Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlight restoration attempt  (Read 3297 times)

ABCDEFG

• England
    • Vauxhall Corsa
    • View Profile
Headlight restoration attempt
« on: 15 July 2024, 13:25:21 »

I have recently been trying to attempt to restore the faded headlights on my Vauxhall Corsa, as with age they have clouded and started to have a yellow hue. To my dismay, after following tutorials and even buying a kit, I have managed to make them worse. They have this even more horrible cloudiness, that just will not go. I used ( in order) 600, 1500 and 3000 grit sandpaper and then a heavy duty polishing compound applied with a cloth. I would use a drill head attachment to apply the polishing compound, however the one I have isn't up to the job and buying a new one for this small job would be a waste. I will say that the surface is not visibly smooth, and still has light scratches present, could this be an issue?  Any help or suggestions would be more than welcome. I would put an image up but can't for the life of me work out how to.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight restoration attempt
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2024, 13:30:29 »

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2024, 13:38:13 »

I use the 3M kits designed for use in a drill, and find they work well with minimal fuss and effort.  You must keep it wet though.

Manually doing it with wet and dry, again keeping it wet, has been done by a few less idle than me on here with great effect.

If you are near me (Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire border), I'd be more than happy to use one of my kits on your Corsa.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2024, 15:30:50 »

And if you're anywhere near Sussex, likewise.

That said, given the price of Corsa headlights, it might be easier to pop some new ones in if they're that knackered  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 3.2 Elite sal & est x3!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2024, 16:21:11 »

I did the headlights on my Omega last year by hand and the end result was brilliant and they came up like glass.
The initial difficulty is removing the UV coating that they come with new which basically is to prevent them becoming cloudy from the UV rays and weather, but even this breaks down over time. Once you start to get through this UV coating (which initially looks like a feathered paint edge), keep at it and eventually with progressively fine wet and dry followed by a compounding you will get the perfect end result. Remember you are working with 'plastic', not metal or glass so if you go at it with too coarse a paper then you will have visible scratches and fine marks which will be more visible with the headlights on. A very well used 3000 grit wet and dry paper with plenty of water will remove the scratches you mentioned.
A friend of mine recently had an argument with a wall in her 2019 Hyundai which left a couple of very deep scratches on one headlight lens, which I managed to remove completely with some determined elbow grease and patience using just wet and dry and then a good compounding with progressively finer paste.
Personally, on my cars, I also start with 600 grit, getting progressively finer finishing with 3000 grit. As said, keeping the wet and dry paper very wet, and avoid any 'drag', and persevere and you'll get there. It takes time and patience but will transform the car.
I then applied a UV resistant polish to the lenses, which I reapply  everytime I wash the car to keep them clear and protect them from the elements.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite saloon & estate

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2024, 16:32:13 »

OOPS
« Last Edit: 15 July 2024, 16:34:05 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Yaris Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2024, 17:01:49 »

I used plain old metal polish on my Range Rover lenses as they were getting yellowish on the edges,I'd read about using it in a Practical Classics magazine they came up like new.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2024, 17:24:25 »

Same as others,  progressively finer wet and dry with in my case a G3 cutting paste, plenty of water !! and I even finished with 5000 grit or finer and again lots of water - Hose on fine spray.

Results crystal clear  :y and topped off with a wax.

Not a job to rush, and elbow grease needed.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2024, 17:50:45 »

Same as others,  progressively finer wet and dry with in my case a G3 cutting paste, plenty of water !! and I even finished with 5000 grit or finer and again lots of water - Hose on fine spray.

Results crystal clear  :y and topped off with a wax.

Not a job to rush, and elbow grease needed.
Hence I use the lazy bastard 3M kit and drill ;D
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2024, 19:11:47 »

I used ( in order) 600, 1500 and 3000 grit sandpaper and then a heavy duty polishing compound applied with a cloth.

I would use a drill head attachment to apply the polishing compound, however the one I have isn't up to the job and buying a new one for this small job would be a waste. I will say that the surface is not visibly smooth, and still has light scratches present, could this be an issue?

Your problem is that you missed out at least two stages after the 600 grit. 1500 is too fine to cut through the 600grit finish. And that was probably coarser than necessary, as I've never needed more than a few strokes of 1000grit to cut through the worst of the grot on really bad lamps.

So, before wasting time and polishing materials, buy a sheet each of 800, 1000 and 1200grit wet and dry paper - not sandpaper which is for woodwork.

Start with the 800, preferably on a flexible block, in a criss-cross pattern across the lens using plenty of soapy water. Once you've done a few strokes in each direction, wipe it dry and check you have an even finish across the surface. If you don't, repeat the process. Then you do the same with the 1000 and 1200 grit papers, finishing with your 1500.

That should give a smooth, dull, but nearly clear surface for you to finish with coarse(and then fine if you have it) rubbing compound. There's no need for anything fancy here, the materials used for improving paint are plenty good enough - I use old fashioned Farecla G3 and G10 because I have them. Headlights aren't big enough to really justify buying power tool attachments, when you can do the whole process, by hand, in about 10 minutes per lamp on the car.

If the lens has lots of tiny cracks, you should consider replacing it, because they are caused by UV light and can't be corrected.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2024, 19:45:31 »

i used to polish them up every year until my car went in for paintwork. they put a coat of clear laquer on the lights and they have been like new ever since. only 3 years so far but thats still better than once a year !  i was told that the uv makes them cloudy so a uv resistant laquer needs to go on .( as when they were new)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2024, 21:58:53 »

My method is basically similar to what has been mentioned previously. I went 320, 500, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500.

Then use either plastix polish or t-cut, followed by a coat or two of lacquer, or you'll be doing it again in pretty short order.

Before:
https://imgur.com/gallery/3NOocDr

After:
https://imgur.com/gallery/UDabJCb

Whether you do it by hand or drill really doesn't matter.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2024, 09:23:10 »

Whether you do it by hand or drill really doesn't matter.  ;D
You underestimate my levels of CBA ;D

But very true :y
Grumpy old man

ABCDEFG

• England
    • Vauxhall Corsa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2024, 11:52:06 »

This link may be a read to you.  :y

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90643.0

Thank you, it appears i may just need to stick at it a bit longer, and really take my time. I shall have another go at it tomorrow for a good few hours if needed and hopefully get it done.

ABCDEFG

• England
    • Vauxhall Corsa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2024, 11:54:32 »

I use the 3M kits designed for use in a drill, and find they work well with minimal fuss and effort.  You must keep it wet though.

Manually doing it with wet and dry, again keeping it wet, has been done by a few less idle than me on here with great effect.

If you are near me (Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire border), I'd be more than happy to use one of my kits on your Corsa.

Thank you for the offer is much appreciated, but definitely would like to try this myself. If I can't even do a simple job as this, god help me if I ever decide to try something more challenging on my car. 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.