent back to JLR, who then send it back to supplier, who then have 2 months to test.  So gonna be 3 months before I learn if they will refund it.

self-abusers.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Yaris Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 August 2024, 18:58:30 »

Didn't realise it had done that many miles so probably at the stage to get rid , have you been over to give the Volvo the once over ? It would be a classier act than the Astra if it's been looked after.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 August 2024, 19:05:32 »

Didn't realise it had done that many miles so probably at the stage to get rid , have you been over to give the Volvo the once over ? It would be a classier act than the Astra if it's been looked after.
No, as I said earlier, Liverpool to see mother today (94 years young). Maybe go and have a look tomorrow. I'm in a very good position with the dealer. If I don't like the trade in price, or don't particularly like the Volvo, or they don't STFU when I tell them I don't want it coating in snake oil for £300, I'll just drive home in my trusty astra and wait till there's nowt on telly again  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 August 2024, 19:13:36 »

Oh.....and I learned a valuable lesson last time I visited this site, when it was the car people before sytner select. Before any money at all changes hands, I need to see, and test, the wheel nut key and physically see the service history.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Yaris Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 August 2024, 20:33:38 »

Oh.....and I learned a valuable lesson last time I visited this site, when it was the car people before sytner select. Before any money at all changes hands, I need to see, and test, the wheel nut key and physically see the service history.

Cash seems to be king , certainly seemed like it when I bought the Toyota recently kept my cool & got spare wheel kit worth £309 number plates in readiness for the plate transfer worth £24 + ceramic coating & internal protection for the fabrics another £370 otherwise I was prepared to walk away, then got £200 off the 3 year service plan.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 August 2024, 20:39:37 »

Don't know which engine the V60 you're looking at has but one version of the 4 pot diesels that Volvo used suffered from[I think it had something to do with the piston rings] diesel finding its way into the sump and overfilling it.
Sir Tigs. V70 has a fair bit more Ford input than my earlier[P80 platform]phase 1 V70 and some say the phase 2 cars are not as robust because of it.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2024, 23:16:32 »

My OH had a 2016 s60. Hers was the D2, so a total slug, but apart from that it was a nice car. Interior was very comfortable and felt well screwed together - better quality feel than my mate's Mondeo of the same age and much better than our current galaxy in that regard (although to be fair to it the galaxy is a generation older).

190bhp diesel will be more than quick enough for daily use. I'd say go for it  :y.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.