Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new house  (Read 4500 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: new house
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2017, 15:36:11 »

With that amount of worry. Your going to die within 24 hrs of coming thro the door.
Find something else to worry about that is important.!
Frozen beer and mayonnaise for example...
Onanists always think outside the box.

powerslinky

« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2017, 16:20:14 »

Only chrysotile was used in artex.  Not going to get involved too much in this thread because as soon as "Asbestos" is mentioned , a lot of people sh*t there pants. But risk from asbestos in artex is very minimal even less if it is left alone & not scraped, drilled, sawn or sanded.  Doubtless others will argue.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2017, 18:58:39 »

Only chrysotile was used in artex.  Not going to get involved too much in this thread because as soon as "Asbestos" is mentioned , a lot of people sh*t there pants. But risk from asbestos in artex is very minimal even less if it is left alone & not scraped, drilled, sawn or sanded.  Doubtless others will argue.

Correct and only a small percentage (1.8 to 3.8%) of Chrysotile was added. 2006 HSE report below say risk is low and you don't need a licensed contractor to remove it.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/meetings/iacs/acts/watch/010206/paper1.pdf
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2017, 07:28:38 »

You can get proper artex remover and it looks very safe and easy to use

http://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/homestrip-xtex/

Unfortunately for anyone in building trade or ship building they were all told asbestos was totally safe so no one gave a crap, I've heard stories of snow ball fights with lagging and one guy eating it to prove it's safe! Sadly many more people are yet to die from it and nothing can be done about it.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2017, 08:50:24 »

Iam moving to a 1980 built house and i had the survey report back today. It stated that the house may have asbestos in the artexed ceilings etc. Is they anyway i can find out before i start pulling ceilings down.
I have had a look on google but it only states to pay a company to come in and test it.

Artex of that period will have a small amount of asbestos in it, but so will any other house of the same period.

Look at the textured coatings section here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essentials/index.htm

2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2017, 08:52:16 »

Are you dead yet. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2017, 08:52:29 »

You can get proper artex remover and it looks very safe and easy to use

http://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/homestrip-xtex/

Unfortunately for anyone in building trade or ship building they were all told asbestos was totally safe so no one gave a crap, I've heard stories of snow ball fights with lagging and one guy eating it to prove it's safe! Sadly many more people are yet to die from it and nothing can be done about it.

Snow ball fights was exactly what my Grandad reported from the dockyard - he was fine, some of his friends were not. Very different material to what's in Artex though.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 February 2017, 09:41:28 »

As has been said, whilst Asbestos is not something to be taken lightly (and Mesothelioma did for a friend of mine in about 3 months flat) this sounds like the normal type of @rse-covering clause you will find in any surveyor's report from a house of that era. Get some professional advice if you feel inclined, but we've all been living in houses with that type of artex for decades. It's just worth bearing in mind that, if you decide you don't want it any more, it's better to skim or plasterboard over it than to try to remove it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 18 February 2017, 09:53:39 »

As has been said, whilst Asbestos is not something to be taken lightly (and Mesothelioma did for a friend of mine in about 3 months flat) this sounds like the normal type of @rse-covering clause you will find in any surveyor's report from a house of that era. Get some professional advice if you feel inclined, but we've all been living in houses with that type of artex for decades. It's just worth bearing in mind that, if you decide you don't want it any more, it's better to skim or plasterboard over it than to try to remove it.
Yeah. Quick coat of PVA adhesive and skim it. There are bound to be some tiny stalactites that need knocking off, but I wouldn't bother suiting up for that.  ;D

powerslinky

« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2017, 11:05:06 »

Exactly . . . would not let it put me off buying . As for earlier advice of reducing the price of the property for this issue  . . .unlikely  . . . but worth a try I suppose ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 February 2017, 11:32:04 »

Every house in most parts of the country get the Radon Gas arse covering survey stamp as well.

Worry not.  Most forms of asbestos aren't that bad anyway
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2017, 13:08:36 »

Are you dead yet. ;D
Hang on a minute while I check...
Onanists always think outside the box.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 February 2017, 16:36:29 »

lots of testing available; type artex asbestos testing into google eg £20 for a sample test http://artisansurveyors.co.uk/asbestos-sample-analysis/

lots of dodgy looking companies and claims lawyers too...

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 February 2017, 18:47:50 »

Are you dead yet. ;D
Hang on a minute while I check...

Obviously not as bad, as the op seems to think.

Don't panic.
Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 February 2017, 22:07:28 »

Imports of blue and brown were banned in the mid 80s, white around 99
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.