Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Well, come on, let's do Ukraine  (Read 14603 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Well, come on, let's do Ukraine
« Reply #240 on: 13 March 2022, 19:45:19 »

I have great respect for the Ukranian people who although many are fleeing to become refugees there are many who have stayed to fight for their country,and also the Ukranian president who has stayed put to lead his people.I think Putin is trying to rebuild the old USSR at the very least[if he doesn't have even greater ambitions]yes Putin is getting on in years but how much  longer he will live is anyones guess and he can do an awful lot of damage in even a short time.Whilst the thought of possible nuclear/chemical/biological warfare horrifies me,let alone the death toll that can be inflicted by conventional warfare,I firmly believe if he's not stopped in Ukraine we'll have to stop him sooner or later and nearer to home.Sanctions are all very well but take a pretty long time to work especially while UK/Europe keep pumping millions[?] into Russia due to reliance on their gas/oil which the UK has apparently said they will phase out by the end of the year!!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 13 March 2022, 22:30:55 »

Fairly asy for the uk to wean itself off Russian oil/gas. The EU have just had a summit to agree strategies like EU army ( commanded by France mais d’accord), taking in refugees and not being reliant on Russian energy. On the last point they agreed to be non reliant by 2030! Europe is spending a billion a day on Russian energy if I remember correctly.

Sanctions are affecting ordinary Russians with food prices going up already.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 14 March 2022, 01:35:27 »

Yes must try to avoid ww3 but it looks like we’re going to have to confront him militarily very soon, it would be terrible if we had to step in say later on this week after many more have died and then they say told you so. Although hindsight is a wonderful thing  :-\

Laying a rubber road.

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 14 March 2022, 01:38:27 »

Legally it isn't our fight.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 14 March 2022, 08:34:42 »

US thinks Russia is asking China for help.

If that is true, then Putin didn’t plan his campaign very well!

There is still time for Wagner group or similar to commit an atrocity ( use of banned weapon for example) on “behalf “of Ukraine thus giving Putin legitimacy to step up or escalate his war effort .
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 14 March 2022, 10:44:35 »

Legally it isn't our fight.
                But it could very soon become it, just a bit of miss aimed weaponry or him ‘passing the red line’?
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 14 March 2022, 10:48:56 »

We could be invaded by Mars but I can see no reason to keep worrying about it. Self fulfilling prophesies and all that.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 14 March 2022, 12:04:05 »

We could be invaded by Mars but I can see no reason to keep worrying about it. Self fulfilling prophesies and all that.

Live everyday as if its your last & all that..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 14 March 2022, 12:19:29 »

Plan for the worse hope for the best👍
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 14 March 2022, 12:31:07 »

Other cliches are available.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 14 March 2022, 15:14:28 »

As far as Putin is concerned, a now proved lunatic
Have I missed something?  Surely even the Ruskis would remove him from office if it was proven that he was a sandwich short?  And the Chinese and Indian authorities wouldn't be so keen to back his regime either.

Now I'm not saying he has got all his dogs on one lead, or that its an allowable situation, but as we do not know what his plans are, I think we're still a way off calling it lunacy.

I wasn't around at the time, but was anyone calling Eisenhower a lunatic in the mid 50's, when the situation was reversed (in very simplistic terms)?
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 14 March 2022, 18:18:19 »

As far as Putin is concerned, a now proved lunatic
Have I missed something?  Surely even the Ruskis would remove him from office if it was proven that he was a sandwich short? And the Chinese and Indian authorities wouldn't be so keen to back his regime either.

Now I'm not saying he has got all his dogs on one lead, or that its an allowable situation, but as we do not know what his plans are, I think we're still a way off calling it lunacy.

I wasn't around at the time, but was anyone calling Eisenhower a lunatic in the mid 50's, when the situation was reversed (in very simplistic terms)?

I actually said…………..” and an absolute lunatic, monster, and completely evil bastard! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

I would also add of a paranoid character.  Yes, he has a circle of like minded men who are dreaming of a neo-Soviet Union.  But they are not close to him and he feels he cannot trust them, hence his meetings with them across a very long table, or by video feed. He no doubt is trying to protect himself from assassination like a bomb under the table!

He is following a pattern that dictators follow, like Hitler, of pushing his luck, gambling on weak opposition, and then acquiring land mass that he believes he has a right to, ignoring the risks to his own people and the extreme costs that could be the result, although always believing he will not lose.

Yes, judging him on what he has carried out so far in striving to reach his objectives in Ukraine, he IS a lunatic who is extremely dangerous.

As for Dwight D. Eisenhower, that President did not invade a democratic nation.  He opposed the spread of Communism, and the power of the Soviet Union and China, with of course the action to keep South Korea democratic.  He opposed the Soviet Union’s invasion of Hungary during their revolution to bring in democracy in 1956.  He also supported the aims to keep South Vietnam a democratic State. But he did not support the “Imperial” type invasion of Britain, Israel  and France in their attempt to control Egypt and it’s Suez Canal, also in 1956, by highly dubious means orchestrated by the mentally ill Anthony Eden.

So I cannot see how you can compare him and his actions, always favouring infant democracies, with Putin.  The latter is a completely different kettle of fish, as Putin is opposed to democracy. ;)
« Last Edit: 14 March 2022, 18:20:44 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 14 March 2022, 18:42:49 »

…………I would add that if you believe Putin is not a lunatic, mentally ill, just watch the latest news on his attacks on innocent civilians, in their homes, with even more women, children and men killed just for being Ukrainians supporting and living in their democratic country :'( :'( >:(

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 14 March 2022, 20:00:07 »

The current incumbent was elected on the back of a coup.

Although Putin's doings make as much sense as Angular Merkel trying to liberate Austria and Switzerland because they both speak 'German', but he has his reasons otherwise he wouldn't have bothered.

I suspect that the Oligarchs etc have tanked the Russian economy and thanks to social media, the population have gradually become aware of just how much they are being screwed and Putin is afraid of the implications of a nationwide uprising, after that went so well for Nikolas and his family, and is using this excuse of a land grab to retain domestic control. With the sanctions starting to bite, the Russian people are going to pay the short term price, and Putin will be able to blame it on Nato/UN as a propaganda victory, knowing full well that sanctions are all we can do.

Obviously he will push the edges of his war to the very line of Natos borders, and the recent bombing of an airbase near the Polish border was arguably a fair target and any foreign assets their were legitimate targets, not a declaration of escalation.

Actively targeting civilians is against any moral or legal rule of engagement, but Russian leaders tend to err on the side of excessive force to make their point to the domestic audience.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2022, 20:16:26 by Fraggles Rock »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 14 March 2022, 20:30:34 »

The one problem I have with the Ukranian side of the conflict is the fact that they are on the one hand being incredibly tough / brave / patriotic in order to protect the sovereignty democracy and right of self determination of their country, and at the same time desperately trying to join the EU.
Doesnt make any sense at all imo.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.